Wild Strawberry Fest: B-Town Bike Fair Pedals Into Town Saturday, June 19th
A new feature in this year’s revamped Wild Strawberry Festival will be The B-Town Bike Fair, which will happen on Saturday, June 19th on festival grounds in Burien’s Town Square.
This is an event open to all kids, families and attendees who want to celebrate and learn more about biking in Burien, and it’ll include the following activities:
- A Bicycle Rodeo for children (bicycle safety course, bicycle safety inspections and helmet fittings)
- A Bicycle Scavenger Hunt
- Bicycle helmet sale
- Adaptive cycles
- Preschool tricycle course
- Station for recycling and donation of bicycles
- 2-D and 3-D art opportunities celebrating bikes
- Information on health benefits
- Raising awareness of Burienâ€™s Bike & Pedestrian Plan and perhaps a cycling scavenger hunt!
Organizers are encouraging folks to actually ride their bikes to the Wild Strawberry Festival, in the true spirit of this great mode of transportation.
Here’s more info from the website:
WHAT is the B-Town Bike Fair?
The B-Town Bike Fair promotes cycling in the Burien Community by inspiring and empowering people to (re)discover the positive qualities of pedal-powered movement for everyday trips around town. Activities planned to date include a Bicycle Rodeo for children (bicycle safety course, bicycle safety inspections and helmet fittings), bicycle helmet sale, adaptive cycles, preschool tricycle course, station for recycling and donation of bicycles, 2-D and 3-D art opportunities celebrating bikes, information on health benefits, raising awareness of Burienâ€™s Bike & Pedestrian Plan and perhaps a cycling scavenger hunt!
WHO is it for?
This event is open to ALL kids, families and individuals in the community who want to celebrate and learn more about the opportunities and benefits of biking in Burien.
We hope to transform community membersâ€™ perception of how easy it is to get around town by bicycle and help them gain appreciation for the many personal health and community benefits of cycling through fun, safe and inclusive activities supported by a variety of local groups.
Saturday – June 19, 2010 in connection with the Wild Strawberry & Arts Festival
Burien Town Center â€“ SW 152nd Street
10am-1pm – Adaptive Cycles by Outdoors For All
10am-2pm – Bicycle Rodeo for Kids & Preschool Tricycle Course
- Includes Bicycle Safety Inspections, Helmet Fitting & Free Helmets (while supplies last), Bicycle Safety Obstacle Course and Preschool Tricycle Course
- Parent/guardian must accompany child and sign liability waiver to participate
1pm-3pm – Bicycle Scavenger Hunt
- Follow clues to local sights and businesses â€“ recommended for ages 12 and up.Â Parents with kids in bike trailers are also encouraged to participate.Â Participants enter a drawing to win prizes.
- Parent/guardian must sign liability waiver for minors to participate
10am-3pm – Bicycle Rejuvenation Station
- Bicycle Safety Inspections & Helmet Fitting for Teens/Adults, Accepting Useable Bikes for Donation
- 2-D and 3-D art celebrating bicycles
- Personal shopping assistance for selecting a bike for you
- Model of Metro bus bike rack
- Info on bikes and health & environment
Brooks Stanfield, Sustainable Burien â€“ 206-244-0012, [email protected]
Anne York, Previous Burien Bicycle Rodeo Organizer â€“ 206-523-5220, [email protected]
Jimmy Schulz, Sustainable Burien â€“ 206-920-7448, [email protected]
More info available at this website: www.btownbikefair.org; you can also “Like” them on Facebook here.
Also be sure to check out the Wild Strawberry Festival’s website here for other great events at this year’s fest.