REPORT: Burien Man Arrested In Connection With Death Of Brother
UPDATE 8/26/10 4:15pm: Folks, we’ve received your emails, we’ve read your Comments, we’ve even taken a phone call or two from distraught, angry family members and friends. Our deepest sympathies go out to the friends and family of the Loys, who are clearly experiencing a horrific tragedy, and are understandably upset that we’re reporting this news.
However, after much consideration and review from numerous fellow (and seasoned) journalists, we stand by the story as posted below.
Please note that, out of consideration for the family, we have softened some language and removed the mugshot of the suspect.
Here’s the latest update, directly from The Wausau Daily Herald:
A Washington man was arrested Tuesday in connection to the death of a North Carolina man in the town of Lac du Flambeau.
The Vilas County Sheriff’s Department has referred homicide charges for Scott Loy, 41, of Burien, Wash., for the death of his family member Brian Loy, 38, of Greensboro, N.C., to the Vilas County District Attorney’s Office, according to a Vilas County Sheriff’s Department press release.
Scott Loy made an initial appearance Wednesday in Vilas County Circuit Court. Judge Neil Neilsen set a $10,000 cash bond for Scott Loy. His arraignment hearing is set for Sept. 27.
A Vilas County investigation determined that Brian Loy died as a result of the physical altercation with another family member, according to the release. The Sheriff’s Department declined to say what the relationship is between Brian Loy and Scott Loy.
The Vilas County Sheriff’s Department was called at 5:54 a.m. Tuesday to Strawberry Point Drive in the town of Lac du Flambeau to investigate. Brian Loy was unconscious and pronounced dead at the scene.
The case is under investigation by the Vilas County Sheriff’s Department, Lac du Flambeau Police Department and the Vilas County Coroner’s Office.
WFJW-TV of northern Wisconsin is reporting that Scott Loy, 41, of Burien, has been arrested in the connection of the death of his brother, Brian Loy, 38, in the town of Lac du Flambeau on Monday, Aug. 24.
According to WJFW News:
- A 911 call was received early Monday morning reporting the incident.
- A spokesman for the Vilas County Sheriff’s Department says the brothers got into a fight on a pontoon boat on Fence Lake in Lac du Flambeau.
- 38-year-old Brian Loy of Greensboro, North Carolina, was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Police say that he died as a result of a physical altercation with his brother, Scott, but the exact cause of death has not been determined.
- Scott Loy made an initial appearance in Vilas County Circuit Court and a $10,000 cash bond was set.
- An arraignment date of Sept. 27 was scheduled.