An Update On Just When The Flip Ambaum Might Flippin’ Be Smooth Again

Are you as tired of driving on this flippin' rough road as we are?

Several BTB Readers, as well as Publisher/Editor Scott Schaefer, have been wondering ‘just when the flip is Ambaum Blvd. going to finally get flippin’ paved again?’

The poor B-Town Blogmobile has suffered from weeks of its construction, first with delays and detours, and now with stripped-to-the-roughest-parts-of-the-road concrete, causing many a bumpy, irritating ride that can’t be good for its cute little Mini Cooper suspension.

“It seems like for a while that construction crews were everywhere,” said Publisher/Editor Scott Schaefer to himself while writing this post. “Then all of a sudden, it’s as if they vanished, leaving behind a rotten, terrible roadway that should require a helmet to traverse even in a flippin’ horseless wagon!”

We checked the city’s website, which had nothing new – just this same old notice:

Road repair and grinding work in preparation for laying of asphalt is continuing on Ambaum Blvd. SW. During the nighttime work, traffic is being channeled and also detoured in some areas. No parking will be allowed on the street and driveway access may be temporarily affected during these times.  Use of alternate routes is recommended.

Asphalt laying will take begin on Ambaum when the grinding is complete and there is a sufficient break in the wet weather.

We then inquired directly with the flippin’ City of Burien, whose spokesperson Steve Botkin responded with this note:

The rainy weather in the past month delayed the asphalt laying on 128th, which had to be completed before they could start resurfacing Ambaum.

Now that 128th is done (including the permanent striping) the focus is on Ambaum where they have to finish the grinding and concrete work before they begin laying the asphalt.

The hope is to complete the grinding by the end of this week and begin laying asphalt as soon as next week , if the weather cooperates.

So, long story short – if the flippin’ weather improves, Ambaum Blvd. might flippin’ be as smooth as SW 128th is now:

Flip!

Comments

20 Responses to “An Update On Just When The Flip Ambaum Might Flippin’ Be Smooth Again”
  1. 206 says:

I’m sure the city is doing everything they can to get it fixed. Give them a break!

2. Courtney says:

Well that will be nice once they finally complete it. Crossing Ambaum at 148th feels like my teeth are going to get knocked out, I can only imagine the beating my suspension is taking.

3. Theresa says:

I’m glad it’s being fixed, but they could have given those of us who live near Ambaum a heads up that jackhammers would be going on all hours of the night. It starts around 10:00, and goes until about 5am. We’ve had to sleep with the fan on to drown out the noise. In the end, I know it will be worth it. We should feel lucky we’re getting any sort of improvements to this area since north Burien has long been ignored in the ‘beautification of Burien’ efforts.

4. Lisa B. says:

My husband will sure be happy when it’s finished.

5. Greg Fox says:

Feels just a bit different when it directly impacts you Scott?
    Maybe some of your editorials (or that of your staff) should use a bit more passion instead of the casual indifference that seems to be prevalant.
    Just a passing thought…

6. elizabeth2 says:

Given that this winter has beenthe coldest and certainly wettest in recorded history, or something lik that, I think it is very understandable that the city has not been able to pave.

We could push them to pave when it is wet, but I am sure we would pay for that in the end, so…..

Be patient, be understanding and focus on something a little more important that you CAN change for the good and go do it!

7. Liljo says:

So….What’s a ‘flip’?

8. Julie says:

In the meantime, you could try 4th ave.

9. Pete says:

Great Flippin Update!

Come on people, it’s an amusing update that brings to mind what most are thinking who use Ambaum frequently. “When’s this road gonna be blacktopped?”

Who else is doing the community service of pursuing answers from the city of Burien on topics like this when the cities’ own website doesn’t provide explanation for the delay.

Don’t change your writing style B-Town. It’s informative, entertaining and refreshingly candid.

10. Btowner says:

Is the delay costing the city any more money?

