“The Snake Is Back” At The 2nd Annual “Cove To Clover” Race Sunday March 14th
The second annual “Cove To Clover” fundraiser 5K race will be Sunday, March 14th, winding its way from the Normandy Park Community Club up the dreaded “snake hill” to the finish line in front of Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub.
If you’re interested in registering, please click here.
If you thought last year’s race was fun and challenging, just wait until you get a whiff of some o’the new elements for 2010. It’s as if the dial on the family-friendly funometer has been cranked up to 11 â€“ check out some of the new features:
- The race begins at 1pm on Sunday, March 14th at Normandy Park Community Club. The course winds up â€œsnake hillâ€ all the way to the Gregory Heights neighborhood, past St. Francis of Assisi, crosses 152nd street with the finish line in Burien Town Square, where there will be a traditional Irish Festival.
- This challenging course takes its toll on even the most seasoned runners! Two water stops are provided, and racers will be rewarded with music from an Irish Piper when the reach the top of the ominous â€œsnakeâ€ hill.
- Again there is a 1-mile Family Race which begins at St. Francis and follows the last of the 5K course.
- NEW: â€œWhile You Runâ€ childcare, check your kids in at the Family Race start. Run the first 2 miles of the 5K, check your kids back out to run the Family Race together. Your 5K time will suffer of course.
- NEW: Pub Crawl â€“ Friday March 12th!
- NEW: School Registration Contest! $5 from each registration fee can be donated to the local school of your choice! Justâ€”type in your schoolâ€™s name at registration–the school with the most registrations will be awarded an additional $1,500! Registrations can track their schoolâ€™s progress at www.covetoclover.com/schools.
- NEW: School Limerick Contest â€” A $500 prize will be awarded to the school (or non-profit for non- student entries) who present the winning Limerick! Limerick contest details at www.covetoclover.com/limerick. BTW, we’re working on our own Limerick that starts “There once was a man from B-Town…”
- NEW: Start Line Party â€“ Live Band inside the Normandy Park Cove Building prior to the race so you can warm up dancing to old school rock and roll.
- NEW: Expanded Pre-Race shuttle service from the finish line to the start line.
5k at 1:00pm:
- $30.00 early registration (before Mar. 2nd; $35 after)
Family Race (1 mile) at 1:30 PM:
- $25.00 early registration (before Mar. 2nd; $30 after)
Here’s a map of the race course:
<a href=”http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/wa/normandy-park/131126275593197103″ mce_href=”http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/wa/normandy-park/131126275593197103″>Official Cove to Clover 5K Route</a><br/><a href=”http://www.mapmyrun.com/find-run/united-states/wa/normandy-park” mce_href=”http://www.mapmyrun.com/find-run/united-states/wa/normandy-park”>Find more Runs in Normandy Park, Washington</a>
Some other highlights include:
- On-course Irish Pipes
- Irish Entertainment
- 2 Live Bands
- Bigger Beer Garden
- 1-mile Family Race
- Free Hot Dogs for Kids
- Free Root Beer Garden
- Irish Grub
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
- 10:15am+: Take the Free Pre-Race Shuttle – loads at Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub starting at 10:15 am (WARNING: Start Line Parking is EXTREMELY LIMITED!). Please park near Burien Town Square and take the free shuttle from Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub. Final shuttle departs promptly at 12:40 pm. Shuttle will drop you at the family race start-line (St. Francis Parish) of the 5K start-line (The Cove).
- 1pm: 5K Race (race starts at 1 pm sharp) Start Line @ Normandy Park Swim Club “The Cove”
- Registration/Packet Pickup from 10:45 am – 12:45 pm @ The Cove
- LIVE ROCK BAND starts at 10:45 am: “The Throbs” will be cranking out old school rock and roll at the start line until race time. Warm your bones rocking out to covers of Nirvana, AC/DC, Scorpions and other eye-popping ROCK!!! Come early and avoid the last minute shuttle rush.
- Race starts at 1:40pm sharp
- Start Line @ St. Francis Church
- Registration/Packet Pickup from 10:45 am – 1:20 pm @ St. Francis Church
- 1 mile-ish. This can be walked or run and will include people of all generations. Hopefully we’ll have Irish Step Dance lessons prior to the start. – Pick up bib
- NEW: “While You Race” Childcare (11:00 am – 1:35 pm) at St. Francis Church
- If you want to run the 5K but your kids aren’t ready for that level of suffering, consider checking your kids into “While You Race” Childcare at the family race start line. You can then run the first 2 miles of the 5K to the Family Race Start, grab your kids and run then run the Family Race together. Child care provided by St. Francis Parish, extra fee may be involved.
- YOU MUST CHECK OUT YOUR CHILD BEFORE FINISHING THE 5K. It is not intended that runners finish the run and then return to claim their children. Due to the tight schedule, this service is for families with children who plan to run the Family Race.
- If you do the math, you’ll need to be able to run the first 2 miles in 30 minutes to pickup your child in time for the Family Race. Shuttle from the finish line, will stop drop you at St. Francis to check in your kids. Then you can re-board the shuttle to be taken to the 5K start line (the Cove).
FINISH LINE FESTIVAL AT BURIEN TOWN SQUARE:
- Finish Line Irish Festival runs from 2pm – 5pm at Burien Town Square
- “The Haggis Bros” are a lively Irish Band. You can enjoy the show from the beer garden (or free root beer garden for the kiddies). Be entertained by traditional step dancers while you gnash some Irish grub.
Not a runner? Get involved as a race day volunteer: Please contact John Nelson at [email protected].
And there are still some great Sponsorship Opportunities available â€“ please email Ashley Fosberg at [email protected] for a sponsorship packet!
As the official web Sponsor of the Cove To Clover race, we’ll be posting more updates soon (including details on the Pub Crawl March 12th!), so be sure to come back often.