Highline Schools Food Drive Brings In Over 6,300 Pounds For Area Hungry
Recently, children of Highline Public Schools participated in a district-wide food drive for the first time, bringing in 6,365 pounds of food and over $2,400 in cash, with all proceeds going to three area food banks: Highline, Des Moines and White Center.
“It’s a great start,” said White Center Food Bank’s Resource Coordinator Audrey Zemke. “Now that we have the basics in place, I’m excited to see what we can do next year!”
And, according to the Highline School District, they definitely will do it again next year.
Here is a breakdown of the results, by area:
The Highline Area Food Bank received a total of 2,684 pounds of food and $365.00.
- 943 pounds of food from Gregory Heights Elementary
- 461 pounds of food from CHOICE
- 239 pounds of food from Highline High School
- 511 pounds of food and $160.00 from Transportation
- 530 pounds of food from Facilities
- $205.00 from ERAC
The Des Moines Area Food Bank received a total of 1,384 pounds of food and $2,003.93.
- 1,384 pounds of food from Parkside Elementary.
- $1,805.00 from Des Moines Elementaryâ€™s penny drive
- $140.00 from ERAC
The White Center Food Bank received a total of 2,297 pounds of food and $39.00.
- 561 pounds of food from Cedarhurst Elementary
- 320 pounds of food from the Honor Society at Evergreen High School
- 1,237 pounds of food & $15.00 from Hazel Valley Elementary
- 100 pounds of food & $24.00 from ERAC
- 79 pounds of food from Shorewood Elementary