Sustainable Burien’s Next Meeting Is Aug. 24th
Sustainable Burien is having its second meeting on Sunday Aug. 24th at the Burien Library, from 2:30-4:30pm.
From their website:
Sustainable Burien is an organization started in January of 2008. We recognize the need to promote and participate in the creation of a sustainable community in Burien. We invite all residents and businesses to participate in creating a sustainable local community by sharing their ideas, passions, knowledge and talents.
At our first meeting we created five working Pods [Interest Groups] and developed an action item for each Pod group to work on between meetings. Active Pods will soon have space on the Interest Groups page where they can share information about what they’re doing and what they’ve learned. The current Pods and action items are as follows (listed in alphabetical order):
- Community: Recruit new members for future meetings. Pod members will advertise to our neighbors and throughout the community.
- Energy: Explore incentives for using solar energy looking at a) pay back, b) life cycle costs, c) break even, d) precursors to obtaining solar energy, e) bulk purchases, rebates, tax incentives.
- Environment: Reduce/Reuse/Recycle. Develop a list of environmentally friendly products and practical methods of obtaining them.
- Food: Encourage interest, spread the word on community gardening, gleaning, canning and preserving.
- Transportation: Find out about walking maps of Burien in English. Contact Feet First. Contact Sustainable Ballard and bike stores regarding the Undrivers’ License program. Research pedestrian and bicycle plans.