“Happy Hour Weeding” Coming To Miller Creek July 22nd
Our friend Dennis Clark, Miller/Walker Creek Basin Steward, sends us this unusual event â€“ a “Happy Hour Weeding” gathering from 5-6pm on Wed., July 22nd at the Miller Creek restoration project.
Here’s what Dennis had to say:
“Because I received no advance sign-ups for Saturdayâ€™s weeding party at our restoration project on Miller Creek at S. 144th St., Iâ€™m going to cancel that event.
We will not surrender to the weeds, however!
On the premise that people want to reserve the beautiful weekends weâ€™re enjoying this summer for fun activities, weâ€™re going to try something a little different: a short weeding on a weekday evening.
To make it easier to squeeze volunteering for our streams into your busy summer schedules, Iâ€™m asking for just ONE HOUR OF YOUR TIME during 5 p.m. â€“ 6 p.m. on Wednesday, July 22. You can stop by on your way home from work, whack some weeds, and then head off knowing you did your part to help steward the stream. Itâ€™ll be â€œhappy hourâ€ for us and â€œunhappy hourâ€ for the weeds.
The location is on South 144th Street, two blocks west of Des Moines Memorial Drive in Burien.
We have several different weeding-type tasks to get done:
- Carefully unwind the bindweed (morning glory) climbing up our two-year old trees and shrubs
- Dig up those blackberry canes coming back using the tiller-mattock hand tools â€“ fortunately, the canes are small and weak thanks to two-yearâ€™s worth of good grubbing
- Clip grass from around the willow stakes with shears
With a dozen people, weâ€™ll get this work done quickly and we wonâ€™t need to return to the site until the fall!
- Sturdy shoes
- Clothes that wonâ€™t get stained by grasses
- Gloves if you have them (I have plenty if you donâ€™t)
- Your enthusiasm!
- 5 â€“ 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 22
- South 144th Street, two blocks west of Des Moines Memorial Drive in Burien.
Dennis also adds:
“If you wish, RSVP, although RSVPing is not necessary â€“ simply come on by and put in a little time on our project.
During the event, you can reach me at 206-369-8339 (but please do not leave message).”