Special Events Will Spice Up Burien Farmers Market Every Thursday

Burien’s Farmers Market starts Thursday, May 6th (you can see our countdown clock in the right sidebar), with the usual market fare as well as plenty of new features, including special events like a dog fashion show and the Seattle Humane Society’s MaxMobile, sure to spice things up.

Produced by the Discover Burien Association, the farmers market will unfurl its tents and tables every Thursday through October in the Burien Town Square with farm-fresh fruits and vegetables, locally made food items and unique handcrafted goods.

On opening day (Thursday, May 6), enter the family pooch dressed to thrill in a dog fashion show at 3pm. The fashion show is the senior project of a local high school student. On May 13, consider adopting a pet from the Seattle Humane Society’s MaxMobile from Noon to 3pm.

For customers concerned with freshness or sustainability, the market’s just-picked produce is grown by Washington State farmers, mostly local, plus a few from Eastern Washington. Quality is particularly high since there are no middlemen or delays. Great prices are another benefit of shopping the market, even for organically grown produce, according to Debra George, Discover Burien’s events manager.

This year, a meat vendor will join the many returnees offering such food finds as local raw honey, handmade gluten-free pasta and fresh-baked goods.

Customers can enjoy an affordable al fresco lunch from the market’s hotdog cart, or relax at one of the market’s patio tables while catching live tunes by Eric “Two Scoops” Moore from noon to 3pm. Or stop and chat with us at The B-Town Blog, the market’s official blogger, which will blog live from the market.

Discover Burien is a nonprofit organization that works on the economic development and promotion of Burien.

Sponsored by BTB Advertiser Prudential Northwest Realty, LLC, the market operates every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Oct. 14. The market will be situated on 5th Place SW off SW 152nd Street in Burien Town Square.

For more information, call 206-433-2882 or go online to www.discoverburien.com.

9 Responses to “Special Events Will Spice Up Burien Farmers Market Every Thursday”
  1. Erik says:

I sure wish this was on Saturday or Sunday. I don’t get off of work until 5/PM and by the time I get there the vendors are packing up. I have talked to quite a few other people in my neighborhood that feel the same way. Why Thursday?

2. Julie says:

All this delightful advertising is just a cruel taunt to the working world – I second Erik’s post and sure hope they will consider a weekend market one of these years.

3. Laurel says:

I hope they fix that giant typo on the poster! (Accidental comma in Thursdays). I’m so excited for the market!

• Lee Moyer says:

The comma either came unglued from the word “Farmers” above it or Mr. Thursday bought the town square at a foreclosure auction.

4. Erik says:

I bet the turnout would double if not tripple if it was on a weekend.

5. kathy says:

I wish the market lasted longer till 7pm or was on a weekend and had more variety of vendors. I just get back to Burien and its closing. Not worth it to take a day off as the varitey of vendors is just not there. Mostly flowers.

6. normad says:

I agree that it would be nice if it was open till 7:00 or scheduled on Saturday. Working till 5:00 or 5:30 really limits me personally getting there before they close up.

7. Mary says:

I rarely make it to the Burien Market either. The reason it’s on Thursday is because most of the vendors sell at other Farmers’ markets around the area during the week. They can’t afford to come to just one. Also, when you get up at 4:00 a.m. to pick fresh flowers & veggies to get them to the Town Square by opening time, staying until 7:00 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. is too much for the farmer or the crop (unless you want to provide a refrigerator section like they have at the grocery store). My favorite Markets to attend are at the U District (Saturday) and West Seattle (Sunday). They also have a better selection of food (instead of trinkets and window salesmen).

• Rob says:

Actually the reason it’s on Thursdays, from what I’ve heard; is simply because there are tons of farmer’s markets on Saturdays and Sundays, so the good folks at Discover Burien picked Thursday as a day that has no market in other areas. Vendors like it as they get an extra day.