Skipper’s Flounders, Might Be Sleeping With Da Fishes

Skipper’s Seafood & Chowder, located at 901 SW 148th Street in Burien at Ambaum (map below), appears to have floundered and may be sleeping with da fishes, with this eviction notice posted on its locked doors:

The notice was originally posted by King County Sheriff’s officers on April 3rd, but we only learned about it from a BTB Reader last week.

Currently, the building sits empty, with doors locked and the inside still full of typical restaurant equipment.

UPDATE 5/5/09: Sgt. John Urquhart told us Tuesday morning (5/5) that the owner owes back-rent of $48,000:

“I have been able to determine the eviction involves back-rent totaling about $48,000, plus attorney fees, according to documents filed with the court.”

Also our astute Facebook friend Brian Dirks updated us that Skippers has retained GVA Kidder Mathews to coordinate the disposition of all leasehold and business interests acquired by Skippers and to market and solicit Buyers for the 3,300 square foot restaurant on the nearly-25,000 s.f. property (for more info, or if you want to put a bid on it, click here – yes, you can actually bid through the skippersforsale.com website!).

Sgt. John Urquhart of King County Sheriff’s didn’t have much more info, offering this statement via email:

There really is no information the Sheriff’s Office has.  We were merely operating on a court order.

As with all evictions, the Superior Court of King County orders us to take control of a premise and make sure whoever is occupying that premise packs up their belongs and leaves.  Then we turn the premise over to the property owners.

With residential property there can be a number of reasons why the landlord got the eviction notice, including not paying the rent, operating a nuisance, drug activity……whatever.

However with a business property the reason is most likely they didn’t pay their rent.  But we have no way of knowing and don’t really care, since we do 4,500 to 5,000 evictions of one sort or another every year.

The Skipper’s chain of restaurants filed for bankruptcy in December of 2007, after owing creditors $6.7 million, approximately $2 million of which was to the Internal Revenue Service.

Twenty-one of the outlets were then purchased by individual owners, including this one in Burien.

If any Readers know more information about this Skipper’s, please email us or leave a Comment below.

View Larger Map

Comments

14 Responses to “Skipper’s Flounders, Might Be Sleeping With Da Fishes”
  1. Jessica G. says:

I was always impressed by that Skippers. It was SPARKLING clean and the service was good. I can't say that for any other fast food place I've been to.

2. Jamie says:

I went down hill fast. It wasn't the way I remembered it the last time our family went there. The whole Herfy's burger thing was a last ditch effort that failed. I hope it does not turn into a Mexican restaurant or grocery store. We have enough here in Burien. Love the culture but let not forget about diversity….lol or am I?

3. Kristian strait says:

I will miss that Skppers. Iremember taking my daughter there when i worked at Burien tow for lunch. That just down right sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. The interesting thing is that they apparently left so quickly they forgot to turn off the lights — or at least the timers that control them. I just drove past on my way to pick up Chinese take out at my favorite Burien spot (Ming Wong, recommended!) and all the exterior signs were blazing away, and the menu inside was lit up as well.

5. Leah says:

what a waste of a carbon footprint.

6. unclewoo says:

Just another sign of the times. Empty store fronts everywhere in Burien. Drive down 154th, empty shops. The new town square has no retail merchants, and they wonder why only 30% of the condos are sold. Its all going to be latino restaurants, thats just the way it is.

7. Tcb says:

Unclewoo,
    It's 152nd so I guess if you were really from here you'd know that. There are a couple of comments here disrespecting Hispanic businesses. First, you're a racist. Second, there are a few Hispanic businesses in Burien, along with shops that are owned by or cater to people from Germany, Thailand, Many other Asian locations including China, The Pacific Islands, Eastern Europe and Russia, Italy, The Middle East and Northern Africa, and many more parts of the world than I care to think about, plus since you're so worried about it the vast majority of businesses are good old American white folks. I am proud that Burien and White Center is the real "International District" in the Seattle Metro area. Right now looking at some of the businesses that are failing is sad but I know that it will pick up. Personally I always thought that Skippers was pretty terrible Fish and Chips. Burien is betting that a family owned Fish and Chips shop will fare better than a chain and it's true. If you look downtown Seattle you will see plenty of empty storefronts as well. Town Square will fill up with people and shops. All the naysayers need to take a pill.

8. candice. says:

Tcb: they're "racist" because they said they didn't want ANOTHER Mexican restaurant?! My husband and I were looking for a place to have dinner the other night. Since we're not exactly made of money we were looking through the Entertainment Book for a coupon… then I went to the Entertainment website. When I went to see what coupons were available for Burien 6 of the 12 coupons were for Mexican restaurants. 6!!!

