Burien Resident Organizes “Boycott BP” Rally For June 12th

Allison Bond, a Burien resident, is organizing a protest against British Petroleum (BP) from Noon – 2pm on Saturday, June 12th at Westlake Center, as part of a national “Worldwide Protest BP Day.”

Unless you’ve been living on a remote oil rig, you undoubtedly know that BP is currently up to its neck in a major, ongoing oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico (to see a live video feed of this disaster unfolding, click here).

“I wanted to start this protest because I am tired of being an uninformed citizen sitting on the sidelines while corporate greed and negligent, irresponsible behavior goes unchecked and causes catastrophic events that destroy our natural environment,” Allison said. “An informed populace is inherently necessary for a true democracy to function, and that is exactly what I am striving for.”

Allison also adds:

Allison Bond

I also wanted to start this protest to raise awareness about the inner workings of our government that has directly contributed to this disaster – our “representatives” are backed by contributions from oil companies which has lead to lax safety regulations and environmental exemptions that directly led to the gulf spill. Further on that point, I want to be certain that BP pays for this clean up. Exxon-Valdez was fined millions but tied themselves up in the court system for years, and ended up settling for a fraction of what they should have paid. We cannot allow this to happen with BP. I don’t understand how BP has the authority to block the media reporters and scientists from coming into the region – how is this allowed to happen? The public needs to be asking a lot more critical questions and demand answers – our government needs to feel the pressure of its citizens to not just push, but shove this issue in the direction it needs to go.

I’m currently working on writing letters to my representatives, senators, and congresspersons; joining activist groups in the Seattle area to make a further impact locally, as well as continuing to educate myself about these issues. I would love to go to the areas impacted by the spill – I think a “Natural Disaster Task Force” is crucial to have on hand in events like this, as well as the Hurricane Katrina aftermath. I would love to be part of a movement to help create a task force like this, in which people can sign up to be on-call if a disaster strikes and people need immediate help.

There is so much work to be done that it feels incredibly overwhelming, but seeing the waves of protests that are popping up not only nationwide but worldwide, is inspiring and gives me hope. I truly believe that public outcry has been a sleeping giant for so long that people just don’t know what to do and feel powerless. Each and every individual has the power to create change. I’m just one person who has never really been involved, yet here I am organizing a protest. To me, that’s powerful. Everyone can do this if we believe in it and join forces with other like-minded people to commit to change.

Photo courtesy Mooi on Flickr.

Here’s info from the Worldwide Protest BP Day Facebook page:

Since April 20 2010, thousands upon thousands of barrels of crude oil have been gushing into the Gulf of Mexico. Countless birds and marine life have been devastated beyond repair, as well as the livelihoods of fishermen that rely on the health of the Gulf to make a living. I am sick and tired of sitting back and not doing anything while these huge oil corporations run our country and destroy our fragile ecosystem. JOIN ME in staging a protest – bring your own signs, dress up, make a statement!!

The message I want to get across with this protest is that while yes, it is a boycott of BP, it is much more so a protest against big oil paying their way into our government and getting off scott free when BOTH are blatantly negligent and irresponsible in their standards of safety and environmental compliance. We’re protesting the government allowing subsidies to big oil to perpetuate our horrendous addiction to fossil fuels. We’re also rallying to push for renewable, clean energy to greatly lessen our dependence on oil and start chipping away at the powerful structure that keeps us in this cycle of repeating history. I’m done sitting down, staying complacent, and feeling powerless!

10 Responses to “Burien Resident Organizes “Boycott BP” Rally For June 12th”
  1. Alfred E Neuman says:

Sure seems like alot of wasted energy geared towards this….. Sure it might make people feel good for awhile, but what is it really going to do except hurt the local business owners who’s only real crime is having a gas station franchise with a very unpopular brand at this moment in time….

• Tat says:

You are blinded by money just like the rest of those douches at BP and the oil industry at large. Wake up and spare us your asinine comments.

