REPORT: Burien Man Arrested In Connection With Death Of Brother

UPDATE 8/26/10 4:15pm: Folks, we’ve received your emails, we’ve read your Comments, we’ve even taken a phone call or two from distraught, angry family members and friends. Our deepest sympathies go out to the friends and family of the Loys, who are clearly experiencing a horrific tragedy, and are understandably upset that we’re reporting this news.

However, after much consideration and review from numerous fellow (and seasoned) journalists, we stand by the story as posted below.

Please note that, out of consideration for the family, we have softened some language and removed the mugshot of the suspect.

Here’s the latest update, directly from The Wausau Daily Herald:

A Washington man was arrested Tuesday in connection to the death of a North Carolina man in the town of Lac du Flambeau.

The Vilas County Sheriff’s Department has referred homicide charges for Scott Loy, 41, of Burien, Wash., for the death of his family member Brian Loy, 38, of Greensboro, N.C., to the Vilas County District Attorney’s Office, according to a Vilas County Sheriff’s Department press release.

Scott Loy made an initial appearance Wednesday in Vilas County Circuit Court. Judge Neil Neilsen set a $10,000 cash bond for Scott Loy. His arraignment hearing is set for Sept. 27.

A Vilas County investigation determined that Brian Loy died as a result of the physical altercation with another family member, according to the release. The Sheriff’s Department declined to say what the relationship is between Brian Loy and Scott Loy.

The Vilas County Sheriff’s Department was called at 5:54 a.m. Tuesday to Strawberry Point Drive in the town of Lac du Flambeau to investigate. Brian Loy was unconscious and pronounced dead at the scene.

The case is under investigation by the Vilas County Sheriff’s Department, Lac du Flambeau Police Department and the Vilas County Coroner’s Office.

WFJW-TV of northern Wisconsin is reporting that Scott Loy, 41, of Burien, has been arrested in the connection of the death of his brother, Brian Loy, 38, in the town of Lac du Flambeau on Monday, Aug. 24.

According to WJFW News:

• A 911 call was received early Monday morning reporting the incident.
  • A spokesman for the Vilas County Sheriff’s Department says the brothers got into a fight on a pontoon boat on Fence Lake in Lac du Flambeau.
  • 38-year-old Brian Loy of Greensboro, North Carolina, was pronounced dead at the scene.
  • Police say that he died as a result of a physical altercation with his brother, Scott, but the exact cause of death has not been determined.
  • Scott Loy made an initial appearance in Vilas County Circuit Court and a $10,000 cash bond was set.
  • An arraignment date of Sept. 27 was scheduled.

36 Responses to “REPORT: Burien Man Arrested In Connection With Death Of Brother”
  1. Chris says:

Scott has NOT been charged with ANYTHING. It’s my understanding that he was put in the terrible position of having to defend himself against his brother. A mere $10,000 bail shows that the authorities are thinking the same thing. His entire family is fully supporting Scott and so should we.

Very sorry to hear about this, Scott. Know that your friends support you.

2. Dana says:

I ask that you please change your headline. Scott has not been charged with murder and if you did just a little bit of research you would see that he has not been charged with murder or anything else at all as of Thursday morning. In fact the source you site says nothing about murder charges but “faces charges in connection with…”; this is not “murder”. This is an upstanding member of our community and he does not deserve your shoddy reporting. I understand your need to report but I wish you had the same need to get your facts straight before you did. Thisseems like slander to me. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Loy family at this time.

• Please note that our entire story is based on other news sources and reports – we’re just the local messenger here, and I don’t know why that’s considered “shoddy.”

However, due to our community-related concerns, we have changed the headline, and appreciate all comments.

We extend our sympathies to all friends and family members of the Loys.

We will update this story as we receive more info.

• Dana says:

I appreciate your attention to this. I called it “shoddy” because none of the reports out there had said that he’d been charged with murder, except for your headline, thereby scewing the tragedy into something it isn’t. It was misleading and therefore shoddy. Thank you for fixing it.

