"Shush!" Says Your Library Manager For The 3rd Time
by Marilee A. Cogswell
Manager, â€¨Burien Library
As every faithful library fan knows, the expression “third time’s a charm” was probably first referenced in Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Letters Addressed to R. H. Horne (1839) with the expression ‘The luck of the third adventure.‘
But the reason I’m using it here is because this is my third (and henceforth most charming â€“ so far) column for the wonderful B-Town Blog.
Of course I must start out my column by fulfilling my contractual obligation, else risk losing this wonderful soap box/bully pulpit, which I cherish only slightly less than the smell of books themselves, and that is this word:
Now that that’s over with, let’s move on to the business at hand…
LIBRARIES CLOSED LABOR DAY:
All King County Library System libraries will be closed Monday Sept 1st for Labor Day.Â For a complete list of 2008 library closures please visit http://www.kcls.org/usingthelibrary/holidays.cfm.
- Book Discussion Group @ Burien Library
Wednesday Sept 17th @ 2pm: â€˜Three cups of tea: one manâ€™s mission to fight terrorism and build nations– one school at a timeâ€™ by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
- Opera Preview
Wednesday Sept 24th @ 7pm: Norma Hollingshead will be discussing Richard Straussâ€™ voluptuous epic tragedy ofÂ â€˜Eleckraâ€™ â€“ you donâ€™t want to miss this one! Sponsored by the Burien Library Guild
- Programs for teens
SAT Prep Class Saturdays Sept 20 & 27th, October 4th, 11th & 18th @ 2pm â€“ Presented by Sandweiss Test Prep. Students must attend ALL five sessions.Â This series will help prepare studentsÂ for all sections of the SAT test.Â Practice exams will be scored and returned. Registration BEGINS Sept 2nd.
- Programs for children
Burien, Boulevard Park, and White Center Libraries ALL have regularly scheduled story times for toddlers and preschoolers, please check the programs page at http://www.kcls.org/programs/index.cfm for dates and times.
DID YOU KNOW?
- King County Library Homepage InfoVote 2008 links to answers for all your election-related questions, from voter registration and polling locations to background on candidates and issues. Start here to find details, context, and analysis to help new and seasoned voters make informed decisions about all candidates and issues on the ballot.
- We Have 2009 Calendars For Sale!
The Burien Library Guild is now selling 2009 â€˜Book Loverâ€™sâ€™ calendars for $7 each. Be sure to stop by the Burien Library for your copy before they are all gone!Â All proceeds support library programs and supplies.
- Set in Washington State during World War I
- Plot revolves around the flu epidemic and the advent of organized labor
- A well written tale that knits together dilemmas facing the people of a small logging town
- Spies, union organizers, and fear of disease and death all come into play even as the townsfolk try to shut themselves off from the outside world
- A very good read!
Well, that’s all I’ve got time for this week, but please come back soon for more, and of course come visit your local Library, but in the meantime, please don’t forget to SHUSH!