Introducing An “Experiment In Irony”: A Print Version Of The B-Town Blog!

Click image to download your own PDF of our print version you can print yourself.

We’re trying an “experiment in irony” here at your normally online-only B-Town Blog – we’re printing up free weekly one-page, double-sided, 8-1/2 x 11 inch condensed versions of our online publication, and distributing them around various Burien businesses.

Edited and Designed by Nicholas Johnson, if this experiment fails, these are surely to become collector’s items – so get yours today!

You can find ’em at the following area locations (with more to be added if it “takes off”):

• The Tin Room
  • The Mark Restaurant & Bar
  • Burien Press
  • Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub
  • Elliott Bay Brewery

As we said, this project is an “experiment in irony” (WTFH?! an online-only publication doing print?!), and it’s meant to supplement our regular, daily edition, oftentimes with bonus content and photos.

But don’t worry, we’re not switching our business over to a dying medium – we’re simply trying something new; plus, it’s only one (double-sided) page so just chillax will ya?

And we know a lot of folks still enjoy reading tree-based products, especially since not everyone has an iPad yet. Heck, we even enjoy reading ink on paper occasionally (as well as risking those oh-so-painful paper cuts…) and we promise that we’ll only use 100% recyclable paper.

If you’d rather just download and print your own PDF and kill part of a tree yourself, click here to get your very own collectible version of Edition #1.

There is dedicated advertising space in it, so if you’re an area business and want to hop on board our newfangled old-world experiment, please email Janet Grella: [email protected].

Comments

12 Responses to “Introducing An “Experiment In Irony”: A Print Version Of The B-Town Blog!”
  1. Coverofnight says:

Not a bad idea to put this out for the visitors to this area – a short overview with “feel-good” stories. Personally, I prefer the online version for the diverse comments we see regarding issues – both “feel-good” and “not-so-feel-good”. And thanks for putting a link to download a .pdf copy. I was going to pull up in front of one of the listed establishments to grab a copy, but realized that the creepy, Parking Enforcement Guy (or Peg – Peggy? – as he should now be referred) would have a ticket under my windshield wiper before I even get around to the front of my car!

• jan says:

That guy stopped me the other day for parking at a Doc’s office in a handicapped spot. He couldn’t see my official handicapped placquard hanging from my mirror. I had to show him my license and state issued handicapped card. It was a little scary when I wasn’t breaking any laws to be interrogated for being a person of disabilities. geeez.

An I like the print edition of BTB!

• Star says:

That guy is always at the Albertson’s on S 128th St and 1st Ave S. Doesn’t the city of Burien have anything better to spend their money on??

2. TcB says:

Making a print version of a website does not fit the definition of Irony (the most misunderstood word in the English language, thanks Alanis). Basically, Irony is something involving an untruth. Most people confuse coincidence with irony. Making a print copy of a website doesn’t fit any definition of irony that i could find. I’m sorry about that, but the misuse of the word irony is one of my pet peeves. If I could figure out how to make this comment ironic and at the same time understandable to the readers I would do it just for fun. But I can’t.

• Star says:

Taken from http://www.m-w.com

Definition of IRONY
      : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other’s false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony
      a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
      a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

• Lee Moyer says:

One definition of irony in my dictionary (printed on paper) is : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result. In this case, the sequence of events is the movement toward electronic print and away from paper. Making a paper version of the electronic print is an ironic incongruity.
      On the other hand, when Scott was trying to explain his position in the artricle about the Burien man arrested (?) in connection with his brothr’s death, he denied being wreckless. I thought that was ironic, since in the flow of things that situation was a bit of a car wreck. Of course, in driving a wreckless driver is probably not reckless and a reckless driver is probably not wreckless.. I hope that clears it all up.

• TcB says:

irony, language device, either in spoken or written form in which the real meaning is concealed or contradicted by the literal meanings of the words (verbal irony) or in a situation in which there is an incongruity between what is expected and what occurs (dramatic irony).

Verbal irony arises from a sophisticated or resigned awareness of contrast between what is and what ought to be and expresses a controlled pathos without sentimentality. It is a form of indirection that avoids overt praise or censure, as in the casual irony of the statement “That was a smart thing to do!”
        I still say it isn’t Irony. But, I give up. English is a changing language and the mob rules when it comes to making up new meanings for existing words.

• TcB says:

oh, and the wreckless reckless thing? That’s a pun.

• TcB says:

ok, technically, if unintended, a malapropism…

• Lee Moyer says:

It was neither a pun nor a malapropism but a play on words based on what seemed to me to be a misspelling (missed by the spell check, I presume, since wreckless is still a legitimate word). What I wrote was meant literally as a play on words that had some meaning when written but would be nonsensical if heard aloud. I thought it interesting, possibly humorous, and, since all this explaination only complicates matters, maybe even ironic.

• TcB says:

A play on words if meant is a pun, if unintended, a malapropism. Irony mostly deals with the printed word. Dramatic irony (something happening different from expectations) is generally meant to describe something in a book or a play. Read some Dickens. What we’re doing now is not Irony, it is an argument.

3. TcB says:

ok, it’s not dramatic, verbal, situational irony. I am willing to concede that it’s just possible that some academic could find this to be Cosmic Irony. That’s the one that can get stretched to include just about anything. Now enough, class dismissed.

Share Your Opinion

...and oh, if you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!