Burien Little Theatre Auditioning For "Christmas With The Crawfords"
Burien Little Theatre is seeking adult actors to play characters ranging from age 2 to 49 (including some cross-dressers) to audition for the musical comedy â€œChristmas with the Crawfordsâ€ on Monday, Aug. 24th and Tuesday, Aug. 25th.
Auditions will be:
- Monday, Aug. 24 from 7pm to 10pm
- Tuesday, Aug. 25 from 7pm 10pm
- Callbacks are Wednesday, Aug. 26 from 7:30pm to 10:30pm
“Christmas with the Crawfords,” was created by Richard Winchester and written by Mark Sargent.
Featuring Hollywoodâ€™s most famous dysfunctional family, this musical comedy pays tribute to and parodies Tinseltownâ€™s â€œGolden Age.â€ To revive her ailing career, Joan Crawford arranges a live radio broadcast in her home on Christmas Eve, 1944, but uninvited celebrity guests hog the spotlight to sing their holiday favorites. A surprise hit since 1992.
- Performances will be at Burien Little Theatre in Burien weekends from Nov. 27 to Dec. 20, 2009.
- Rehearsals begin Sunday, Oct. 18.
Stage director is Steve Cooper and music director Ann Sager.
- $100 stipend provided.
- For auditioning, please prepare two short contrasting songs (serious/comedy; ballad/patter) and a short comic monologue under two minutes long. Accompanist will be provided.
- Please also bring headshot and resume.
- Actors invited to callbacks will do cold readings from the script and working with music from the show.
- Please make an audition appointment: [email protected] or call Burien Little Theatre at 206-242-5180.
- Auditions and callback will be in Studio 2 at the Burien Community Center, located at the intersection of S.W. 146th St. and 4th Ave. S.W. in Burien. For directions, go to www.burienlittletheatre.com.
CHARACTERS (*Note: Traditionally, many of these are cross-dressing roles, particularly Joan Crawford, but we are open to either gender):
- Joan Crawford â€“ Traditionally, a gender-bending role, but we are open to either gender, age 39, famous movie star, desperate to revive her ailing career
- Christina Crawford â€“ Female role, age 5 (but played by an adult), Joanâ€™s daughter, actress and author, who became best known for writing â€œMommie Dearest,â€ an expose of alleged child abuse by Joan Crawford
- Christopher Crawford â€“ Male role, Joanâ€™s son, age 2 (but played by an adult)
- Shirley Temple â€“ Female role, age 16, famous movie star, sheâ€™s a sugar-coated tough cookie
- Jane Crawford â€“ Female role, age 36, Joanâ€™s â€œsister,â€ actually a younger version of Baby Jane as played by Bette Davis in â€œWhatever Happened to Baby Jane?â€
- Andrews Sisters â€“ famous singing trio who also appeared in several films
- Laverne â€“ Female role, age 33
- Maxene â€“ Female role, age 28
- Patty â€“ Female role, age 26
- Hedda Hopper â€“ Female role, age 59, film actress and famous Hollywood gossip columnist
- Judy Garland â€“ Female role, age 22, famous movie star and singer
- Gloria Swanson â€“ Female role, age 45, famous movie star on the downside of her career
- Hattie McDaniel â€“ Female role, age 49, African-American signer and film actress, best known for her role as Mammie in the film â€œGone with the Windâ€
- Carmen Miranda â€“ Female role, age 35, Portuguese-born Brazilian samba singer and famous star of stage and screen
- Ethel Merman â€“ Female role, age 36, famous stage actress
And while we’re not in charge of these auditions, we’d recommend NOT bringing any wire hangers…ever!