by Ralph Nichols 
Eighteen hopefuls have submitted applications to replace Kathy Keene on the Burien City Council.
Keene, who was elected to the council in 2007, is also a commissioner of Water District 20. In September she announced her resignation, effective Dec. 31, to move to Florida and retire.
The cutoff date for submitting applications was Oct. 27. Five finalists are expected to be selected on Nov. 2, based on their individual rankings by council members.
Interviews of the finalists will take place prior to the Nov. 8 and 22 council meetings. Council members are expected to announce the top candidate to replace Keene on Dec. 6.
At their first meeting in January the council will vote and the successful nominee will then be sworn in and seated.
The new council member will fill the remainder of Keene’s term, which ends Dec. 31, 2011.
Candidates for City Council Position 6, listed in alphabetical order, are:
- John Edward “Jeb” Binns – Highline High School teacher and varsity soccer coach.
- Len Boscarine – Burien Planning Commission member and retired business owner.
- Duane Douglas Camerota – owner of Doug’s Garden Patch and past owner of Cugina’s Produce.
- Ed Dacy – tax preparer and accountant, Vice Chairman of the City of Burien’s Park and Recreation Board.
- Gregory Duff – Burien Planning Commission member, past president of the North Highline Unincorporated Area Council, and concrete mixer truck driver.
- John C. Elliott – quality systems project manager with Boeing.
- Paul Galvan – professional singer-musician and part-time server.
- Ricky L. Gerontis – retired Boeing manager.
- Kathy Justin – Burien Arts Commission member, co-founder of the Burien/Interim Art Space project, and architectural lighting designer.
- John Lievero – police officer and detective, city of Normandy Park.
- Miles Partman – founder and president of a business (not identified).
- Charles B. Rangel – medical equipment supplier with Laboratory Corporation of America.
- Andrea H. Reay – production administrator with Seattle Opera.
- Gerald F. Robison – attorney with a law practice in Burien, president of White Center Jubilee Days.
- Dawne St. John – assistant accounts receivable/credit manager.
- Karen R. Veloria – float pool manager, Public Health/Seattle-King County.
- Deborah L. Wagner – customer service with Fred Meyer, board member of both RCAA and CASE.
- Don Warren – business and technology consultant, president of Lake Burien Shore Club.