BLT Seeks Actors To Smoke Up The Joint For “Reefer Madness: The Musical”
Burien Little Theatre will be holding auditions for â€œReefer Madness: The Musical,â€ this Friday, June 18th, from 7pm to 10pm and Saturday, June 19th from 7:30pm to 10pm. Callbacks will be Sunday, June 20th from 5pm to 8pm.
Written by Kevin Murphy and Dan Studney and inspired by the original 1936 film of the same name (view the entire film below), this raucous musical comedy takes a tongue-in-cheek look at the hysteria caused when clean-cut kids fall prey to marijuana, leading them on a hysterical downward spiral filled with evil jazz music, sex and violence.
The addictive and clever musical numbers range from big Broadway-style showstoppers to swing tunes like “Down at the Ol’ Five and Dime” and the Vegas-style “Listen to Jesus, Jimmy,” featuring J.C. Himself leading a chorus of showgirl angels! Reefer Madness is a highly stylized and satirical political commentary. It contains adult humor, religious parody, and drug use, as well as suggested violence and sexual explicitness. It therefore may be inappropriate for younger performers and audiences.
BLT is seeking actors to play characters from late teens to 60â€”you donâ€™t have to be those ages, just portray them.
Here are more details on the gig:
- Performances are at Burien Little Theatre in Burien from Sept. 24 through Oct. 31, 2010.
- Auditions are Friday, June 18 from 7 to 10 p.m. and Saturday, June 19 from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Callbacks are Sunday, June 20 from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Rehearsals begin in early August.
- Stage director is Steve Cooper and music director is Ann Sager.
- $100 stipend provided.
- Please prepare a comic monologue and two short contrasting songs (serious/comedy, ballad/patter). Bring resume and headshot. Callbacks will consist of cold readings from the script and work with music from the show.
- Please make audition appointment: [email protected] or call 206-242-5180. Auditions and callbacks will be held in the theater at the Burien Community Center Annex, 4th Ave. S.W. and S.W. 146th St.
- For directions, go to www.burienlittletheatre.com.
- Jimmy Harper â€“ Age range late teens. A wholesome, innocent, high school teenager who runs into trouble after he is lured into the dangerous world of reefer.
- Lecturer â€“ Age range 40-60. A severe authority figure who warns the audience of the perils of Reefer Madness. (Doubles as Boat-Man, Mr. Poppy, Irish Priest, Old Man, Radio Announcer, Ticket-Taker, Policeman, FDR.)
- Mary Lane â€“ Age range late teens. Jimmyâ€™s sweetheart, a naÃ¯ve, virginal teenage girl.
- Jack Stone â€“ Age range 30-40. The handsome, ruthless proprietor of the Reefer Den, a â€˜30s gangster-movie type. (Doubles as Jesus, George Washington.)
- Mae â€“ Age range mid-30s. The hostess of the Reefer Den: an attractive yet slightly haggard dame.
- Ralph Wiley â€“ Age range late 20s. A denizen of the Reefer Den, formally a fraternity man, his college days ended long ago by his reefer habit. (Doubles as Sallyâ€™s Baby, Switch-Puller, Uncle Sam.)
- Sally â€“ Age range 20-30. A sexy and seductive resident of the Reefer Den, she possesses the libidinous soul of Mae West combined with the rat-a-tat moxie of vintage Barbara Stanwyck. (Doubles as Lady Liberty.)
- Placard Girl â€“ Age range 20s. Throughout the play she reinforces the warnings of the Lecturer by holding large signs that clearly state the moral of what weâ€™ve just seen. (Doubles as Five-and-Dime Kid, Police Officer.)
- Ensemble â€“ Age range 20s. Mixed gender group to represent Reefer Zombies, Kids at the Five and Dime, Jungle Orgy dancers, Angels, and patriotic background chorus in the Star-Spangled finale. Strong vocal and dance skills preferred.
Here’s a video of the number “Little Mary Sunshine” from a film version of the musical featuring John Kassil and Kristen Bell:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHWHFJTWEk4
Here’s the “Brownie Song”:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=–IX1WMJmoE
If you’ve never seen the original 1930s film, it’s a hilarious one that’s definitely worth a view: