UPDATE: Sheriff’s Officer Shoots, Kills Man In Burien Sunday Night

UPDATE MONDAY 4/18/11: We just received the following update from the King County Sheriff’s Office on Sunday night’s incident where a man was shot and killed by a deputy in Burien:

A man wanted by the Sheriff’s Office for felony eluding a week ago, and wanted for questioning in a similar eluding case yesterday afternoon, was shot and killed last night about 8:20 PM. The man, 25-years old, died at the scene.

The first chase was on April 10th about 5:20 PM. A deputy tried to stop a dark Honda after he saw the car go through a red light at a high rate of speed. He tried to pull the car over at S. 120th and Des Moines Memorial Drive, but the driver refused to stop.

The chase continued for several blocks until terminated due to speeds in excess of 70 mph. Later the deputy identified the driver of the 1990 Honda Accord from a photo montage prepared by detectives. The driver is the registered owner of the vehicle, with an address in Covington.

Yesterday (Sunday, April 17th) a different deputy saw the same Honda Accord in the area of SW 108th and 1st Ave SW. The driver was spinning his tires doing a “burn out” with smoke coming from the tires. The driver saw the deputy, but continued the burn out in reverse.

A chase ensued over several blocks. At South 128th and 24th Ave South other deputies set out spike strips but the suspect driver saw the spikes and turned off at the last moment. The chase was terminated shortly thereafter. At one point the deputy estimated the Honda reached a speed of 100 mph.

The deputy was unable to identify the driver, but based on the license plate, it was the same Honda Accord involved in the April 10th chase.

At 8:05 PM, the deputy from the case earlier in the day spotted the Honda in the parking lot of the Arbor Court Apartments, 2225 S. 112th St., which is in the city of Burien. The car was unoccupied.

The deputy called for plain clothes detectives to assist. Several responded in unmarked cars to stake out the suspect vehicle. If the driver returned, the plan was to box the vehicle in and not let it leave the apartment parking lot.

At about 8:20 PM a male got into the car and a female into the passenger seat. Just before the exit from the complex onto S. 112th, police cars including at least one fully marked unit tried to keep the suspect from leaving the lot. However the suspect driver struck three cars trying to get out and around the police cars, and shots were eventually fired by one deputy. Deputies gave CPR until a medic unit arrived. The man was pronounced dead at the scene by medics at 8:56 PM.

The woman passenger was not injured. However shortly afterwards she became unresponsive and was taken to Highline Hospital for treatment. Methamphetamine was found on her person during treatment. She was released from the hospital about 5:00 AM and booked into King County jail for possession of drugs and several arrest warrants.

The name of the suspect will be released by the Medical Examiner’s office. He has two felony convictions on his record including theft and possession of stolen property.

The passenger was also a twice-convicted felon (drugs and theft) and had a felony arrest warrant for Escape from Community Custody, as well as three misdemeanor warrants.

The deputy who fired the shots was placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure. He is 42 years old and has been with the Sheriff’s Office for just over 14 years. He is assigned to a neighborhood crime unit.

PREVIOUSLY:

According to various sources, a King County Sheriff’s Office deputy shot and killed a man in the Boulevard Park area Sunday night.

Full details and cause of the shooting aren’t clear yet, but here’s what we do know:

• The shooting reportedly happened sometime between 8:30pm and 9pm Sunday night, April 17th.
  • The location of the shooting was apparently near South 112th Street and Des Moines Way South in the Riverton-Boulevard Park area, according to sources in the Sheriff’s Office.
  • Apparently officers were waiting for the suspect, a man in his 20s, to return to his vehicle so they could arrest him. We don’t know the reason for his arrest.
  • The deputy who shot the man was in plainclothes and has 12 years experience as a police officer, police said.
  • No officers were injured in the shooting, police said.

We first learned of the shooting via KING5’s Kyle Moore’s Tweets.

As we learn more, we’ll post updates.

View Larger Map

Comments

28 Responses to “UPDATE: Sheriff’s Officer Shoots, Kills Man In Burien Sunday Night”
  1. Friend says:

sad day

2. Carol Fiorini says:

Why didn’t they arrest him before he got in his car? I mean yes he should be arrest by killed know. When you have that many officers there they could of arrested him before he got in his car. Why didn’t they shoot the tires so he would have to stop. I noticed nothing was said that he had a gun so why was the officer feel threaten? This is really getting out of control with the police department all they have been doing is killing people and I don’t care how many bad things a person has done to be killed over. Please someone stop this madness. Our officers should not be out there if they can’t handle a problem with out killing someone.

