Major Recycling Event Is This Saturday, May 16th
The Normandy Park and Burien Spring Recycling Event and Rain Barrel Sale is scheduled for this Saturday, May 16th from 9am – 3pm at the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center, which is located at 19010 First Avenue South.
At this event you can safely dispose of numerous unwanted materials, some for free, others for a small fee.
Here are the details:
WHAT: Normandy Park & Burien Recycling Collection Event
WHEN: Saturday, May 16th from 9 am to 3 pm
WHERE: Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center
INFO: Recycle these household wastes:
- TIRES: Bias ply, steel belted, and studded tires accepted. Limit 6 passenger tires per household (18 inches and below) free of charge. $1.50 charge for each tire on a rim. $5 charged for each large truck tire and $15 charged for each truck tire on rim (cash only). No oversized tires accepted.
- MOTOR OIL, FILTERS, & ANTIFREEZE: Motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, 2-cycle oil, steering fluid, crankcase oil, kerosene, and home heating fuel. Do not mix with antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or other substances.
Items Must Meet the Following Guidelines:
- LEAD ACID BATTERIES: Car, truck, marine, and motorcycle batteries accepted.
- ALKALINE BATTERIES: AAAA, AAA, AA, A, B, C, and D cell batteries only.
- CARDBOARD: Please flatten. No wax coated cardboard.
- REUSEABLE HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND CLOTHING: Clothing and miscellaneous household items in good condition will be collected by Seattle Goodwill. Mattresses and furniture will not be accepted. Items in need of repair will not be accepted.
- PORCELAIN TOILETS AND SINKS: $5 charge (cash only). Toilet seats, hardware, and base wax rings must be removed.
- PROPANE TANKS: Residential tanks only. $5 charge (cash only).
- CLEAN SCRAP WOOD: Includes milled wood, plywood, pallets, and other untreated and unpainted wood. No peg board, particle or press board.
- BULKY WOOD: Includes large tree branches (minimum 6 inches in diameter), logs, and stumps. No leaves, grass, small branches, sod, or brush. Please lay a tarp under material for ease of removal.
- ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, cellular phones and computer peripherals such as keyboards and mice. Computer monitors and televisions will not be accepted. You can recycle these items for free at other locations – see the E-Cycle box for more information.
Household Hazardous Wastes can be taken to the Household Hazardous Wastemobile or one of three household hazardous waste collection sites. Normandy Park and Burien residents may use the South Seattle Household Hazardous Waste Facility â€“ 8105 5th Avenue South, Seattle. Open 9:30 am â€“ 4:30 pm, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (except holidays). Volume restrictions apply.
Latex paint is no longer considered hazardous waste and the household hazardous waste facilities in King County (the Wastemobile, Factoria, and two Seattle sites) no longer accept it. Residents who cannot use up latex paint, please dry it out and put it in the garbage with the lid off. Visit the King County website www.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/swd for more information on how to dry out latex paint.
- No Scrap Metal
- No construction/demolition debris
- No plastic toys, hoses, etc.
- No window glass
- These hazardous wastes:
- No oil based paint
- No pesticides/herbicides
- No household chemicals
- No cleaning products
- No fluorescent lights
For event information, call 206-248-7603 or visit www.govlink.org/hazwaste/house/disposal/ or call the Household Hazards Line Monday to Friday 9 am to 4:30 pm except holidays at 206-296-4692.
Appliances and scrap metals will not be collected at this event. Appliances and scrap metals will be collected at a similar event this fall. Washington now has a FREE recycling program called â€œE-Cycle Washingtonâ€ for computers, computers monitors, laptops, and televisions. Call 1-800-RECYCLE or visit 1800recycle.wa.gov to find authorized E-Cycle Washington collection locations. In the Burien/Normandy Park area you may drop off computers, computers monitors, laptops, and televisions at no charge at the following E-Cycle Washington locations: Burien Goodwill Store (1031 SW 128th Street, Burien, WA 98146) and Salvation Army Burien Store (16033 1st Ave S, Burien, WA 98148). Please note – drop off locations may change. Quantities accepted are limited. Please also note that computer peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and printers are not included in this program but will be accepted at City Recycling Collection Events.
Rain Barrel & Compost Bin Sale:
To encourage the use of recycled content material and more efficient use of water, the cities of Burien and Normandy Park are offering recycled plastic rain barrels at a huge discount. In addition, start backyard composting with a compost bin to save resources and money. Composting is a natural process that turns yard waste into rich soil. Yard wasteâ€”grass, leaves, old flowersâ€”contain mostly water. Once the material decomposes, rich soil is all thatâ€™s left.
$20 each. Cash only. While supplies last. No pre or post event sales.