“Arts-A-Glow” Is Coming To Burien Town Square & B/ IAS Saturday, Sept. 12th
Burien’s annual “Arts-A-Glow” festival is coming Saturday, Sept. 12th, from 5pm to 10pm at Burien Town Square as well as the Interim Art Space.
During Arts A-Glow the park will be lit by beautiful and fascinating original, artist-created lantern sculptures starting around 8pm. Everyone is invited to:
“Come explore on this magical evening, make your own lantern and join the procession at dusk!Â We will have musicians and performers around every corner and treats to be sampled too.”
You can also sign up for one of the upcoming August Lantern Making Workshops at the Moshier Art Center.Â Lanterns can also be made earlier in the day at Kids Day at the Burien Fire Station.
This yearâ€™s Arts-A-Glow festival will feature seven local and regional artists who are creating temporary, site-specific lantern installations. All of the artists have designed around the theme of Gathering! which celebrates the beauty and magic of coming together. The installation artists are:
- Denise Henrikson (Seattle)
- Thaddeus Jurczynskiâ€™s (Port Townsend)
- Sarah Lovett (Seattle)
- Oleana Perry (Seattle)
- Deb Shane (Olympia)
- Dana Squires (Olympia)
- Leslie Zenz (Olympia)
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
8pm-ish: Lantern Procession at Dusk â€“ Join the fun! Come early and make a lantern, or bring one from home!
5pm-7pm: The Boyd Family Players, Soft Island Sounds, Samual Doesburg juggling, Harp by Jini Oâ€™Flynn & more!
6-7:30: Red Dog (bluegrass)
6-9:30: Illuminated Stilt walking by The Cabiri
6:30-7:30: Abyssinian Dance Drum Circle
7:30-8:45: Yellow Hat Band (brass band music from around the world)
8:45-9:45: Boys of Greenwood Glen (zydeco & bluegrass)
- Magical Face Painting, Lantern Creation Station, Treats and more!
- Lantern Open Houseâ€”Wednesday, Aug 19, 6:30-8:00pm: Everyone is invited to a FREE Open House at the new Burien Library, 4th &152nd. Come meet the artists, get a sneak preview of whatâ€™s in store, and learn how you can get involved in making beauty and light for this yearâ€™s festival.
- Lantern Makingâ€”Kids Day, Saturday, September 12th, 10am-3pm: Find the FREE lantern booth at Kids Day at the Burien Fire Station and make a lantern for the lantern festival! Go to www.BurienFire.org for more information.
- Burien Art Walkâ€”Downtown Burien, Sat, Sept 12, 10am-5pm: Wander downtown Burien and find art in the shops. Sponsored by Discover Burien. Go to www.DiscoverBurien.com for more information.
- The Big Figure Draw In! Sat, Sept 12, 4-6pm: Bring your drawing supplies and a stool and draw the largest figure model you have ever seen! At B/ IAS, 5th and 150th SW. Free and open to the public.
Arts-A-Glow is brought to you by:
- City of Burien
- Burien Arts
- B/ IAS
- Denise Henrickson & Leslie Zenz
- Elliott Bay Brewing
Event will happen, art will be created and lanterns will glow, rain or shine. For more information, click here.