Tukwila's Backyard Wildlife Festival Is Saturday, May 9th
Tukwila’s annual Backyard Wildlife Festival is a free all-day event on Saturday, May 9th, to educate and inspire people to welcome wildlife – such as birds, butterflies, and other wildlife – into their backyards, gardens and communities.
Appropriately, coming up on Mother (Earth)’s Day weekend, and it’s a free, all-day event to educate and inspire people to welcome wildlife – such as birds, butterflies, and other wildlife – into their backyards, gardens and communities.
Here are the details:
WHAT: 9th Annual Backyard Wildlife Festival
WHEN: Saturday, May 9th, from 9am to 3pm; Craft Vendors, Education, Workshops: 9am – 3pm; Certified Wildlife Garden Tour: 1pm – 5pm
WHERE: Tukwila Community Center, locted at 12424 42nd Ave. South in Tukwila (map below)
INFO: The event will host a variety of activities and educational opportunities on how to attract and support wildlife through garden and landscape practices, and creating and preserving wildlife habitat in our region.
- Keynote Speaker Chris Heeter – Join wilderness guide, speaker, and poet Chris Heeter speak about how to reconnect with the natural world, right outside our windows. (11am and 2pm)
- The Parrot Lady – Catch a peek at some live Parrots!
- Guided Birding Walk on the Duwamish River by Carol Schulz of the Rainier Audubon Society (9:45am)
- Procession of the Species Costume Parade â€“ a procession of children of all ages dancing and marching in costumes that mimic their favorite northwest wildlife (Workshop and sign-ups 9am-11:30am, parade at noon)
- Native Plant Sales – Talk to the experts about what plants will thrive on your property, ask about drought-tolerant plants and have your questions answered while you purchase the plants that will make your property a wildlife-paradise. (9am â€“ 3pm)
- Arts and Crafts Marketplace – Browse gardening and nature related product booths including plant sales, fresh produce, birdhouses and more. (9am â€“ 2pm)
- Bird Show of North America – The musical group will be performing their trademark bird songs live while painting scenes of birds. (10:00am and 12:30pm)
- Garden Tour – Take a self-guided tour or the shuttle to certified wildlife habitat gardens in the area. (1â€“5pm)
- Recycled Art Show – A showcase of local art create by recycled materials. The Recycled Art Show even includes prizes for the best!
CONTACT: Event Hotline: Tukwila Community Center (206) 768-2822
More info at the Backyard Wildlife Festival website.
View Larger Map