World’s Largest Truck Convoy Will Raise $$ For Special Olympics Saturday
This Saturday, Sept. 26th, dozens of Washington State Truckers will drive their big rigs in a huge convoy while local law enforcement will escort them from the Tacoma Dome to the Insurance Auto Auctions in Tukwila.
Here are the details:
WHAT: Washington State Truckers will drive their rigs in the convoy while local law enforcement will escort them from the Tacoma Dome to the Insurance Auto Auctions in Tukwila.
WHERE: The Convoy route will begin at Exit #132, in Parking Lot G of the Tacoma Dome, then depart at 9am towards Tukwila.
WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 26th:
- 8:00 AM – Registration and Truck Staging at Tacoma Dome’s Parking Lot G
- 9:00 AM – Departure towards Tukwila
- 11:00 AM – Arrival at Insurance Auto Auctions, located at 8801 E Marginal Way S., in Tukwila
- 12:00 PM – Lunch
- 1:00 PM – Truck Show & Shine
BBQ Lunch includes: Awards, entertainment, raffle prizes and more!
HELP: Companies can become official sponsors of the Truck Convoy; Trucking companies and truckers can register at: www.sowa.org. $100 to enter one truck (includes lunch & goody bag). Participants are encouraged to collect pledges and donations.
WHY: Special Olympics Washington athletes train in various sports throughout the year. Their participation is free, so law enforcement and truckers are helping to continue to help provide these sports opportunities to the athletes. Over 6,700 Special Olympics Washington athletes benefit locally.
INFO: On Sept. 26th join the compassionate army of truck drivers across the nation as law enforcement escorts the Worldâ€™s Largest Truck Convoy to raise awareness and funds for Special Olympics! Truckers will meet at the Tacoma Dome and are escorted by law enforcement in a convoy to the Insurance Auto Auctions in Tukwila for a celebration party. Truckers will be welcomed by Special Olympics athletes and families, community organizations and law enforcement agencies. Enjoy music, activities and awards. Lunch will be provided for each driver.
- 200 trucks participated in Washington and over $25,000 was raised locally in 2008
- Over 2,000 trucks participate nationally and $643,000 raised nationally in 2008
- 26 U.S. states and 4 Canadian provinces participate in the WLTC