UPDATE: Exclusive Interview With Witness To Shooting Of Woman In Burien

An Banh witnessed Wednesday afternoon's shooting of a woman in Burien.

UPDATE 6/1/11 5 p.m.: BTB Reporter Mark Neuman was able to track down and interview an eye (or ‘ear’) witness to Wednesday’s shooting of a woman in her 20s who was shot by a man at the intersection of SW 136th and Ambaum Blvd. SW.

Local businessman An Banh heard the shooting just outside of his business, An’s Auto Care, located kitty-corner from where the shooting took place. He heard “about five shots” then ran to look, and saw a “skinny African American man” in his mid-20s to mid-30s running south on Ambaum for about a block. The man then cut to his right and ran westbound near an apartment complex and out of sight. An said the man wore light gray “sweats and jogging pants.”

Here’s Mark’s exclusive audio interview with An:

Mark Neuman interviews shooting witness An Banh 6/1/11.

As we reported earlier, the victim was shot while sitting in her car at that intersection. Seriously injured, she managed to drive herself to the recently re-opened 7-11/Shell gas station at SW 146th and First Ave South. Medics took her from there to Harborview Medical Center, where she was listed in serious condition.

Ambaum was closed off for a while between SW 142nd and SW 136th as police scoured the area searching for the shooter, according to Neuman. It re-opened in both directions as of 2:30 p.m. No word yet on an official description, or if the suspect has been found.

Neuman spoke with Burien Police Sgt. Henry McLauchlan at the scene, who told him that the suspect, a male, fired into the woman’s car, then fled. Some people may have caught ‘fleeting glimpses’ of the man as he left, according to McLauchlan.

It appears also that this is not a random shooting event.

Here are some new photos taken by Neuman at the crime scene:

PREVIOUSLY:

UPDATE 2;20 p.m. 6/1/11: A woman in her 20s, apparently driving a gray Ford car, was shot in the chest near the intersection of SW 136th and Ambaum Blvd. SW in Burien Wednesday afternoon at around 12:20 p.m.

Seriously injured, the victim managed to drive herself to the recently re-opened 7-11/Shell gas station at SW 146th and First Ave South. Medics took her from there to Harborview Medical Center.

Ambaum was closed off for a while between SW 142nd and SW 136th as police scoured the area searching for the shooter, according to BTB Reporter Mark Neuman. It apparently re-opened in both directions as of 2:30 p.m. No word yet on a description, or if the suspect has been found.

It appears also that this is not a random shooting event.

Deputies and Burien Police are apparently still searching for the suspect in the area where the shooting occurred.

Neuman also took the following photos at the scene around 1:30 p.m. as police investigated:

The recently remodeled 7-11 on First Ave South at SW 146th is now taped off as a crime scene.

This late 1990s Ford is apparently the vehicle in which the woman, already shot in the chest, drove herself to the 7-11 Wednesday around 12:20 p.m.

PREVIOUSLY:

The King County Sheriff’s Office is reporting that a woman has been found, shot in the chest, in┬áBurien Wednesday afternoon (June 1) at the Shell gas station on First Ave South and SW 146th.

Reports are that the victim was rushed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Her condition is unknown at this time.

The shooting occurred around 12:15 p.m., near the intersection of SW 136th and Ambaum Bvld. SW, according to police.

Choppers are hovering over the area, police have been seen with big rifles and K-9s, and it’s not yet known if there is a shooter at large, or the circumstances behind the shooting.

Mark Neuman called from the scene, and told us that Ambaum is closed northbound from around 142nd Ave SW.

As we get more information, we’ll update this post, so stay tuned.

Comments

16 Responses to “UPDATE: Exclusive Interview With Witness To Shooting Of Woman In Burien”
  1. Erik Robbins says:

Thats more than a “few blocks” to drive.

2. Not So Sure... says:

I witnessed this event and was the car directly behind this woman when the man ran up to her car and shot into it five or six times. I hope she is going to survive.

3. Lisa B. says:

So she was shot while driving down Ambaum? WTH…hope they catch whoever did it soon!!

4. Not So Sure... says:

Yes I called immediately gave a description and told him where he had entered into the “The Heights” apartments on foot. There were people 15 feet away at the bus stop, people in that shopping area and other drivers, so I am sure the police received many reports and have a very good description of him. I really hope she pulls through.

5. mary says:

will like we all now by now the hieghts at burien apartments its a bad place to live it has happen a couple of times already that i now its been 3 shootings and a drug bust that i now about. why does it all happen at the apartments?????

6. john b parker says:

Because it’s the hood

7. JoeRant says:

Must have had too many banana gorillas at the Wah Long Palace.

8. Beerrun says:

Joe,

Sorry if I’m jumping to conclusions, but please explain what you mean by banana gorillas? I’m hoping against hope it’s not what would seem obvious in 2011.

Mary, Why does this all happen at the apartments? Does this seem like the type of thing that would happen in a neighborhood of houses, particularly where it’s owner occupied? Apartments are supposed to be temporary for people saving to buy a home. There is no pride in ownership, obviously and the poverty rate in apartment complexes is baselined there.

The young lady who was shot is family to me. While we are not close, I do care for her and about her. As far as I recollect, she is absolutely one of the sweetest ladies around and certainly did not deserve this. I had NO idea she was living in such a god awful area. I would NEVER allow my adult children to live in that area. I would do whatever I had to do to make sure they were not living around that element.

She is in good condition and will make it. She was extraordinarily lucky. This should be a wake up call for everyone.

I hope the police catch the man responsible soon. Had he had a larger caliber weapon, she would be dead and he would be facing murder charges. I bet if he do 2 years, the community should feel lucky. There seems to be no consequence for open firing on a vehicle, so why not? Good luck in court bastard!

• Erik Robbins says:

Beerrun – I hope she will recover quickly. The “Banana Gorillas” comment is a over the top/lots of alcohol drink they sell at the Wah Long Sports Bar. Wah Long has been the home in the past few months to a couple of shootings and stabbings. So I think that is where the comment was coming from.

• Beerrun says:

Whew, I’m relieved to hear that. I haven’t eaten at Wah Long in years. I’m glad I asked and didn’t assume. ;-)

• miss.elizabeth says:

who is this?

9. just another opinion says:

I just dont understand why when someone shoots at a police officer they will shut I-5 down for hours while they search the are untill the person or persons are found. it did not seem that way in this case i know that more than twenty people saw the description of the shooter and i know of one person that was trying to wave to police where the man ran to but no one paid attention…I hope that the victim knows who the shooter was and can get him put away we do no need people like this in the world

10. big Nate says:

john b parker and joeRant

Happy to read your comments.

11. miss.elizabeth says:

well coming from the “lady” that got shot. no i didn’t know this person. and also i was NOT living in this place however i was helping someone move. i would never subject myself to live in a place like that. i do however thank everyone that gave any type of description of the man who shot me. although he still has not been found and unfortunately probably wont.