Arrgh…Why Was The “Moby Duck” Parked On SW 152nd?

Print This Post  Email This Post

Driving west on SW 152nd this afternoon and just had to pull over to see the Seafair Pirates’ official (and quite historic) amphibious vehicle, the Moby Duck, parked quietly (and legally?!!) on the side of road, nary a pirate or wench in sight:

The Moby Duck, parked on SW 152nd

Note the detail below the skull & swords, of some grog and a high heel.

From the Seafair Pirates website:

Starting her life as a 1946 vintage amphibian landing craft or DUKW, the Moby Duck came to the Seafair Pirates in 1954, permanently replacing a DUKW that had been loaned to the Pirates by the US Coast Guard.

Adorned with a writhing Chinese dragon painted by the late Weaver Dial, the Moby Duck made her debut in the 1954 Seafair celebrations.

Over the years Weaver often changed the paintwork. Variant schemes were tried but always the Duck returned to a “Spanish galleon” design, the better to announce to the world that it was indeed a genuine ship.

The first major refit for the Duck was in 1970, just before the Seafair Pirates traveled to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. It was this refit that saw the platform built on her stern transformed in the the first real “poop deck.”

With the passing of years, Moby’s stern grew in scale until reaching her maximum size during the 1991 refit by Captain Gary Kuhn. With only an occasional daub paint this version of the Duck made it through the 90s, but by and by the massive stern begun to sag and another major refit was desperately needed.

Recently, the Moby Duck was stripped down to the bare metal, exposing the extent of time’s damage. Rust was slowly eating her away. The first order of business was to remove fifty years (layers) of paint. Only then all the damage in the coachwork was repaired. Rusted metal was cut away and new plates were welded in, work continued until every dent and hole repaired. Meanwhile, a new poop deck was being fabricated of steel. Smaller and lighter , the steel quarter deck was then trimmed out in wood and fitted on the stern of the Duck.

Finally, painted in the red. gold and black of the 17th century ships of the line, the Moby Duck was ready to again sail forth with the crew of bloodthirsty Seafair Pirate.

And at least for one afternoon, it sits alone, quietly parked on SW 152nd.

Perhaps it’s longing for the nearby waters of Lake Burien?

Or perhaps the driver lives there?

Or (gulp), maybe it was duck-jacked and left behind? (last year someone stole some gold-plated cannons off it, so it’s feasible, matey…)

From what we can tell, the closest event this schooner on wheels will be attending is the West Seattle Hi-Yu Parade on July 19th or the Renton River Days July 26th.

So…does anyone know (or have any ideas) why said ship was in B-Town today?

Please email us, or risk walkin’ the plank ya scurvy dog!

UPDATE: Avast, it appears that all of B-Town is under a ful-fledged pirate attack!

We just found this listing on Craigslist today:

Small Pirate Devil Duck – $4 (Burien)

Small black rubber pirate devil duck

$4.00 cash only please.

Print This Post  Email This Post

Comments are closed.