11. Feral dog says:

How do ya really feel Lynn?.*lol*

12. Erik says:

How about the big “FAIL” project on 1st Ave? !st ave at 160th looks like crap. Old utility poles still standing next to new ones and wires hanging everywhere. Whatever happened to the big dream/promise of burying the power and utility wires? At lease Normandy Park hired the right contractor to do their section. It looks nice and well thought out. And it was done in a timely manner.

13. Lisa B. says:

I don’t quite get why some are offended by this post. Having to drive on this rough road, with metal grates sticking out among other dangers, is not only a hazard but it is also very hard on cars. My family has only one car and we have already had a couple damaged tires from other Burien construction zones. It’s understandable but it shouldn’t continue for too long. The city should be keeping us informed and give us a rough timeline (I see it above) as to when they will finish, and people have every right to be frustrated. Anyway, the article is tongue in cheek – I for one think 128th looks beautiful and that the construction workers did a great job.

14. “Lynn” –

First off, thanks for taking the time to Comment on the blog. Despite it being critical of me personally, I believe in providing a forum for everyone to share their thoughts.

Secondly, I’d like to clarify some errors in your Comment:

1. “Peter” has nothing to do with the blog. I am not “Peter” nor is anyone else associated with this company, as far as I know.

2. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but may I just state for the record that I believe that we *do* produce Journalism. We abide by journalistic ethics, we’re staffed by seasoned Journalists, professional (and award-winning) Writers, Photographers and others who are paid for reporting. And we just found out that we’re going to win at least three awards at the Regional Society of Professional Journalists Awards Ceremony on May 21st. We’re also members of the SPJ and the Online News Association, and I am personally a member of both the Writers and Directors Guilds of America from my experience in TV.

3. I don’t like being called dishonest. I strive to be as honest and transparent as possible. Your claims that I am not offend me, but again, I don’t even know you, so for you to slander me like that is somewhat baffling. But heck, this is the internet so anyone can leave a Comment, no matter how wrong, right?

4. Yes, this story is “snarky” but how is it rude? As I emailed you directly, the tone of the story is based on actual comments I received from Readers, either via email or in person. It’s also based on my personal experience from driving my daughter to school every morning and having to endure the road conditions.

5. Sorry to tell you this bad news, but no matter how you try to “shame me,” I will *not* be changing my Writing style, nor this website, anytime soon. May I recommend that you no longer read this blog in the future if you find it too snarky, “rude” or full of “dishonest” non-journalism. There are plenty of options out there.

In closing, may I just add my own personal comment here – please try to lighten up. I can imagine that you (and Catherine, and Greg Fox?) were probably also offended by our April Fool’s edition as well where we poked fun at the city numerous times. Not everyone has a sense of humor, but I will not let the negativity and personal attacks of someone who doesn’t know me affect mine.

Sincerely,
    Scott Schaefer
    Founder/Publisher/Editor

15. Tonya says:

Lynn, do you see conspiracies everywhere? Oh wait, maybe I’m Scott too! Most people find his writing entertaining and a nice change of pace from the depressing or impersonal traditional news. If you don’t like it, don’t read it.

City of Burien (Steve Botkin), If you had to complete 128th before finishing Ambaum then why did you start it? Either have crews working both sites or finish your first project before starting another!

16. Erik says:

At least you don’t live West Seattle where all the roads are pretty much shiite!

17. Pete "Peter" P. says:

Hi Lynn,

Peter here. No, I’m not Scott. My last name’s Pumpkineater. Please don’t make fun of my name on the forum here. I’m going through some hard times. I just had to put my wife in a pumpkin shell. The good news is she’s keeping very well. I’m also learning how to better read and spell. So I got that going for me!

Sorry you don’t like the blog. I like it and have been recommending it to my Burien friends and neighbors.

18. Coverofnight says:

An entertaining and interesting comment, Lynn…..even more interesting though, are Scott’s comments, “…I believe in providing a forum for everyone to share their thoughts…” and “…But heck, this is the internet so anyone can leave a Comment, no matter how wrong, right?…” Some time ago, I commented on an article that included my unfavorable opinion about Bison Creek Pizza – and he wouldn’t publish it; he censored me!

Stay feisty, Lynn!