• CRAZIEHORSE says:

From Tat: “You are blinded by money just like the rest of those douches at BP and the oil industry at large. Wake up and spare us your asinine comments”

Well…… Guess you showed me who is the king of the comment boards, way to go. Maybe next time you will be able to articulate better about how you really feel…… But then again, I doubt it 🙂

• Lee Moyer says:

True, as far as you go, but the local business owner is paying for the brand. It is worth less and he should demand compensation from the company. That is what a boycott accomplishes. Or, more likely, the station is part of a vertically integrated system and should be broken up so the retailers would be truly independent and could choose their suplier. For the public to act as if it doesn’t care is worse.
      Since the Exxon Valdez spill, I have patronized an Exxon station only once, in an emergency. I’m sure I didn’t affect their bottom line or their top executives, but I am not alone.
      If this is wrong, someone please correct me, but doesn’t BP use the name ARCO in this region? It sure seems like that is relevant to this discussion.

2. Path says:

Never disagree with Alfred!!!

3. Sarah says:

Boycotting a company that is doing wrong is all well and good but BP’s hand is in much more than gasoline to fuel our cars. They provide chemicals that aid in the manufacturing of lipstick, carpeting, plastic bottles, washing powder, food packaging, photographic and x-ray film, pharmaceuticals, fiberglass auto bodies, surfboards, snowmobiles, outboard motors, and industrial cooling fans.

So if we all never buy BP gasoline again will it really make a dent in the profit? It is great to let a company know you are angry with what they have done, however, is having a protest the best solution?

I think volunteering if you have the time and resources or donating money to the relief effort is maybe a better option.

4. Coverofnight says:

Path is right……never disagree with Alfred. And Sarah is right, too. Tat is just another one of those emotion-driven haters that want to suppress rational, reasonable people who sincerely endeavor to do right by our community. If we disagree with Tat, we must be racist and an enemy of the state. Tat is one of the reasons I have to stay under the cover of night….the Truth will not be bullied into silence, despite Tat’s efforts.

To Allison, I say better late than never. It’s unfortunate that it took an event like this oil spill to encourage her (him? – sorry, can’t tell) toward activism/assistance. Good luck to you. For many others though, we can be more effective at the ballot box. Demand from your elected representatives that, if we have to venture into environmental areas with business concerns, there be safety measures and strong oversight in place to prevent similar catastrophes – be they oil, nuclear, toxic waste, etc. Ordinary people dropped the ball on this disaster. But we all know that oversight and compliance with existing safety regulations would have prevented the heartache now experienced by eleven families and millions of residents in the Gulf region, and the unnecessary destruction of that environment and its wildlife.

5. Allison says:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I’m Allison, the organizer for this event (and yes, Coverofnight, I’m female…haha!). I’m in complete agreement on that boycotting their gas won’t make a lasting impact. BP produces far more than just gas – they have a hand in manufacturing concrete, auto and airplane parts, amongst other things. Gas is one facet of the huge variety of products they sell. My main point is that citizens must get more involved and pay close attention to what is happening in our country and mobilize and speak out with our anger and dissent over these close bonds between corporations and our government. Being an activist is about promoting solidarity and networking with other like-minded people to create lasting change – and that goes beyond not buying BP gas, beyond a 2-hour protest in the city, it’s about writing letters and staying involved and knowing what it happening. Hope some of you will join us on Saturday!

6. Rainycity says:

I think a lot of what happened at the Gulf wasn`t compliance with safety regs, it was complacency.
    What pisses me off more is the fact they tried ducking and or pawning off their responsibility to the taxpayers (which we all know ultimately will happen anyways).
    Accidents happen whether they are preventable or not. They just do and in all honesty, I think personally a protest on this is a waste of time and effort of which would probably be better put to use offering your services if at all possible to help in the matter rather than just stage a protest and get folks riled up in a mob mentality to bitch about it and end up blaming the small business owner with something they have absolutely NO control over.
    I best get off my soapbox here before I really get going on this and get off on some other tangent like ranting against those ignorant folks protesting Israels stopping of the those ships or that gal that decided to go to a different country feeling like supergirl and standing in front of a bulldozer. And believe me, I`m really sorry for what happened to her but………

7. Rainycity says:

I was wondering how the protest went. Anybody know? Was there a good turn-out?