3. Lory says:

It would be nice if you could at least remove his picture since he is not in jail.. Sometimes a single photo can speak much louder than words. This is upsetting for family and friends of Scott and the photo adds to the pain.

Thank you for the consideration.

Lots of prayers to the Loys in this unfortunate situation.

4. Linda says:

You still have the word “murder suspect” under his picture. Your reporting is completely incorrect. Scott and his family are devastated, and we as his friends and community should be helping to support not looking to slander.
    You should remove this article completely until you have fully researched and understand the facts of this horrible accident.

5. unclewoo says:

So much for the TAO of journalism. Keep in mind, the BTB is not now, never was , and never will be,journalism.

6. Scott M says:

This post is still misleading, slanderous and hurtful. Please show some respect for the Loy family – a terrific family and positive part of our community.

Those of us who know the Loy family and understand the circumstances take great offense to the tone of this post. The fact is murder is intentional and this horrific accident should not be carelessly categorized as such. As a community, yes, we should be informed but, more importantly, your information should be delivered in the proper context and not cost the Loy family the support they deserve.

Please help the community come together in support of the Loy family rather than carelessly portraying a very negative and misleading picture.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Loy family.

7. Ted says:

Dana says:
    August 26, 2010 at 11:38 am

“I ask that you please change your headline. Scott has not been charged with murder and if you did just a little bit of research you would see that he has not been charged with murder or anything else”

Headline: “REPORT: Burien Man Arrested In Connection With Death Of Brother

Where exactly does this say anything about charges?

8. Betty says:

I ‘m Scott’s mother-in-law. Freedom of speech is an important right and as such should be respected and honored. To report a developing story in such a way that it only causes unnecessary hurt and irresponsible. You did nothing but hurt and cause more suffering to wonderful people who are already suffering. I do appreciate that you removed the picture but unforgettably the harm has already been done, .

• citizen says:

The facts are that 1 person is dead. Someone is responsible. Scott was arrested. These are the facts. BTB is doing a fine job reporting this story in my opinion. Family members asking for special treatment because they know the real story should not change the story. Maybe the family can answer why Scott didn’t jump in the lake and swim away?

• Rachel Loy says:

Trust me, my husband wishes he could have gotten away. There are so, so many things that could have gone differently. But God had a path and who are we to question Him.
        I don’t have any ill will towards BTB. I just was very concerned about my daughters and their friends seeing that photo of their sweet father right before school begins.
        I thank the publisher for listening to me and quickly having it removed.
        At this time, I would like to thank our friends and community for all your love and support during this very difficult time. As you know, while vacationing in Wisconsin and celebrating Scott’s mother’s 70th birthday, we suffered a horrible tragedy and lost our brother Brian Loy. Brian was a troubled soul with lots of demons to fight. He had been in jail for a good portion of his life & had done drugs for a good portion of his life. We thought he was recovering but sadly, he was losing the battle. Sometimes people take out their sorrows on the person they love the most. Scott had no choice but to defend himself against most certain death. The entire family supports Scott, including Brian’s girlfriend. We ask you to please, pray for Brian’s soul. He truly wanted to be a good person. And please pray for Scott who loves his brother dearly despite everything that has happened.
        Remember God loves us.

The Loy family

9. Betty –

As I’ve said in the post above, we have deep, sincere sympathies for the friends and family members of the Loys.

However, to say we “hurt” and caused more suffering suggests that we did something wrong and wreckless. That is *not* the case – we just reported bad news, and attributed our sources in a proper journalistic fashion.

I think we’ve gone out of our way to accommodate all the requests we’ve received, yet we are still getting negative feedback and comments about it.

This is a terrible story, and we’re all very sorry for what your family is going through.

10. Susie says:

Scott and family. We are all supporting you during this very difficult time!

