89th Annual Independence Day Parade Embodies Community Spirit, Pride
Just what is it about a parade that is so magical? Patriotic music fills the air as colorful floats drift idyllically down the street. Esteemed veterans proudly salute the American flag, beauty queens and elected officials wave merrily from their convertibles, and youngsters squeal in delight as they clamor for the free candy. All around, happiness is contagious. And in Burien, community pride shines!
The City of Burien and the Southwest King County Chamber of Commerce are excited to present the 89th Annual Burien Independence Day Parade, beginning at 3pm on Sunday, July 4, 2010.
Many members of our community return year after year to the Burien Independence Day Parade, and for good reason! Now in its 89th year, the Burien Independence Day Parade has gained a reputation as one of the most enjoyable and spirited community parades in the region. It starts at 3:00 pm in the afternoon, and goes for approximately two hours, putting it at a convenient time before all the barbecuing and fireworks begin.
This year, parade spectators will rub shoulders with:
- The Seafair Pirates, the scurviest pack of rogues to ever stain the seven seas! Make sure you plug your ears when their cannons go off!
- An award-winning marching band from Minnesota, the Patriots Marching Band has performed all over the country. The Patriotsâ€™ performance involves precision-style marching and a medley of Americana music, including â€œAmazing Grace,â€ â€œBattle Hymn of the Republic,â€ and Aaron Copelandâ€™s â€œAppalachian Spring.â€
- B-Town’s own star group of young performers, the Hi-Liners, will perform excerpts from their upcoming production of â€œLes Miserables.â€
- Burienâ€™s own belly dancers from the Abyssinian Dance Center will shimmy and shake as award-winning drill teams step and pulse to the beat!
- Ronald McDonald brings a smile to everyoneâ€™s face, especially if he’s riding his Segway around Burien.
- The Keystone Kops, celebrating their 30-year anniversary, will be chasing down any rascals or hooligans!
- More special entries will be announced by the Chamber, and of course, there may be some surprises on the actual day!
Burien Deputy Mayor Rose Clark notes, â€œSince my childhood I have loved Fourth of July parades. Flags waving, bands playing and people just having fun together. It doesn’t get better than that. We’ve been doing that in Burien for over 80 years. It is fun to work on, fun to oversee and fun to present right here in Burien. I hope to see people standing shoulder to shoulder just enjoying the day.”
Downtown Burien boasts a charming mix of business, retail and restaurants, coupled with the impressive new Town Square and City Hall. Everyone is invited to come and be a part of this longstanding Burien tradition. Make it your own tradition in 2010!
The parade begins at 3:00 pm on Sunday, July 4, 2010, at Ambaum Blvd. SW and SW 149th St. The route will head south on Ambaum, east on SW 153rd, north on 4th Ave. SW, then west on SW 152nd.
The Burien Independence Day Parade is sponsored by:
Partners for this event are:
Media Partner is of course, The B-Town Blog.
For questions about the parade, contact the Chamber at (206) 575-1633 or email [email protected].