• kdoss says:

Tony was family to me and nobody deserves to die, especially getting shot 6 times. There’s something wrong with this picture

• 206beezy says:

RIP TONY! you are missed and never will be forgotten no matter what all these crazy people on here say just becaise you were a felon and made the wrong choices doesnt mean you had to leave this earth! I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU MORE AND MORE everyday!

• concernedcitizen says:

That`s a great idea Carol, lets just take the cops off the streets and just go back to vigilantly justice. Because nowadays it seem they cant do anything right or wrong without being scrutinized so the next time someone rapes you or your daughter or breaks down your front door puts a gun in to the side of your head and demands your goods, and kills one of your kids just to make sure you know they are serious, DON`T call the cops, they just might have to kill the fuckhead and that just wouldn`t sit right with you now would it??
      Because they should have just called out every cop on the force, shot out his tires after fleeing your residence after doing who knows what. But don`t hurt him,,,, You think those kind of people give a shit about you????? Think again and get you head out of the sand. We need to support our police force, not chastise them at every given opportunity.

3. bignate says:

The report from the police indicates the young man was out of controll and a danger to himself and others, and needed to be stopped. I question the tactices of the arrest plan, but a investigation is needed. DID THE POLICE NEED TO USE DEADLY FORCE? Lets hear from some witnesses.

4. feraldog says:

From everything I have read and heard through the neighborhood, it was justified.
    Maybe if some of you bleedinghearts out there that don`t believe the cops should EVER have to use deadly force,, try strapping on a badge for a day or two and put yourself in their place,, You wouldn`t would you?
    In all honesty., I`m getting sick of tired of listening to all this crap anymore day in and day out, they didn`t have to kill him, they should have wounded him,,or they should have tasered him or bean bagged him or something.
    Maybe people need to pay more attention to them and when they say stop,,,,,, [email protected] stop
    You couldn`t pay me enough to do their job and the ones that do, don`t get paid enough.
    I`m sorry the guy got shot and killed but he was an escapee for starters, and who knew if he was armed? Myself,? I wouldn`t want to find out by taking a round.

• Sara says:

Well said!! I fully agree with your comments.
      I really wish people would understand that their actions have consequences. If you’re going to knowingly do wrong and live a lifestyle that is morally corrupt, then you have to expect that there’s a chance things may not end well.

• Eaton B. Verz says:

Go Dog ,Go!! Another tweaker off the streets! Probably a couple less car prowls or break ins in the neighborhood this week! Sad part is the perps family will probably try to sue the officer, causing him undo costs and heartache.

5. Hotrodgal says:

For those of you who are complaining about the officer’s actions; have any of you actually read the story?
    Lets take a look at the meager info provided here…
    Felony eluding (two cases in one week!!), the last of which took out three neighborhood cars while trying to escape.
    Between the two of them is a history of theft, possession of stolen property, drugs, breaking and entering, multiple felony convictions, one (at least) current felony arrest warrant… I’m sure this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I live and work just up the hill from where this occurred and get sick of people wanting to protect the rights of these slime. Maybe you should begin looking at the crime maps on the Burien website to get a better feel for the huge crime problem we have in this area.

Sorry, but I’m unsympathetic to the plight of the regions massive low life population.

6. Feraldog says:

Not to mention a chase reaching speeds of 100 MPH along residential streets, (which is why the cops broke off the chase) then happened to spot the vehicle in a parking lot. That`s one-zero-zero along residential streets, yep, the same streets your kids ride their bikes on, the same streets they walk to get to school, the same streets they skateboard on etc, ever seen what happens to a kid that gets hit at 100 miles and hour and do you really think they gave a shit or even a thought to that? NOPE. I got no sympathy for thieves or convicted felons to begin with and if I ever caught one in my house, one of us would die. That`s a promise. And I really doubt it would be me.

7. bignate says:

There must be someone out there who actually witnessed the shooting. All we have so far is the police report and some what I heard from the neighborhood. How many people were on the street at the time of the shooting. Come on stepup let us know.I want to here another side. If the police did it wrong lets hear it.If the young man was out of control lets hear that too.