11. Lucas says:

Sounds to me like Burien is becoming a stage for a soap opera. Either way you look at it the man is a suspect in the murder of his brother. No matter how this comes out it is still a blight on our community. All BTB is doing is giving the citizens of the town a heads up on what is going on. We have a right to know that a man in our community is accused of a serious and disturbing crime. I understand the family may be upset, but don’t take out your pain and frustration on a media source. We have a right to know, and kudos to BTB for informing us. Thanks, Scott. And Kudos for letting the people who deserve to know, know. =]

12. feral dog says:

And just who deserves to know Lucas,, you? Me? Scott? Maybe citizen? Why? Are you or us a family member or just nosy?
    I would assume if you were family you would already know, and as far as I`m concerned, just because he was a Burien resident, why did the story have to run in here? What DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH BURIEN? Is it going to help sell those condos?,,,nope,, maybe it`ll help get retail business` down there,, ummm, nope,,, maybe a public lynching in the town square,, don`t think so,, in other words,, Some things the B-town blog should MYTOB, this is one..
    I don`t any of these people but I know one thing,, it isn`t OUR business, it`s a family thing, it didn`t involve 3rd parties sort of speak,,,It didn`t impact Burien it didn`t involve anyone of us here or impact us in any way,, It didn`t even happen in this STATE, so why????
    News starved I guess,

13. feral dog says:

I don`t KNOW any of these people involved that should have said.

14. kaila says:

I am the partner of Brian Loy and I can say that the events that occured on August 24, 2010 were and will always remain a tragedy for the entire family. Being witness to some of the horrific stories that were discussed the night of Brian’s death, it would be quite fair to say that BOTH brothers were “troubled souls” with “demons to fight”. Brian had the determination and unconditional love and acceptance from my family and his friends here to win that fight. Regardless of his past, because of what happened that night, his future was stolen from him. No amount of money or time will ever bring back the father of our beautiful 3 yr old and unborn child.

I believe that Scott had no intention of killing his brother, but I do not support the smear campaign against Brian in order to keep Scott and his family in tact. I’m horrified, disgusted, and heart broken that anyone would mention previous jail time and/or drug use in an attempt to justify or explain why a person was murdered.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

• Bridgett Matthews says:

Kaila is my niece and Majerle is my great niece. It is to my surprise to hear about Brian’s death. I met Brian and he was a very nice guy. I don’t understand how people can say such mean things about a person after his death. I doesn’t matter what was done in the past because may I remind you that we all have a past. It’s what is happening in the present and the things that were planned to happen in the future. My family is a God fearing family. And believe me when God said “vengeance is mine”, it’s true. Because God knows your thoughts even before they’re spoken and he knows your heart. It’s good to know that judgement is not ours, for God has the last word. And as a family we are standing beside (notice I said beside not behind qand sometime in front of) Kaila and Majerle through all of this. For all of you that don’t know the power of God I would like kindly remind you to read the story of Cain and Abel (Gen 4:1). I don’t believe his early death was God’s will because the bible say’s that Satan comes to kill, steal and destroy. But, Christ came so that we may have a good life and life more abundantly. Brian may you Rest In Peace for your time on Earth is done, watch over your famliy from Heaven above. Kaila, Majerle and unborn baby Loy will be fine because my niece comes from a God fearing family that believes that God has the final say. Love you with all my heart and my your remembrance be hence forth and forever more.

Love unconditionally, Aunt Bridgett

15. Stephanie says:

I’m the best friend of Kaila(Brian Loy’s Partner) and I am outraged. How dare anyone talk so badly about someone who can no longer defend themselves? Especially “family”! You are a heartless coward and when all is said and done this is a murder! Consequences will be served. Brian was one of the hardest working, kind hearted, gentle giants I have EVER known.His daughter loved him every second of everyday and I’m sure his unborn child would have loved him just as much if the chance wasn’t taken away from him/her. All this is showing is that the past affected the anger of Scott greatly. Not a good thing to know as a murder suspect…
    There are so many people heart broken and devastated over the loss of such a great man. Its unfortunate that none of those people are his blood family members cause they’re too busy talking about his past. He never ever had a bad word to say about them. Shows he was a better person after all.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who truly loved Brian Loy for the great man and father he was.
    R.I.P BLoy….we all love you very much!

