Auditions For BLT’s New Comedy Start Wednesday, July 7th
Burien Little Theatre will be holding auditions for their next comedy, “Martha, Josie and the Chinese Elvis,” from 7pm – 10pm Wednesday, July 7th and Thursday, July 8.
Callbacks are Sunday, July 11 from 2pm – 6pm.
BLT is seeking actors between the ages 18 and 60 to play characters from age 22 to early 50s.
Synopsis: This West Coast premiere features an eccentric collection of Bolton, England misfits. Josie, a dominatrix about to turn 40 during the holidays decides it’s time to hang up her whips for good, so her favorite client throws her a party complete with a singing Vietnamese Elvis impersonator. Toss in an obsessive-compulsive maid, a disabled daughter Josie cares for at home, and the resurrection of a “dead” daughter/sister, and this quirky world comes together with heartwarming humanity.
The play was written by Charlotte Jones.
Here are the details:
- Performances are at Burien Little Theatre in Burien from Nov. 26 through Dec. 19, 2010.
- Auditions are from 7 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 7 and Thursday, July 8. Callbacks are Sunday, July 11 from 2 to 6 p.m.
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 17.
- Stage director John Vreeke, www.johnvreeke.com.
- $100 stipend provided.
- Please prepare two contrasting short contemporary monologues (serious/comedy) totaling 3 minutes maximum. Actors auditioning for Chinese Elvis should prepare an Elvis song to sing either a capella or with CD backup (CD player provided). Bring resume and headshot. Callbacks will consist of cold readings from the script.
- Please make audition appointment:[email protected], 206-242-5180. Auditions and callbacks will be held in the theater at the Burien Community Center Annex, 4th Ave. S.W. and S.W. 146th St.
- For directions, go to www.burienlittletheatre.com.
Actors should either already know how to do generic working class British accent (or other accent as indicated) or be able to learn one.
- Brenda Marie: Awkward young woman of 22, with learning disabilities.
- Martha Clear: Irish cleaning woman in her mid-40s who suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Josie: Brenda Marie’s mother – 40ish, attractive, a dominatrix by profession, a loving mother.
- Lionel: Dapper, balding, kindly looking man; owns a professional dry cleaners; late 40s/early 50s.
- Chinese Elvis: Young (20 to 30) Vietnamese Elvis Impersonator with a Manchester accent.
- Louise: Young, (early 20s) Brenda Marie’s sister, Josie’s other daughter…pretty, smart.