Auditions For Burien Little Theatre’s ‘Clean House’ Start Thursday
Our friends at Burien Little Theater will be holding auditions for “Clean House” beginning this Thursday, Nov. 4th from 7:30pm – 10:30pm, and Saturday, Nov. 6th from 1pm – 4pm.
The auditions are for five roles, including two South American women, in the comedy written by Sarah Ruhl, known best for her play “Dead Man’s Cell Phone.”
This play is an ensemble piece for five actors, two of whom will also fill dual roles. Characters range in age from their late 20s to their 50s.
A clever offbeat comedy about the beautiful messiness of life, full of romance, laced with astringency and tinged with absurdist fantasy. A doctor hires a maid who hates to clean and is in search of the perfect joke. To cover for the maid, the doctor’s sister secretly takes over the housecleaning–and finds “foreign” underwear in the laundry. As the doctor’s marriage unravels, true love emerges and the perfect joke is found.
- Performances are at Burien Little Theatre from Feb. 11th through March 6th, 2011.
- Auditions will be Thursday, Nov. 4th from 7:30pm – 10:30pm, and Saturday, Nov. 6th from 1pm – 4pm.
- Callbacks are Tuesday, Nov. 9 from 6:30pm – 10:30pm.
- Rehearsals begin Jan. 3rd.
- Stage director is Maggie Larrick.
- $100 stipend provided.
- Please prepare two contrasting short contemporary monologues (serious/comedy) totaling 3 minutes maximum. Bring resume and headshot. Callbacks will consist of cold readings from the script.
- Please make audition appointment: [email protected], 206-242-5180. Auditions and callbacks will be held in the theater at the Annex to the Burien Community Center, 4th Ave. S.W. and S.W. 146th St.
- For directions, go to www.burienlittletheatre.org.
- Lane: A doctor, in her late 40s to early 50s. Wears white and is always busy. A logical woman who unravels when confronted with her husband’s seemingly illogical behavior.
- Matilde: Lane’s housecleaner, a Brazilian woman in her late 20s. Wears black and hates to clean. Has a refined sense of deadpan humor and is in search of the perfect joke. Speaks some Portuguese. Actor should either already know or be able to learn how to speak with a Portuguese accent plus a few sentences in Portuguese.
- Virginia: Lane’s sister, in her 50s. A housewife in an unsatisfying marriage and a compulsive cleaner.
- Charles: Lanes’s husband, in his late 40s to 50s. A compassionate surgeon who discovers his soulmate in Ana. Charles plays Matilde’s father in Act I. Movement background a plus.
- Ana: An Argentinean woman, older than Lane. Impossibly charismatic. Ana plays Matilde’s mother in Act I. Movement background a plus. Speaks some Argentinean. Actor should either already know or be able to learn how to speak with an Argentinean accent plus a few sentences in Argentinean.