PHOTOS: Memorial For Son Of Mick Kelly's Manager; Benefit Is May 6th

Story & Photos by Scott Schaefer

When a spouse dies, the surviving partner is called a “widow” or “widower.”

But what can one possibly call a parent whose young child dies a terrible, tragic death?

The grief one must feel when ones’ own child dies tragically is so incredibly severe there really can be no name for it, so we’ll just leave it as that – unnameable.

Such is the case with Dermot Owens, longtime Manager and bartender at Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub. His grief is most certainly unnameable now, as he lost his five-year old son Shea in a tragic accident when he was run over by Dermot’s SUV at their home in Newcastle last Friday (April 16).

“What a great Father he was,” said Mick Purdy, co-owner of Mick Kelly’s, and Dermot’s boss. “We all saw Shea grow up right here, running around the place. To have this tragedy happen is just unbelievable. We’re all in a state of shock…”

UPDATE: There will be a benefit concert for Dermot at Mick Kelly’s on Thursday, May 6th starting at 6:00pm, with live music and a raffle to raise money so Dermot can take time to be with his friends and family.

The Burien branch of Key Bank (655 Southwest 152nd Street • 206-241-9348) has set up an account called “The Little Shea Memorial Fund” where people can donate to help fund Shea’s funeral, which will be held this Thursday (April 22) at 11am at St. Mary’s Church (611 20th Avenue South, Seattle), with a wake afterwards at the Glen Acres Golf Course (call Mick Kelly’s for more details: 206-246-2473).

Also, here are other ways to help Dermot and his family out:

• Donate using PayPal: Click here to donate directly to the memorial fund online.

You can also make a cash or check donation in person at:

• Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub & Restaurant in Burien
  • Mick Kelly’s at Full Throttle Bar & Grill in Renton
  • A Terrible Beauty Irish Pub in Renton
  • The Celtic Swell Pub & Restaurant on Alki in West Seattle

Donations will be used to pay for Shea’s service as well as for the Father’s time off from work. You can donate at any Key Bank location.

Here’s a Photo Slideshow of the memorial by Scott Schaefer (be sure your speakers are turned on):

Click to Play
Click to Play Scott Schaefer’s SoundSlideshow

19 Responses to “PHOTOS: Memorial For Son Of Mick Kelly's Manager; Benefit Is May 6th”
  1. Ani says:

This is absolutely tragic!

• Brian says:

I was Shea’s soccer coach for the ymca and when I found out why he was not at the last game. I cant belive it I wish i could of found out sooner. So sad

2. Julie Dosono says:

How sad I walk my dog by Mick Kelly’s everynight and was wondering what was going on that day of the memorial.My condolences.

3. Rob says:

Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go to the parents.

4. MjCl Sartore says:

No words can express what you must be feeling. Our thoughts and prayers are with you to help you make it through this difficult time and to find strength for the future.

5. Amanda says:

I knew Shea for far too short a time. In that time I grew to love him and care for him very much. He was a beautiful boy inside and out. He will be hugely missed by many. My heart goes out to his family. This is beyond words of comfort. I am so very sorry for your loss and suffering. Good Journey Shea.

6. Lee Moyer says:

I can’t imagine a worse tragedy for a parent. My heart goes out to them. My wife and I go to Mick Kelley’s often. It is our favorite place in Burien and the staff is great. We wish them all well.

• Samantha says:

Can you please not use this horrific accident to push your anti-suv agenda? Completely uncalled for. Perhaps you want us all to buy a Prius?

• c'mon says:

Lee, you are amazing.

The next time you have a thought, stop and think. Think about if this is the proper topic to post your opinion on a car. Think about the people that are actually affected by this accident. Think……. Do everyone a favor and think…..

• seriously? says:

This is so inappropriate as a reply to such a horrific event. No one cares about your thoughts on SUV design flaws when the whole community is grieving. My thoughts and prayers are with Dermot and little Shea will be greatly missed, but remembered forever.

• EDITOR’S NOTE: After much consideration, I have decided to edit the rest of Lee Moyer’s Comment on the dangers of SUVs. Thanks, Scott Schaefer

• Lee Moyer says:

I apologize, but it wasn’t just about SUVs. The Prius is another example of what I was talking about.

7. There is a benefit concert for Dermot at mick kellys on Thursday may 6 starting at 6.00pm. There will be some great music . with raffle to raise money so Dermot can take time to be with his friends and family please come and support this great cause.

8. Eric says:

Our hearts go out to all who knew and loved Shea. It is, as the story says, simply to tragic for words.

9. Liz says:

Dermot, I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

10. Brendan says:

Nothing can be said or done to compensate such a tragic loss. May the cherished memories of the departed guide you through these troubling times. Know there are ones in your life who will need to lean on you just as you need to lean on them. Here is an old Gaelic saying my father would say in times of trouble.

Giorraionn beirt bothar
    “Two shorten the road”

Know you and your loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers.

11. Marty says:

Dermott I am sorry to hear what happened, I cant’t begin to imagine what you must be going thru.
    our thoughts and prayers are with you here in Texas

12. Melissa says:

I live in the neighborhood where you live. I heard the choppers and the police activity and knew that something horrible happened. I was thinking it was a house fire, being concerned that it this activity was going on right behind my house I drove to see what was going on. I was with my children when I saw the anguish on the fathers face. Still not knowing what happened, I went home and turned on the news at 5pm, the story just broke that this beautiful little boy had been killed. I too have a 5 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. My heart is broken for you and your family. I’ve been crying for days, I can’t even imagine what you’re going through. If I can be of any help to you and your wife, I’m here. My prayers and thoughts are with you during this time of sadness and loss.

13. Sean says:

I know members of Dermot’s family back in Belfast, Ireland. I’m devastated for them all. My heart goes out to Dermot, his wife and poor little Shea.