REPORT: Burien Garbage Haulers May Go On Strike Next Week

According to our news partners at The Seattle Times, garbage, recycling and yard-waste haulers for more than one million homes and businesses in King and Snohomish counties, including Burien, are threatening to go on strike next week.

According to The Times:

About 500 workers for Waste Management and Allied Waste — members of Teamsters Local 174 — will vote Sunday (March 28) whether to strike if they can’t settle a contract dispute before the deal expires March 31.

The strike would affect about half the homes in Seattle — those that are served by Waste Management. The company also serves unincorporated King and Snohomish counties, and the cities of Auburn, Bothell, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, Newcastle, Maple Valley, Renton, Issaquah, Kirkland, Redmond, Carnation, Duvall, Mill Creek, Monroe, Arlington, Marysville, Granite Falls and Darrington.

Read the full story here.

10 Responses to “REPORT: Burien Garbage Haulers May Go On Strike Next Week”
  1. Coverofnight says:

The Times reports that they’re looking for a 25% pay raise! Gee, guess I shouldn’t complain as my salary dropped 75% due to this recession that was helped along with the union bailouts. Heaven forbid that they should be guaranteed a full pension while most of us are just surviving with nothing to contribute for our retirement. Boy, having my garbage pile up will sure put me on the side of the union with their hands out for more money. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again….time to get rid of all unions! Oh, and don’t bother blaming Bush; that’s a loser’s argument.

• citizen says:

If you don’t like unions move to china….kids working 60 hours a week…very little pay..breath the smog while your living there…you can thank the unions for the 40 hr. work week…overtime pay…without the unions you would be working in the same conditions here….or go work at Wal mart for a week and then try to dish the union worker……Go Trash Haulers…..UNIONS ARE GREAT…..P.S. go back under the cover of night

• Facts please says:

“…due to this recession that was helped along with the union bailouts” ???

Did I miss something, or did not most of the federal bailouts go to (non-unionized) financial firms? I realize two unionized auto makers got bailed out, but the lion’s (or tiger’s) share seems to have gone to folks who were irresponsible with other people’s money, operating in a system setup by and for corporations that have ferociously fought against unions and protections for real people.

As for the possible strike, best of luck to the workers in getting a fair contract and better relations with management. Perhaps they should ask for a seat on the company board instead of $$. In the long run, that might yeild the greatest benefit to both the workers and us, their customers. Tough times are opportunities for new directions.

2. warrenb says:

Cover of nights user name, and the fact that he has nothing better to do with his time than post on this site all day should tell us something. I bet his unemployment has nothing to do with unions, and everything to do with him.

3. Wade Own says:

I worked as a union laborer for 5 years, downtown. Seems they didnt care if i worked over 40 hours. Yes- i got overtime pay. I also got pressure from the boss’s that if i did not or could not pull the hours required, they would just as soon let me go, and find someone who would. While the pay was good, there was not a lot of protection given by my union hall when i told them that this was going on. The response was a mere shrug of the shoulders.
    Unions historically did provide us with what is now common in our work experience. This is undeniable. It does not mean that unions now serve the same great purpose.
    Unfortunately, we non-union people don’t have a problem with the union worker until they strike, and mess up our daily lives. The companies that bend over to the union have some culpability in this. They could let every union employee go, but don’t want to endure the re training of replacements, or deal with bad publicity. But they won’t(mostly). In times like this, it seems like looking a gift horse in the mouth is what is going on.
    My wife read that a man listed a job last month on craigslist, for kennel helper. This job was basically poop cleaning, among other very basic work( for minimum wage). He had over 250 applicants for the job. Some of the applicants had college degrees.
    It just looks bad to see people already doing well for themselves threaten to stop working when times are tough. Where is the desire to seek out a fair and equitable deal for both the unions and their employers? I know; the article only talked of a one sided threat and that there was no reporting on the whole process. That being said, it just looks bad for the union.
    I can only hope that my garbage service i will not be interrupted. I may just have to go to the dump. Oh, the horror!!!

4. commenter says:

Good luck going to the dump if the garbage haulers strike. King County transfer station employees are represented by the same union, and will not cross picket lines if the striking workers implement roving pickets at the transfer stations. Strikes are really a symptm of a breakdown in communication and creative thinking on the part of both labor and management. You would think the union and business leaders could show more “leadership” and collaborate during these difficult economic times.

5. Coverofnight says:

Great comments, Wade and commenter; you’re right – it’s a different world from the early part of the 1900’s when unions were a good thing. The business world has changed, but not the union stance – it’s all me, me, me! For citizen and warrenb, I’m still happy and working, but I have to stay under the cover of night because it’s people like you that don’t allow me to exercise my freedom of speech out in the open. You are the same type of individuals that will key my car or slash my tires because I have a Republican sticker on my vehicle. Imagine what you neanderthals would do if I exercised my freedom of speech and had an anti-union sticker on my car! Pop open another beer, light up your cigarette and have a nice day, guys.

6. Robin says:

Let’s really show these unions by taking responsibility for our own waste!

Through home composting, recycling, and analyzing how much ‘stuff’ we really want before we bring it home, my household of five has reduced our actual garbage down to the smallest can which is rarely full on garbage day.

The recycling is full, and I’m sure it wouldn’t be picked up in a strike but it doesn’t stink nearly as bad as garbage and it’s free to get rid of at the dump.

With a few small changes we can cut our garbage in half!

I’m sure there will be a lot of eye-rolling here, but the fact is that we create our own garbage and, to a certain degree, can control how terrible it really is.

7. Scarpia says:

So, coverofnight, you seem so quick to jump all over the unions, but do you even know what this labor dispute is all about? For example, did you know that one of the reasons that the “neanderthals” are willing to walk off the job, is over safety issues? Did you know that these professional drivers care enough about YOUR sorry behind, that they are willing to walk off the job untill management installs safety items like scales on the trucks so they know when the trucks are overloaded, so they dont go skidding into your car and injuring or killing.

I have read too many of your posts where you are quick to jump all over the backs of the working men and women of this community, simply because they are standing up for their rights, (one of the rights you republicans don’t like to talk about, the right to ORGANIZE). Why is it so difficult for you to fathom, that not every boss is willing to play by the rules? Are you so far detatched from reailty, that you think that workers will get paid their worth, just because the boss is a nice guy. The fact of the matter is that when a corporation (like Waste Management) is willing to put the safety and lives of the general public at risk by KNOWINGLY having overloaded trucks on the road, I am thankful that there are professionals who are willing to walk off the job to protect me.

PS: Garbage collectors have the 5th deadliest job in the US (more so than police or Firefighters)

8. Coverofnight says:

If safety is such a concern to all you knowledgeable insiders, why are you so bent on me getting a clue? Sounds like you guys need to “get Jesse”!