Should Dick’s Drive-In Build A Burger Joint In/Near Burien? Vote Now…

On Monday afternoon (Aug. 30), Jim Spady of Dick’s Drive-In announced that they’ll be expanding their line of fast food restaurants by one, with the final location to be determined by votes from the public on the restaurant’s website.

There are three areas under consideration:

1. South End, which includes Burien, South Seattle, Renton, Tukwila, SeaTac and West Seattle.
  2. North includes Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood, Edmonds and South Everett.
  3. East includes Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Bothell, Mercer Island, Issaquah and Sammamish.

Click image to go to the slow-loading Dick's website to vote.

As of 11pm Monday night, the vote tallies are showing us South Enders trailing in third place, with just 29% (1,748 votes) – could this be a sign that we already have a sufficient supply of red meat and tater-based food product?

Leading the pack is the obviously burger-starved East Side, at 37% (2,260 votes).

Second place goes to the North End with 33% (1,982 votes).

So Burien – do YOU want a Dick’s Drive-In ’round these parts? Or are you already happy with B-Town Burgers and other local joints?

Click here to vote, but be very patient – on Monday night, their website was moving about as fast as Heinz ketchup on a cool crisp late-summer rainy day.

Comments

28 Responses to “Should Dick’s Drive-In Build A Burger Joint In/Near Burien? Vote Now…”
  1. Rod says:

Up to 30% Monday night!! But that is one SLOW site!

2. Ed Dacy says:

Also e-mail Burien City COuncil, the city should send a letter invinting Dicks to come to Burien

3. Seattle fats says:

As A local Food and Beverage Manager I consider my self a avid food and drink consumer. I work in Burien and live in West Seattle. If some one should expand their burger joint it should be Zippys Giant Burgers.. If you have not had a burger there you need to!

4. TcB says:

Personally, as much as I love Dick’s Drive in for the food and the history, we don’t need it unless just for cache. We’ve got Smokey’s (award winner) and Paul’s (flame broiled) for our one off burger places. Also, the Elliott bay pub makes a good burger, and so does the new B-Town Burger. We’ve also got every fast food burger place, however annoying. Send it East as they don’t have Dicks over there : D

5. Liljo says:

Yum! I vote YES!

6. feral dog says:

That website is a little slower than ketchup on a cold night,, damn thing is slower than
    molasses on ice,, good grief! Been almost 15 minutes now and still not all the way up,,,
    If it takes them as long to fry a gut bomb as it does for their website to load,, they could have built the friggin thing by now..

7. Clint Ross says:

I love Dick’s Drivens, the food is the best, Burien is ok, I vote yes, but where they really should put one is in Lynnwood. “PLEASE”

8. Fish Finder says:

Smokeys or Pauls burger joint? Give me a break sheesh.When did Smokeys win an award in the 70’s? B-Town burger kills thier burgers by squishing the life out of them,so does Pauls.I must try CC Restaurant since I saw they use fresh ground beef!!

Thats what B-Town claims but the texture is like a hockey puck like everywhere else!!! What we need is a ZIPPY Burger joint over here…

• TcB says:

They have their “Best of Seattle” award up in the shop. I think it’s from last year or maybe a couple years ago. I see a lot of restaurants with Zagat signs from the 90’s still up. Maybe you haven’t eaten there. Maybe you don’t like it. Zippy’s looks similar but I haven’t eaten there. I can’t comment on something I haven’t had, unlike you.

9. Dr. Dave says:

As mentioned above, there are several places in Burien to get a great Burger including the “Sidestreet Kitchen” on SW 148th which makes some outsanding Burgers. I think the best place for it to go would be Des Moines. They got good Hot-Dogs there, and a Dick’s Burger would fit in just right.. . .

10. [paul says:

hey, I love dicks as much as the next guy but lets face it, its not the best burger in town its a drunk and standerd burger somewhere to go when your hammerd… cheap quick and easy it needs alot of customers to be profitable. i dont think burien can support that midnight business, As for the guy who said b town burgers is a hocky puck. Whats up you must work or are associated with zippys the bugers at b town are 100% fresh not frozen they do not hand form there patties because of econimics. its just is not feesable. but they have people that do that for them . Dont get me wrong I think Zippys makes a great burger and i eat them on a regular basis but there is room for more great burgers. ….. i thinkb town burgers serves a very tasty burger with a lot of choices.and great customer service. If you have been there and had a bad expierence tell them they will bend over backwards to make you happy.

11. feral dog says:

B-town burgers is okay but I think a little spendy for what you get. ^.50 for a standard burger is a little steep in my opinion,. But as far as Dick`s, sure that would be okay,, but I would rather see a five guys move into Burien,,good burgers..

12. feral dog says:

Hey Fish finder,, want to go out and catch some salmon in the river?

13. Chris says:

I would prefer a burger joint which made burgers the way you want them – and that sure isn’t Dicks. Too bad there was no “NO” button in the survey…..

14. andrew says:

Dicks would be a fun burger joint to have in the south end. Zippys has a great burger and B-town burger comes is pretty good too.. I rather eat at one of these places and keep dicks for my grease fix at 1AM

15. I have a call into them to get some more information on their requirements.

As many people have noted, Burien has many great places to eat. It is very nice to have such a variety as we have here in Burien as there are so many different opinions as to likes and dislikes when it comes to eating out.

16. Susie says:

I say yes to Dicks. I have yet to find a good fast food burger in Burien. We do need it!

17. Coverofnight says:

First tried Dick’s and Burgermaster in the U-District in the ’70’s; went back to both recently…wasn’t impressed then, wasn’t impressed now. Elliott Bay pub makes a very good burger, but their service…..well, let’s just say that you’ll order it during one Administration and get it served when the next President takes office!

Would rather see a Red Robin in Burien or, even better, a Sonic Drive-in! (Guess I’m getting too lazy to drive to Des Moines or Southcenter for Red Robin.)

And after reading the comments on Zippy’s, it looks like I better try that place…..just might be my new favorite hangout…;)

18. Following up on yesterday’s comment, I had a nice conversation with Mr. Spady of Dicks.

Their future place, where ever it is built will employ 20 people. They pay higher wages than most fast food places, provide benefits and have a scholarship plan. The result is that they have a very low employee turnover.

I was impressed with their commitment to their employees and their community.

19. Steve says:

I’ve had better burgers at a Denny’s ! What’s the deal with Dick’s ? Are there that many people out there who have no sense of taste ?

• I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion. Whether or not you like or dislike something on a matter of personal preference, it is not license to belittle other people’s opinions.

State what you like or dislike about something but please refrain from casting aspersions on other peoples tastes. It is a form of bullying that, I believe, does not put you in the best light.

20. Kim says:

I think a Dick’s Drive-In would be a great addition to B-town. A new reasonably-priced eatery would be a great addition, as well as a welcome change to the same old chain-burger places we are all so tired of.

21. Julie says:

How ’bout a Burgerville? (The Portland chain). Then we’re talking!

22. stacy colombel says:

Definitely a Dicks drive in Burien. Our Discover Burien committee should persue this and also a Sonic’s

• Coverofnight says:

Finally……another vote for Sonic! I also forgot to mention Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor – did you know that they have opened again in California, I believe? Yes, the same establishment that was in Southcenter…maybe they’ll expand our way into Burien.

23. dave says:

the hell with dicks..why not a carls jr. in burien

24. Nate says:

That’s what Zippy’s is for =)