Exploding Homemade Fireworks Nearly Kill SeaTac Man
According to the King County Sheriff’s Department, a 64-year old SeaTac man was critically injured when homemade fireworks exploded Sunday night (July 4), sending him to Harborview Medical Center.
Police say that a 52 year-old resident of a house in the 2800 block of South 138th Street built a homemade “aerial device” by tying together a bundle of sparklers. He placed the sparklers in a tube, and then into a concrete cinder block to brace it. When the man lit off the “rocket’, it exploded in place, sending pieces of the concrete block in all directions.
The 64-year old victim was standing about 15 to 20 feet away when the device detonated. He was hit in the head by part of the cinder block, causing a serious head injury, which, according to the fire department, was life-threatening.
Other pieces of the block struck a nearby car, denting the door and breaking the window. The house and the garage door were also hit.
Both men live at the residence, as does the victim’s adult daughter. No one else was injured.
The Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit and Bomb Disposal Unit are investigating.
No arrests have yet been made and the investigation is continuing.