B-TOWN BIZ: Burien’s First-Ever Hookah Bar Is Now Open For Business

Burien’s first-ever “Hookah Bar” has opened – Pyramids Club, at 153 SW 153rd, just west of the E.B. Foote Winery – a membership-only “club” where members can smoke from communal “Hookah” water pipes.

The fact that it’s a private club is why smoking is allowed there, despite the state’s ban on smoking in restaurants and bars. But it’s only Hookah smoking, according to owner Shadi’ – no drugs or alcohol are allowed, members must be at least 18, and strict rules are posted.

Members pay $5 for an annual membership, then order from a menu and share a large, communal water pipe filled with flavored tobacco in a very social, group setting. Current flavors include: Double Apple, Strawberry, Grape, Cherry, Pipe, Guava, Plum, Peach, Coconut, Mint, Lemon, Berry, Banana, Grenadine and Cardamom.

Some snacks, non-alcoholic drinks and games are available, and they also offer free Wi-Fi.

Hookahs are very popular in the Middle East, as well as India, Pakistan, Southeast Asia, South Africa, and more recently in the U.S. and Canada. There are around five other Hookah Clubs in the Seattle area, with Pyramids Club being the first one in the Burien area.

Now if you’ve never heard of Hookah, here’s a brief primer, courtesy Wikipedia:

The Hookah was invented in India in the court of the Mughal emperor Akbar (1542 – 1605 AD). Following popularity among noblemen, this new device for smoking soon became a status symbol for the Indian aristocracy and gentry.

The jar at the bottom of the hookah is filled with water sufficient to submerge a few centimeters of the body tube, which is sealed tightly to it. Flavored tobacco is placed inside the bowl at the top of the hookah and a burning charcoal is placed on top of the tobacco. Some cultures cover the bowl with perforated tin foil or a metal screen to separate the coal and the tobacco, which minimizes inhalation of coal ash with the smoke. This may also reduce the temperature the tobacco is exposed to, in order to prevent burning the tobacco directly.

When one inhales via the hose, air is pulled through the charcoal and into the bowl holding the tobacco. The hot air, heated by the charcoal evaporates (not burns) the tobacco, thus producing smoke, which is passed down through the body tube that extends into the water in the jar. It bubbles up through the water, losing heat, and fills the top part of the jar, to which the hose is attached. When a smoker inhales from the hose, smoke passes into the lungs, and the change in pressure in the jar pulls more air through the charcoal, continuing the process.

There are no drugs involved, and the flavored tobacco mixes have lower amounts of nicotine than regular cigarettes.

The Washington State smoking ban mandates that any smoking establishment be a private club, ergo a membership is required at Pyramids Club.

A yearlong membership to Pyramids is $5, and the minimum age is 18 years old.

Pyramids Club is open Sunday – Thursday from 6:30pm – 12am, and Friday – Saturday from 3pm – 2am.  Their address is 153 SW 153rd, located just west of E.B. Foote Winery. Phone: 206-588-1019; Email: [email protected] and their website is www.pyramidsclub.net.

Here are some pics taken by Scott Schaefer:

21 Responses to “B-TOWN BIZ: Burien’s First-Ever Hookah Bar Is Now Open For Business”
  1. John says:

I’ve seen these throughout the Middle East when I was there years ago. Never used them. Don’t think I’ll start now but good luck to the new business owner.

2. Coverofnight says:

It’s still smoking, which I think is disgusting. Think of the millions in health care costs that would be saved if this unhealthy habit was discontinued. Yes, I know there are also plenty of other unhealthy habits that should be discontinued, too. This one, though, is more disturbing to me when I see the young kids picking up the habit to look “cool”. And when I have to breathe others’ smoke when I want fresh air only makes me lose any compassion for those that are ill with smoking related issues.

• Samantha says:

Well, it is a private club, so if you don’t agree with it, you don’t have to go in there. I wish them the best of luck… very interesting business idea. I myself can’t stand smoking, but as long as I don’t have to be exposed to it, I’m fine with it . We live in America after all…

• Rory says:

I love this new place. Great Setup inside, Friendly People/Community. Also the shisa, coals, and hookahs are great, almost top of the line, but the shisha is delicious too. Great place to relax and spend time with nice people, its a great experience if your in town and if you smoke. Good Luck B-Town With The New Hooak Bar.

• Rainycity says:

Nobody says you have to stop in there or walk by.

3. moe hiari says:

i went there and it was fantastic , good luck in your new business

4. Kay says:

Good luck to this new business! I am a non-smoker but I think it is a great idea to have a place where smokers’ can enjoy their tobacco.

5. Chris says:

Good luck to the new business, but I think two things will eventually happen:

1. Business folds in under a year (due to lack of a market), or

2. The place gets busted for pot usage and/or distribution (my bet is on this).

Smoking is disgusting, but if smokers want to kill themselves in private–who am I to protest. Happy slow death!!!

• Keith says:

Wow Chris, way to stereotype!

It’s close mindedness like this that sets our country back. Open your eyes a little and look into the cultural surroundings of this activity.

• MadMol says:

Way to be negative!!
      How nice you can predict the future. Can I get my lotto numbers?

• Rory says:

You people are so dumb, there has nothing to do with pot while smoking a hokkah, so all you people who think you know soooo much about hookahs and smoking, just stop. Because first of all, Everyone who thinks bad about hookahs, Hookah bars, and Dying? You guys dont even smoke so calm down and just dont comment dumb stuff on this, second of all. It sounds like you guys got all your facts from “Friends” or Wikipedia, Where anyone can say what they think about the subject, true or false. So to the people who just love to “Spread Rumors” and more… Just STFU and mind your own damn bussiness. Thank You.

6. warrenb says:

Who wants to meet there and try it out? I smoke cigars, and always wanted to try a hookah. Whos with me?

7. Halfican says:

Can’t wait to check it out!!!!!!

8. Jeff says:

So whatever happend to the non smoking laws in doors to protect the wokers? All thoses people standing 15 or 20 feet outside a doorway and now this entreprenur gets around the law some how. Look it you have to be 18 or older just to get in the door its a tabacco product. What happened to equality?

• Dan says:

Thats why its a private club where you have to purchase a membership to be allowqed to smoke there. And seeing as a person who does not smoke wouldn’t show up just to eat or hang out, there isn’t anyone there that would be unwillingly exposed to smoke. And your question about what happened to equality doesn’t seem to make much sense… You have to be 18 because it’s an establishment for smoking tobacco, same as you have to be 21 to get into a bar.

9. Geoffrey says:

I will supporting this Hookah club 100%. I know plenty of people who are very excited for this. Additionally this club is the most upscale hookah bar I have seen ANYWHERE in the Seattle area including the U-district and the Downtown area.

10. Nate says:

great idea, i actually had the same idea of opening one in burien up so im kinda sad somebody beat me to it:(

but people this isnt the first hookah bar theyre all over in seattle this guy didnt scheme his way into this.

also hookah smoke is completely different than your standard dry leaf cigar or cigarettes it smells like whatever flavor it is and its not harsh to the smoker or the smeller. heck you probably wouldnt even know it was tobacco so please stop whining about smokers because they have nothing to do with this place opening up. you arent even alowed to smoke a cigarette inside of it

11. Abshir9 says:

Yo this place is the shiiiiittttt, i frickinn luv the hooka & the owner is a realllllly good friend of mine now…so stop judging a book by its cover & come check it out..very nice place & again greatttt plus noooooooo pottt!:)..i luv Shaddy thats my boi good luck my man!