Tardy With Taxes? Here's Where You Can Mail Your Return Tonight
Today (April 15) is Tax Day, and tardy filers throughout the area are scrambling to get their returns done and postmarked in time.
If you’re one of the tardy filers, we recommend getting yours mailed in at your local post office by closing time (usually 5pm) to get it postmarked for today.
However, if you’re really tardy and are on the verge of desperation, the nearest post office to do a drive-through drop-off is the Riverton Station located in SeaTac at 15250 32nd Ave. South (see map below).
The Riverton Heights office is open until midnight, but because each return must be postmarked, if you show up at 11:55pm yours may not make it.
“It’s going to be a zoo here tonight,” said an unidentified postal employee over the phone this morning. “And I recommend folks try to come by by 7pm at the latest. If you show up at 11:55pm, you may not make it in time.”
You read that right folks â€“ if you’re going to send your return in today, try to get to the Riverton Heights post office by 7pm.
The only other post offices collecting mail until midnight today are in Tacoma, Everett and Wenatchee.
According to the IRS website, if you don’t think you’ll be done in time, you can always file for an extension, using Form 4868 (link is to a PDF file). The extension gives you an additional six months, until Oct. 15, to file the tax return.
Here are some other tips:
- Make sure your tax return has sufficient postage. First-Class postage is 44 cents for the first ounce and 17 cents for each additional ounce.
- If you are mailing a number of additional forms and schedules with your return, the envelope is likely to weigh more than one ounce.
- The IRS will not pay postage due, so make sure you’ve bought enough postage. Mail with insufficient postage is returned to sender. If you are in doubt about how much postage to apply, use a lobby scale, the scale on an APC (Automated Postal Center) or ask a postal clerk for assistance.
- If possible, mail your return using the pre-addressed envelope provided by the IRS. If you must prepare another envelope, make sure the address is legible and include your return address.
- When mailing your return at a post office not on the list for late pickup, check the times posted on the blue collection box to determine the last scheduled pickup time.
- Remember, postage can be purchased at any Automated Postal Center (APC). Check usps.com for a location near you.
The Riverton Heights Post Office is located at 15250 32nd Avenue South; Seatac, WA 98188-9996; Phone: (206) 241-7061:
View Larger Map