Granted we did end up going to La Costa and it was delicious. But don't go flying off the handle and calling folks racist for saying something that is a fact. They weren't disrespecting anybody. It'd be like me saying "Gosh, I hope they don't open another Albertson's or Check Into Cash there." And let's face it… we don't need another Albertson's or Check into Cash, do we?

You come off as sounding like YOU need to take a pill… seriously.

9. Tcb says:

Hey Candice. I don't use all caps. It's a little excitable. Take another mothers little helper.
    I can think of about 4 or 6 mexican restaurants. Also about 10 Chinese restaurants. Why didn't you mention them? "I hope they don't put in another Chinese restaurant." Well I for one hope they don't put in another national chain Chilis/Oive Garden/whatever.
    I hope another Mexican restaurant goes in because it will make you seethe.

10. Tcb says:

Addendum: My argument: I hope that something moves in. Whatever the market will support. I hope a Gay owned business moves in. I hope a Pet shop moves in. I hope a car repair shop moves in. I hope "another" Mexican restaurant moves in. Whatever moves in, it's better than an empty building, and the people will decide whether it sticks around by supporting it. No support, no business.
    Your argument: I hope "those people" don't open another restaurant.
    Prove me wrong.

11. Barb says:

Speaking of restaurants — I grew up in Burien and lived there for 50 years. Our absolute favorite restaurant has always been Wah Kue. I always say that I was raised on their food. Since I've moved away it is a real treat to buy take out from Wah Kue and take to my mother's for dinner! But the last two times we've done that I was horribly disappointed in the quality of the food. The food tasted old – like it had been warmed over from the previous day. The first time it happened I was willing to give them another chance, but when it happened twice, I just can't continue. I'm so disappointed. It was always the very best!

12. AUDRENA(AUDREY) says:

HELLO EVERYONE,
    IF ANYONE STILL GOES ON THIS SITE MY NAME IS AUDREY…
    I WORK AT THE SKIPPERS IN BURIEN YES WE ARE BACK AND WE ARE UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT AND NEW OWNERSHIP… AND I’AM PLEASED TO WELCOME BACK ALL FORMERS CUSTOMERS..THE NAME OF THE NEW OWNER IS SCOTT WAY AND HE IS A VERY NICE MAN….THE GENERAL MANAGERS NAME IS ARSENIO VILLANUEVA HE’S A VERY SWEET KIND MANAGER..I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE PROBABLY HEARD THIS MANY TIMES BEFORE FROM OUR SKIPPERS BUT YES WE ARE BACK TO OUR OLD FISH AND CHOWDER WE DONT HAVE ANY RED CHOWDER SORRY ALL BUT WE DO HAVE MANY OF YOUR FAVORITE FISH DISHES LIKE OUR WONDERFUL ALL YOU CAN EAT FISH AND CHIPS AND NOW WE HAVE OUR CLASSIC FISH AND CHIP ALL YOU CAN EAT FOR A SPECIAL $9.49 ON TUESDAYS COMPARED TO $11.49 WHICH IS STILL A GREAT PRICE WE ALSO HAVE DRIVE THRU ORDERS AND YOU CAN ORDER BY PHONE ALSO
    WE HAVE A GREAT CREW WITH FANTASTIC PERSONALITIES .. SO COME ON IN AND DON’T FORGET TO LOOK FOR ME AUDREY AT YOUR SKIPPERS IN BURIEN (I WEAR RED GLASSES) SO YOU CAN FIND ME WHEN YOU COME ON IN..
    OR FEEL FREE TO CALL US AT 1 206 248 5339

13. Rainycity says:

1st.
    I was wondering about that today when I drove by and noticed the reader board said Grand opening,come in for some fish and football or something like that.
    But anyways,, yes, Skippers had good fish-but man, it was a little spendy I thought for a fast food joint.
    2nd.
    Ohhhh boy , here we go, nothing like thin skinned people to take EVERYTHING said, take it completely out of context and turn it into something it`s not..
    People can`t say anthing anymore without someone doing something of that nature.
    TCB, you may want to stick to craigslist my friend,,
    ooops, was that prejudice??? *lol*

14. R Quig says:

Speaking of restaurants, anyone remember The Barb Restaurant? Someone’s reference to the Wah Ku restaurant made me think of other old places.
    …and there’s House of Values….and the list goes on!

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!