Your Weed-Whacking Skills Are Needed July 19th
This summer isn’t the only thing that’s moving fast these days â€“ so are the numerous invasive weeds!
Now you can combine summer fun with your inner extreme gardener by taking part in a major weed-whacking expedition in the Miller Creek area of Burien on Sat. July 19th, from 9am to 11am.
The goal is to protect the investment in the native trees and shrubs volunteers planted there last October.
We call it Speed Weed-Whack Volunteering!
- Carefully unwind the bindweed (morning glory) climbing up the new trees and shrubs
- Dig up those blackberry canes coming back using the tiller-mattock hand tools â€“ fortunately, the canes are small and weak thanks to last yearâ€™s grubbing
- Spread the remaining mulch on trees with buckets
- Clip grass from around the willow stakes with shears
With a dozen people, this work will get done faster than a morning glory weed can sprout, and work wonâ€™t need to be done at the site again until the fall.
The location is on S. 144th St. about two blocks west of Des Moines Memorial Drive in Burien (see map below).
It is recommended that you bring:
- Sturdy shoes
- Re-usable water bottle
- Gloves if you have them (I have plenty to loan)
- Your enthusiasm!
Please RSVP by 10am, Friday, July 18 to ensure that there are enough tools for all.Â But if you decide to come at the last minute, donâ€™t worry as there will be a few extra tools.
Rumor has it that there will also be donuts provided!
More info here, or contact Dennis Clark at (206) 296-1909.