Highline Schools Foundation Gold Star Awards Event Raises $77,000!
Last Friday’s Highline Schools Foundation for Excellence Gold Star Awards Event (we were Sponsors) raised a grand total of $77,000, a $10,000 increase from the last two years!
“Thanks to everyone who gave, the Foundation can give more scholarships, support more teachers with classroom innovation, help more homeless students with their basic needs, and help more students participate in the arts and athletics,” said new Executive Director Ashley Fosberg.
Over 300 attended the breakfast and lunch events, which were oftentimes moving, inspiring and rewarding, especially to the Highline School District teachers and employees who were honored.
Next up for the Foundation will be the Burien Brat Trot 5K and 1 Mile Race on Sunday, October 9th, as well as the OCTOBERFEST Dinner/Auction at the Cove the following Saturday night, Octoer 15th.
“October will be a month of spirited giving to our schools and teachers in our area,” added Fosberg.
The 2011 Gold Star Winners were:
- Outstanding Administrator: Cherrie Smith, Highline School District
- Outstanding Classified Employee: Tom Manola, Puget Sound Skills Center
- Outstanding Teacher: Beverly Mowrer, New Start High School
- Outstanding Volunteer: Mike Borfitz, Aviation High School
- Outstanding Alumnus: Brad Tilden, Alaska Airlines