Recycling Collection Event & Rain Barrel Bin Sale Coming To Burien Saturday, Sept. 19th
The Normandy Park and Burien Fall Recycling Collection Event and Rain Barrel Sale is scheduled for this Saturday, Sept. 19th from 9am – 3pm at the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center, which is located at 19010 First Avenue South.
At this event you can safely dispose of numerous unwanted materials, some for free, others for a small fee.
Here are the details:
WHAT: Normandy Park & Burien Recycling Collection Event
WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 19h from 9 am to 3 pm
WHERE: Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center
INFO: Recycle these household wastes:
- TIRES: Bias ply, steel belted, and studded tires accepted. Limit 6 passenger tires per household (18 inches and below) free of charge. $1.50 charge for each tire on a rim. $5 charged for each large truck tire and $15 charged for each truck tire on rim (cash only). No oversized tires accepted.
- MOTOR OIL, FILTERS, & ANTIFREEZE: Motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, 2-cycle oil, steering fluid, crankcase oil, kerosene, and home heating fuel. Do not mix with antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or other substances.
- LEAD ACID BATTERIES: Car, truck, marine, and motorcycle batteries accepted.
- ALKALINE BATTERIES: AAAA, AAA, AA, A, B, C, and D cell batteries only.
- CARDBOARD: Please flatten. No wax coated cardboard.
- REUSEABLE HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND CLOTHING: Clothing and miscellaneous household items in good condition will be collected by Seattle Goodwill. Mattresses and furniture will not be accepted. Items in need of repair will not be accepted.
- PORCELAIN TOILETS AND SINKS: $5 charge (cash only). Toilet seats, hardware, and base wax rings must be removed.
- REFRIGERATORS/FREEZERS/HOUSEHOLD AIR CONDITIONERS: $25 charge for each refrigerator, freezer or household air conditioner (cash only).
- APPLIANCES AND SCRAP METAL: Auto parts, engines and gas lawnmowers (drained of oil and gasoline), metal lawn chairs, stoves, microwaves, barbecues, steel, aluminum, brass, copper and other ferrous and non-ferrous metals. $5 will be charged for each water heater that still has insulation coating (cash only). Metals that are insulated, rubber or oil coated, previously or currently contain chemicals, paint, or hazardous materials will not be accepted. Light fixture ballasts and sealed drums will not be accepted.
- PROPANE TANKS: Residential tanks only. $5 charge (cash only).
- ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, cellular phones and computer peripherals such as keyboards and mice. Computer monitors and televisions will not be accepted. You can recycle these items for free at other locations.
- No scrap wood/bulky wood
- No construction/demolition debris No garbage No mattresses/furniture No plastic toys, hoses, etc.
- No window glass
These hazardous wastes:
- No oil based paint
- No pesticides/herbicides
- No household chemicals
- No cleaning products
- No fluorescent lights
Rules For Latex Paint
- Latex paint is no longer considered hazardous waste and the household hazardous waste facilities in King County (the Wastemobile, Factoria, and two Seattle sites) no longer accept it. Residents who cannot use up latex paint, please dry it out and put it in the garbage with the lid off. Visit the King County website www.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/swd for more informa- tion on how to dry out latex paint.
For event information, call 206-248-7603 or visit www.govlink.org/hazwaste/house/disposal/ or call the Household Hazards Line Monday to Friday 9 am to 4:30 pm except holidays at 206-296-4692.
Washington now has a FREE recycling program called â€œE-Cycle Washingtonâ€ for computers, computers monitors, laptops, and televisions. Call 1-800-RECYCLE or visit 1800recycle.wa.gov to find authorized E-Cycle Washington collection locations. In the Burien/Normandy Park area you may drop off computers, computers monitors, laptops, and televisions for free at the following E-Cycle Washington locations:
- Burien Goodwill Store (1031 SW 128th Street, Burien, WA 98146, 206-957-1020)
- Salvation Army Burien Store (16033 1st Ave S, Burien, WA 98148, 206-267- 7272)
- St. Vincent de Paul (13445 1st Ave S, Burien, WA 98168, 206-243-6370)
Please note – drop off locations may change. Quantities accepted are limited. Please also note that computer peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and printers are not included in this program but will be accepted at City Recycling Collection Events.
Rain Barrel & Compost Bin Sale:
To encourage the use of recycled content material and more efficient use of water, the cities of Burien and Normandy Park are offering recycled plastic rain barrels at a huge discount. In addition, start backyard composting with a compost bin to save resources and money. Composting is a natural process that turns yard waste into rich soil. Yard wasteâ€”grass, leaves, old flowersâ€”contain mostly water. Once the material decomposes, rich soil is all thatâ€™s left.
$20 each. Cash only. While supplies last. No pre or post event sales.