St. Vincent de Paul’s “Friends Of The Poor” Walk Is Sept. 25th At JFK
The third annual St. Vincent de Paul “Friends of the Poor” fundraiser walk will be held at John F. Kennedy High School (140 South 140th Street) on Saturday, Sept. 25th.
This is the local arm of a country=wide walk, where people are asked to walk, have fun and get donations to help the poor in our communities.
Walkers and Donors are still being sought to sign up.
To get more info, click here.
Here are the details:
WHAT: St. Vincent de Paul “Friends of the Poor” Walk
WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 25th.
WHERE: John F. Kennedy High School, located at 140 South 140th Street in Burien.
INFO: From a flier:
Join tens of thousands of caring people in more than 100 cities across the country in the “Friends of the Poor” Walk on Saturday, September 25th. Invite your family, your friends, your business associates, and your fellow church goers to come together as a group to join you in our Walk event at Kennedy High School. This is an opportunity to have some family fun and get some exercise on behalf of the poor in our communities. We need walkers and donors to make this event a success. All funds donated will be used by local St. Vincent de Paul volunteers to prevent evictions, hunger, utility shut-offs and more.
Three Ways for Walkers & Donors to Sign Up:
- Register At Your Local Catholic Parish. Vincentians in most parishes in King County have sign-up information and will be looking for participants after Masses beginning in August, until just before the event. You can make a donation at the same time you sign up, or you can bring the donation to the site on the day of the event.
- Register At Kennedy High School on September 25th. Volunteers will be helping walkers and donors sign up and record their donations at the walk site on the day of the event.
- Register Online. The National office of St. Vincent de Paul has provided a website so you can register and email friends and colleagues to pledge online to support your activity in the walk. Go to www.svdpfriendsofthepoorwalk.org.
Click on Become a Walker. Type the name of your city and click Search. Choose the local St. Vincent de Paul Conference or the Council of Seattle/King County by clicking on the Blue Set button. (This will direct the funds you raise to the group you wish to support.) Fill out your contact information and Walk goal. Click on Add Walker. Then, finally, you will have an opportunity to click on Evite so you can send an email invitation to each person you want to ask for a pledge.
Why We Walk
We are going to walk in this event, and we invite you to join us so that we can:
- Raise awareness of the many persons in need in our communities.
- Demonstrate solidarity with the poor and try to understand the difficulties they encounter in society and todayâ€™s economy.
- Seek donations for the poor. 100% of the money raised will be used to assist our needy neighbors in King County as a whole, or in the community around the Catholic Church you choose.
Ask About Business/Organization Sponsorship Opportunities. We are looking for sponsors who are willing to make larger donations in return for the opportunity to set up a booth on the infield grass at the Kennedy track. We welcome monetary donations and/or donations of food, liquid refreshment, or take-home reminders of the walk and the sponsor. Please contact Richard Bray at [email protected] for more information and to sign up.