8. Tae says:

Nobody deserves to die, but this punk has been breaking into cars around the neighbor hood, and putting our kids at risk to get hurt when he tries to run! I work for everything I got! And when some little punk that thinks it’s funny to steel peoples shit, he had it coming to him! Now we don’t got to pay tax money to put him back in jail! I have personly chased this ass [email protected] out of my neighborhood! And I’m glad I can sleep now that he’s not out trying to steel my shit! Another loser off the street!!!! And if your sad cause he got shot, then your a idiot! The police have every reson to shoot you when you don’t comply! If he would have just stopped his car and not smoked a bunch of meth he would still be alive! Parents need to raise there kids better! Quit making excuses for your children when they put other peoples lifes in danger!

9. terri says:

i live right down the street in this area…its terriable there is constant harrassment from pan handlers constant drug deals and prostitutes.. im glad the police are doing what they need to do!

10. 2TROUT says:

I’m fairly certain that no- one was ever injured in either of the alledged high speed chases in volving Anthony Ourada. In fact the only thing injured was the pride of a trigger happy deputy wound up on esspresso, energy drinks, addrenaline, and lets not forget EGO. Weather or not this was justified, can anyone tell me how many officer related shootings there where last month. What ever happened to the 19 year old Ravensdale man that was shot by King County Sheriff”s Deputies near Palmer-Kanasket State Park, or what about the guy who was getting his head kicked by a female Seattle Police Officer, for no appearant reason, while several other officers stood by and did nothing. How about the cop that was fired because of DWI. Not to mention while serving a warrant the KingCounty Sheriff Deputies detonated severeal percussion gernades , throwing them threw closed windows, when the windows right next to the closed ones were open, into a oxygen rich house that a 70 something year old grandmother . Nearly blowing her up let alone giving her a heart attack. The thing that amazes me is that all of you so called rightous people don’t even question authority. Although I’m sure it has alot to do with our upbringing, being taught to follow the direction of authority figures such as police and fire, laws and such, but mostly I think that we are just a bunch of lazy sheep being led to slaughter with no will to do whats right. so i say BAAAAAAAAAHBAAAAAAAAAH police acountability is not a bad thing, Just try to remember, have you ever been pulled over , asked the officer why he stopped you, with which he or she responded,”you have a lisence plate light out” But when you got home there were no light s out.

11. Hotrodgal says:

“…I think that we are just a bunch of lazy sheep being led to
    slaughter with no will to do what’s right…”

WHAT ??!!
    This comment shouldn’t even deserve a response but you are
    getting one anyway. To have someone question my pride in
    my local police is simply pushing it.

These guys work hard at a treacherous job where they are
    subjected to the worst public abuse imaginable. Considering
    this deputy has been with the force 14 years, I would look to
    him as a professional trying to keep our neighborhood safe
    Sure, out of tens of thousands of interactions the police are
    involved with, there have been some questionable incidents.
    Now, out of all those interactions, how many problems were
    there where suspects instigated many, many more questionable
    tragedies? Just because the media doesn’t grab the bit and run
    does not mean it doesn’t happen.

As you so eloquently put it…” I’m fairly certain…” that the
    officer in this case probably wasn’t wound up on espresso,
    energy drinks, etc… Adrenaline? Probably.
    Wouldn’t you get a bit hyped if you were facing a known
    criminal bashing his way through a police blockade?

I have been a Washington State driver for over 40 years
    and I have been stopped just a few times AND have
    NEVER been pulled over without just cause.

Just why exactly are you so miffed at the police?
    Thank your lucky stars this guy isn’t climbing in your
    window or selling crack to the teens next door or
    running over someones kid.

12. Feraldog says:

So fish,
    You seem to have no problem asking about this guy and that guy, fine that`s okay,
    but lets turn it around a touch here, what about Steve Cox, the cop who was shot in the head and killed doing his job?, What about the 4 Lakewood cops who were gunned down? What about the cop who was killed sitting in his car with his partner ? I could go on and on but I think this might give an idea to what they face every day on the job, and not just on occasion but every minute of it..Sure, there are cops who abuse their authority, but then there are teachers, ministers, you name it, in every field those people exist who abuse their authority.
    And who gives a shit if nobody was injured, that was just plain ole` dumb luck that there wasn`t. There VERY well could have been. Let me guess, you would just say something like well the cops shouldn`t have chased him,,
    But I`ll tell you what I think, I don`t think that cops pride was injured, he should feel proud about getting a scumbag off the street.