16. Janet says:

What happened? How can someone be killed without a weapon. Was this an accident or was this a fight where Brian was attacked like I am hearing.

Brian, you will be missed!!!

17. feral dog says:

are you sure you want to air this laundry here on an open forum? Maybe that would have been said best to the family itself and if you chose to do so here instead,,,, well,,, I see a pandoras box that nothing good is going to come out of,,

• Leigh says:

It seems to me that plenty of dirty laundry about the VICTIM was aired long before his partner responded….

My heart goes out to you and your children, Kaila.

• Lisa says:

<i.Kaila, are you sure you want to air this laundry here on an open forum?

Ferel dog, that sounds like a threat. What kind of person threatens a recent widow for simply trying to defend her partner against a supposed family member’s character attacks.

• feral dog says:

A threat? don`t be a dumbass Lisa, if you read that as a threat you might be best to stick to children`s literature. I don`t know any of them,AND DON`T CARE TO.
        It was meant as it was written, and the reason is just what is happening now,, Janet saying Rachael is a druggie and so on and so forth,,, I was trying to prevent all this dirty laundry that is now starting to get aired from being public like this but now it looks like the snowball is rolling.
        I feel bad for all involved, I could see from the get go that NOTHING good is going to come from this but accusations and very hurt individuals,, including innocent children, and its a pain that`s going to last a very long time. She should be defending her partner, but I don`t feel and open forum is the place for it. If you think it`s going to stop here, you may want to go get a clue.

18. Phillip says:

Kaila is just trying to defend her partner!! What family member would post on an open forum about a dead man’s past?? -Talking about he was a “troubled soul with lots of demons to fight” and telling everyone about his jail and drug past?!! Looks like Rachel is trying to make her husband look good.

19. Janet says:

Rachel is a druggie too, so that’s why she would post that about Brian.

I hope Scott pays dearly for what he has done.

20. Louise says:

What were the brothers doing up so early in the morning?
    Were they partying all night and got into a fight?
    These questions really don’t matter; I was just wondering.

Very sad story 🙁

My heart goes out to all family members and close friends especially the children!

21. chris says:

Brian Loy was a very close friend of mine for the past few years. I was close with him, Kaila an Majerle. B.Loy was/is a great person. He would have done anything for you, whether it was him giving you his last $5 or the shirt he was wearing, always looked out for his family and his friends. He is a special person that was put in my life, to help me, and make me a better person. He is somebody that I will think about every day and will truly be missed..

22. Outraged says:

If you were so concerned about the airing of dirty laundry you would have said something to Rachel or directed at her, not Kaila who was defending her husband….

FYI I think something fishy is going on.. its sad everyone was more worried about Scott who is still alive and able to see his family rather that Brian whom lost his life… He’s the one who will never see his kids again…. I don’t put much stock into what murderer defenders have to say when they choose to side step the whole issue of the ACTUAL HUMAN BEING WHO DIED AND LOST HIS LIFE… Really I think ever member and person involved who forgot about Brian and only cared about Scott should go to HELL along with Scott if he’s guilty!! Judging by his “defendents” one-sided careless remarks sound like he kept company and a bed with people who are shit heads and will be going to hell with or without him

• interested reader says:

I’m sitting here reading these comments 2 years later and I’m ashamed to say that it still astonishes me that people can be so mean and spiteful. Anyone who invokes God into a conversation by announcing that a group of people they don’t know are going to hell might want to think about where they will ultimately end up. Sounds like a lot of anger and hatred…..

23. Mar says:

I’m so sorry Kaila. This is so tragic.
    May God bring you peace and nothing but good things to you and your two precious children.

24. Billy says:

Does anybody know what happened at the arraingment