Empress Of Information Says: Thank You Voters For Approving Prop. 1!
Happy nearly-springtime to all those B-Town Bookworms out there!
DID YOU KNOW?
Voters Approve Levy Lid Lift for libraries!!
Thanks to dedicated community advocates and library supporters, voters approved Proposition 1 on the February 9 special election ballot by 52%, authorizing a one-year increase in the property tax level to fund essential library services.
With the passage of Proposition 1, voters restored the full allowable library levy rate of 50Â¢ per $1,000 assessed property value for 2011.
The additional revenue will sustain library operations, including hours of service, new and replacement materials, computers and software upgrades, and regular preventive maintenance.
Thank YOU VOTERS!!
KCLS WELCOMES RENTON LIBRARIES, PATRONS & STAFF:
Renton Libraries are now part of the King County Library System! Though many details involved in merging the library systems are being worked out, two key changes are now in place for Renton Library patrons:
- Expanded library hours in downtown Renton.
- Immediate eligibility for a Seattle Public Library Card.
PROGRAMS AT YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD LIBRARIES:
- TechConnect!!! Burien Library Saturday March 13th 10am -2pm: TechConnect is an interactive library open house showcasing the many ways KCLS technology connects you to reading, recreation, entertainment and lifelong learning. Â Whether youâ€™re tech-savvy, tech-challenged or somewhere in between, TechConnect will enhance your use of the library!Â King County Library TechLab van will be in our parking lot demonstrating the latest in downloads available.Â TechConnect stations will be set up throughout the first floor of the library demonstrating our databases, how to use the library catalog, childrenâ€™s story time online, and much much more. There will also be Spanish language station â€˜Bibliotecaâ€™ showing library technology for Spanish speakers.Â Visit every station and enter to win the prize drawings, winners announced on the hour, must be present to win.Â Sponsored by the Burien Library Guild.
- Crumac Concert: Burien Library, Sunday March 14th 5pm. This Irish trio creates traditional music on fiddle, uilleann pipes, whistles, and guitar
Ages 5 and older.
- Get Loose with Seuss! Burien Library, Friday March 19th, 10:30am. Presented by Harmonica Pocket. Sing along with the Doctorâ€™s â€˜One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fishâ€™ and other Seussian favorites! All ages welcome Sponsored by the Burien Library Guild.
- Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss! White Center Library, Friday March 19th, 3pm. Presented by Harmonica Pocket. Celebrate Dr. Seussâ€™ birthday with stories, songs and silliness. Sponsored by the White Center Library Guild.
Part historical fiction, part mysticism, part modern day suspense thriller – this tale follows the discovery and disappearance of the powerful Montglane Chess Service. The chess service imbues unlimited power to anyone playing. The task of hiding and protecting the chess pieces from abuse falls upon the novices of Montglane Abby in the year 1790.Â In 1972, modern day computer expert Catherine Velis is hired to recover the valuable chess pieces and soon finds herself entangled in a global plot.
Until next time…see you in the stacks!