Last fall, a hardy band of volunteers  ventured down into the ravine beneath the Sylvester Road bridge in Normandy Park, where they worked to clear hundreds of pounds of garbage around Fox Creek, a tributary stream to Miller Creek. While these folks removed most of the trash, some remains, and more hardy souls are requested to help haul the rest of this garbage out this Saturday, May 16th between 9am and 11am.
There is also an abundance of invasive English ivy that has grown up many of the trees. If left unchecked, this invasive weed will kill the trees and deprive the stream of the benefits they provide. Volunteers will girdle the ivy at the base of the trees, greatly extending their lives.
So, once again the call goes out to watershed citizens who will brave the steep slopes of Fox Creek ravine to care for this ecological resource and improve water quality downstream:
WHAT: Fox Creek volunteer garbage/ivy removal in the ravine below Sylvester Bridge
WHEN: Saturday, May 16th from 9am to 11am
WHERE: Meet at the hairpin turn on 11th Place SW just down the hill from the intersection with Sylvester Road, Normandy Park.
INFO: Please RSVP via email to Dennis Clark  so he can plan accordingly and to guarantee your doughnut!
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING:
- Shoes with gripping soles and good ankle support â€“ weâ€™ll be on steep slopes
- Clothes that can get dirty if you slip
- Layers of clothing â€“ youâ€™ll warm up quickly moving up and down the slope or gathering trash along the creek
- Hard hat if you have one â€“ I have plenty if you donâ€™t
- Sun glasses or safety glasses if you wish to use them (primarily due to bushes)
- A water bottle
- Parking is limited. If you can carpool, walk, or bike, that would be great. We will meet at the hairpin turn at the top of 11th Place S.W., just below the intersection with Sylvester Road. If you arenâ€™t familiar with this location and need to MapQuest or Google it, use the following as your destination address: 16856 11th Pl. S.W., Normandy Park, 98166.
- If you drive, proceed down 11th Place S.W. past the hairpin and park as far off the road as you can. Take care to avoid blocking driveways or damaging the neighborsâ€™ vegetation.
- Students 16 and older are welcome.
- Those under age 18 should download and complete this form  with a parent or guardian’s signature to allow their participation. Those over 18 do not need to fill out the form; they can sign in on Saturday.