Your Empress Of Information Says: “Slather Up & Read A Great Book!”
Summer is here dear Readers, which means it’s time to slather yourself with gobs of SPF750, cover your nose with zinc oxide, then find a shady spot and read a great book borrowed for FREE from your brand new library!
DID YOU KNOW?
All of the public-use computers in the King County Library System are being updated to Microsoft Office 2007! Visit our webpage for tutorials on all Office 2007 software here.
TEENS & SUMMER:
- “Read Three, Get One Free Summer Edition & Video Book Review Contest” is going on! Be sure to get your entries in by August 31st to be eligible to win fabulous prizes, like a laptop computer and cool Flip Video cameras! Check out our website to get all the details and entry forms here.
- Study Zone â€“ keep your brain tuned up for school! Burien Library Wednesdays this summer beginning at 3:30pm.
- The Summer Reading Program for elementary and preschool kids is underway. There are lots of free and fun programs coming to a library near you. Check out ALL KCLS Summer Reading Programs on our website here.
- “Up Up & Away” â€“ spellbinding scientific experiments for ages 4+ at the White Center Library Tuesday July 21st 2pm, Sponsored by the White Center Library Guild.
- “Create a Puppet” â€“ come and build your own puppet for ages 3+ at the Boulevard Park Library Tuesday July 28th 11am.
- “Rock Out with Recess Monkey” â€“ blast off with imaginative rock nâ€™ roll â€“ all ages at the Burien Library Wednesday July 22nd 11am.
- Master Gardeners at the Burien Library every Wednesday beginning at 5pm and Saturdays beginning at 11am in the lobby.
- ESL (English as a Second Language) Tuesdays & Thursdays through August 16th at the Burien Library, class starts at 6:00pm, presented by Highline Community College.
At the age of 17, Marco Poloâ€™s travels began when he accompanied his father and uncle to the court of the infamous Mongol leader Kublia Khan. Essentially held captive by Kublia Khan for over seventeen years, Marco served as an emissary for the great Khan during his â€˜coming of ageâ€™ years. Marco kept a journal of his travels and years later collaborated with Rustichello da Pisa to compile â€˜The Travels of Marco Poloâ€™. Many revisions and additions were made to the â€˜Travelsâ€™ over Marcoâ€™s life time, the original manuscript did not survive.
Though many did not believe much of what Marco Polo claimed to have witnessed (some still donâ€™t), Bergreen, in this most recent book, uses 19th and 20th century Chinese scholars to verify many of facts and events that Marco Polo claimed to have witnessed. An extremely readable and fascinating book that most vividly brings to life the fabulously wealthy and powerful Kublia Khan.
This biography is available on CD too, which makes it not only worth a read, but worth a listen as well!
‘Til next time, we’ll see you on the beach with a great book (and plenty of sunscreen)!