UPDATE: Power Restored, Fire Damage Cleared Up & The Mark Has Re-Opened
Debra George, co-owner of The MARK Restaurant and Bar in Olde Burien, alerted us just before Noon on Friday (March 18) that power has been restored, fire and water damage has been cleaned up, and they’re back open for business.
As we previously reported, an electrical fire hit The MARK on Wednesday morning (March 16), toasting up the main electrical box, burning out four 200-amp service boxes, causing the sprinklers to go off and of course some subsequent water damage.
The cause of the fire, at least according to Doug Gunns of All-Ways Electrical (who fixed the electrical and restored power), appeared to NOT be related to the installation of a new espresso machine.
Doug told us Friday that the breakers were from the 70s, and the design was such that they’d actually vibrate. Vibration of course causes friction, which causes heat, and these aging breakers apparently reached their breaking point Wednesday morning around 10:30am.
Debra says “Thanks to the city, as well as Seattle City Light and our Electrician Doug Gunns, we were able to get everything back to 100% working order within 48 hours!”
Power was fully restored around 11:40am Friday morning, and the restaurant now has a brand new electrical box, replacing the aging (and now charred) one inherited from the previous tenant, Jim Moore’s.
Debra says they’ll be serving corned beef and cabbage all weekend, and will also have some sort of fire-related drink specials, so be sure to stop in and welcome them back to business!
Oh, and be sure to tell them you heard about it on The B-Town Blog!
The MARK is located at 918 SW 152nd Street in Olde Burien.