KIRO’s Dave Ross to Moderate B-Town Blog Candidates Forum July 20
We at The B-Town Blog are pleased to announce our next Candidates Forum, sure to be as memorable as the one we hosted a couple months back.
This one will be Tuesday, July 20, 7pm – 8:45pm in the boardroom of the Highline School District’s E.R.A.C. Building (15675 Ambaum Blvd. SW), featuring the four candidates vying for Dow Constantine’s former seat on the King County Council.
Moderator for the evening will be longtime local newsman and radio talk show host Dave Ross. Dave’s show airs 9am to noon Monday through Friday on 97.3 KIRO-FM.
All four candidates for the seat have been invited and all four have agreed to attend.
- Tim Fahey, professional carpenter and South Park resident.
- Joe McDermott, current 34th district state senator.
- Shawn McEvoy, former Normandy Park mayor and current Normandy Park city councilmember.
- Diana Toledo, former King County employee and self-described whistle blower on King County management and government.
We hosted a candidates forum in April featuring the four candidates for 34th District State Representative, Position 2, and it was a memorable one.
The moderator for that event was John Carlson of radio station KVI, who sent the room into an off-format sub-freezing conservative chill, clubbing the candidates like baby seals with his “cut spending now” Smackdown Stick.
(Yes, dedicated Readers, slight embellishment added.)
Like last time, the July 20 format is to have area journalists ask questions for the first half or so, followed by questions from the public. There is no admission charge and anyone and everyone is welcome to attend.
We asked Dave Ross if he would moderate this one with what we call his “balancing brand of common sense.” Ever the gentleman, Dave readily agreed. All evidence shows Dave owns no Smackdown Stick, but does have ready access to The Gavel of Evenhanded Wisdom.
The 8th District council seat everyone is duking it out for is currently held by Jan Drago, who is not running for election.
The primary is August 17. Mail-in ballots will be sent to registered voters later this month. The two candidates garnering the most votes advance to the general election in November.
There are two major rumors surrounding this July 20 affair.
1. One is that surviving members of Led Zeppelin will be staying at the Edgewater in Seattle that very same night, fishing from their windows, with the newly retired Helen Thomas pounding the drum skins in place of the late John Bonham.
Rumor rating: Unlikely.
2. The second rumor is that following the candidates forum, audience members are informally invited to make their way from the event to a nearby Burien eatery for (no-host) food and fizz. Plus some lively discussion.
Rumor rating: Likely.