PHOTO: Aura Captured At Burien Town Square Opening?

BTB Reader Kathi Vallade sent us the photo above, which she took at Saturday’s Burien Town Square grand opening celebration; here’s what she had to say about it:

OK…So I was at the Burien Town Square opening today and snapped this random picture of this girl walking by because I thought her hair was adorable! (It had a few different colors in stripes,kind of like a rainbow…SUPER CUTE!)

ANYWAYS, when I got home and uploaded the pictures I noticed it looks like I may have captured her Aura! (Cool huh?!)

I would love to find her to show her the photo but HOW on Earth do you go about finding a complete stranger ?!

(And how weirdo does it sound “Hi, I took your picture at random and saw this interesting glow around you and just HAD to track you down!”)

So…is the light around the girl’s head her “aura” or just lens flare?

We sent the original, uncropped photo to our Photographer Michael Brunk, who studied it Γ’β‚¬β€œ here’s his take:

Having seen the uncropped original, I’d say this is almost definitely lens flare.

It was taken around 12:30pm according to the meta-data, so the sun was starting to burn through the clouds about that time. You can see the camera was pointing slightly up and to the right, which angles the lens towards the bright natural light bouncing off the clouds. And this was shot with a Canon Powershot A720 so it most likely did not have a lens hood on which would tend to help prevent lens flare.

This thread has a couple of examples of lens flare that look very similar to the photo you sent. It’s just a fluke that in this case, the visible artifact is centered on the girl’s head:

So…what do YOU think? Is that an “aura” or just lens flare? Please Comment below…

16 Responses to “PHOTO: Aura Captured At Burien Town Square Opening?”
  1. Theresa says:

Not a fluke!!

2. Stacie says:

I go to Michael for photography questions, I love his work and totally respect everything he has to say about photography. He's very gifted. That being said, I'm a HUGE believer in aura's!!! Fluke or not, it's an awsome photo!

3. Jen says:

Personally I think if it was a glare that it would have been larger. This is just over the subject of the pic. Definately "aura" Great catch!

4. Devin says:

Looked up Aura colors:
    YELLOW: Spontaneous, intellect, happy, and cheerful. A sense of humor, confident, optimistic, with a warm smile are typical.
    People with yellow auras have the ability to brighten the lives of those around them. Yellows bring warmth, originality and exhilaration they usually are playful, fun loving, humorous, and somewhat childlike. They pay attention to details, organization and are disciplined!

5. unclewoo says:

I don't know anything about aureas, but the kid walking behind her seems to think its a good thing. We should all be so seemingly happy, confident and optimistic.

6. Caroline says:

I've seen various phenomena in photos that can't be explained. It's amazing what can be captured at times..yes, possibly an aura! Or at least I'd rather think of the glow as an aura, eminating positivity & happiness from the girl with the rainbow hair..GREAT pic, love it!
    I will be a new resident of Burien in 2 weeks & found it inspiring!!

7. candice. says:

That girl walks by my house every day. She's adorable. She seems so happy-go-lucky… her aura IS shining through!

8. candice. says:

Oh and FYI: she must go to Evergreen High School. It seems she's passing my house on her way home from school each day. Try finding her at school, I'd say.

9. kathi V. says:

I'm thrilled to see most people are agreeing with me!
    Thanks Devin for Looking up what the YELLOW Aura means because, even though I only saw her for a few moments, she TOTALLY gave off a "playful, fun loving,confidence!"
    (Which was the whole reason I felt I needed to take her picture in the 1st place!)
    Thank You Scott for Posting my photo!
    πŸ™‚ Kathi

10. Steven Taub says:

Could it be a sign from god????? πŸ™‚

• Kathi says:

It could be Steve…
      or some sort of good luck for me because exactly 1 week later…I won a B-Town Blog t-shirt in the Strawberry festival drawing!! (I see you won something too,Congrats!!)

11. angel says:

im not a professional when it comes to photography bu i take a lot of picures. And after looking closly at the picture i can not see how it is possible that it is camera flare. It appearsthat the whole street you are on is casted in the buildings shadow. i think if there was sun glare it would have casted across the photo not circle around the girls head. That is definantly her aura, and ifyou look closly enough you can tell that her aura is not only yellow,but there is a tinge of green in it…which means “creative withheart and communicative” and from what you say about her hair i think that is right on.

12. andygirl :) says:

if you look even closely you can see that she also has a small streak of red by the outer circle of the aura (sorri if im soo being fancy).just like that green, only a smaller amount. and according to my research, red means powerfull, passionate, competitive, energetic and (to my surprise) sexual.

there is also a bit of florescent orange, which means she is creative and funky, in shorter words.
    if you want more meanings (im not an advertiser) visit:
    have a great mothers day!!!!!

13. andygirl :) says:

and apparently shes holding a phone to her ear which means she could have just gotten some great news.

I LOVE AURAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS NO FAKE I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!
    i think….. πŸ™‚

14. andygirl :) says:

if anyone says they dont believe i get sad… πŸ™

15. andygirl :) says:

today i saved a baby (kind of) budgie! it bit me a few times but yea….. good uck sure spreads fast!!!! peace, love, happiness, andygirl πŸ™‚