13. 2TROUT says:

IN YOUR FACE COPPERS ANTHONY OURADA JUNIOR WAS BORN YESTERDAY HA HA HA AHHA HAH

• Jennifer says:

Seriously, I hope the child is raised better but, it doesn’t look hopeful! Does this baby have a chance?
      You are ignorant about many things trout. Police and fire fighters risk their lives daily. I am tired of people making excuses for people who make choices that put others lifes in danger. My brother is firefighter and he has to wear a bulletproof vest to go on calls to help safe people…there is something wrong with that picture.
      But, you know that is whats great about living in US each of us can voice our opinions…even if your opinion stinks!

14. Feraldog says:

Trout is a troll, don`t feed the troll and he`ll take his spot back under the bridge.

15. Hotrodgal says:

As long as it doesn’t spawn, I’m OK with that. 🙂

16. Feraldog says:

I`m having trouble even picturing that scenario.*heh-heh*
    Can you just imagine, C`meeeerrrrre little bill goat.

17. Jessica says:

ALL YOU PEOPLE HAVE ISSUES SERIOUSLY….I WORK FOR MY MONEY TOO AND I WORK FOR THE THINGS THAT IVE GOT TOO BUT DO YOU EVER STOP TO THINK WHAT HE WENT THROUGH AS A CHILD? HE WAS BORN TO A DRUGGIE MOTHER HIS DAD I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE HE IS AT HIS MOM HAS MULTIPLE CHILDREN AND HASNT RAISED ONE!! HE WAS ADOPTED BY MY GMAS BROTHER HE WAS A GOOD KID UP UNTIL HIS STEP DAD AND STEP MOTHER DIVORCED THEN HIS STEP DAD IS THE ONE THAT LED HIM THE WAY HE IS….TONY DID NOT DESERVE A DAMN THING THAT THE DEPUTY DID TO HIM. HE IS THE WAY HE IS BECAUSE HIS STEP DAD DID IT TO HIM GOT HIM INTO THE DRUGS AND THE STEALING WELL HIS STEP DAD IS PAYNG FOR IT NOW LIVING WITH HIS MOTHER WITH NO MONEY NO HOUSE NO CAR HAVIN HIS EX WIFE PAY ALL HIS BILLS CUZ HE HAS NO MONEY COMIN IN AND HER NAME IS ON HALF OF IT!! DONT JUDGE A PERSON UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH!!!! MAYBE IF HE HAD A DAMN GOOD NORMAL EFFIN LIFE LIKE YOU SLEEZY GREEDY ASS PPL MAYBE HE MIGHT HAVENT BEEN A FELON!! BUT THROUGH IN OUT HE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A GOOD PERSON!! RIP TONY OURADA!! YOUR SPIRIT LIVES ON IN ANTHONY JR!!

18. Feraldog says:

A lot of us went through what he did Jess, you make what you are to be regardless of your circumstances. I was raised by an alcoholic who would rather drink than take me out fishing etc. yet I don`t drink, I smoke a little bud here and there and that`s my choice, not drafted by my surroundings or upbringing, but because I enjoy it. One thing I don`t do is make my living off of other people`s property that they worked their butt of to get. I know a thief who`s in prison now for a few more years but you know what, he too has a heart of gold, doesn`t mean I would trust him with my property. But at any rate, he had a great upbringing, came form a good family, got what he needed and a lot of what he wanted, so whats his excuse? He enjoys the high he gets from stealing. But he also knows the risks involved, Having known me his entire life, he he knows that I WILL shoot him or anybody else trying to make off with my property BEFORE I call the cops, he knows that if he gets caught, he takes his punishment like he is now, doesn`t put the public at risk by fleeing up side streets at 100 mph and then ramming everything sight trying to get away not giving a shit who`s in the way. But you know what?, He`s a good person, got a heart of gold.
    I would still shoot him if I caught him taking my stuff.

19. elizabeth2 says:

Jean Jacques Rousseau, a famous French philosopher, once said
    “Do not judge, and you will never be mistaken.”
    An important thing for all of us to remember.