REMINDER: Fireworks Illegal In The City Of Burien, But Not Normandy Park

Fireworks are illegal within Burien city limits, so even if you’re ‘safe and sane’ and only setting off a Sparkler or one of those classic old ‘Snakes,’ that spew a strange mix of surely-toxic yet cool-looking chemicals, you’re still breaking the law buddy, so get to know the rules:

“We would like to remind residents that possession, storage, sale, handling, and use of fireworks are prohibited within the city limits of Burien,” reads a statement from the city. “As the 4th of July holiday weekend approaches, local fire departments urge families to enjoy fireworks the safer way by attending locally sanctioned fireworks shows presented by professionals who adhere to safety codes. Anyone caught with fireworks within the city limits will be issued a citation, and the fireworks they have in their possession will be confiscated.”

However, fireworks are legal in Normandy Park, so head on up First Ave South to the stand at the QFC; just be sure to set ’em off before returning to B-Town.

NP does have some rules though:

• Fireworks may be discharged only during the times below:
    • June 28: Between noon and 11pm
    • June 29 through July 3rd: Between 9am and 11pm
    • July 4: Between 9am and Midnight
    • July 5th: Between 9am and 11pm
  • Fireworks may be sold June 28 at noon through July 4 at 9 pm.
  • No one under the age of 16 years may possess or discharge any fireworks unless directly supervised by a responsible adult.
  • Discharge of fireworks is not allowed on City property including parks and parking lots.
  • Discharge of fireworks on someone else’s property without the owner’s permission is not allowed.
  • Always have a water bucket present, never relight “duds,” and never alter fireworks.

Discharge only legal fireworks (listed below):

• Sparkler
  • Cylindrical Fountain
  • Cone Fountain
  • Illuminating Torch
  • Wheel Ground Spinner
  • Flitter Sparkler
  • Mine/Shell Smoke Device
  • Helicopter Aerial Spinner
  • Roman Candle

Legal only on tribal land:

• Firecrackers, bottle rockets, missiles and rockets

Illegal everywhere:

• M-80’s and larger, dynamite and any improvised, homemade or altered explosive devices such as tennis balls or cherry bombs, firecrackers, salutes

For more info, contact the Normandy Park Police Department:

801 SW 174th Street
Normandy Park, WA 98166
206-248-7600

As for unincorporated King County:

• Fireworks may be discharged only on July 4 from 9 a.m. to midnight.
  • Fireworks sales are legal beginning at Noon on June 28 until 11 p.m. and then daily between the hours of 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. through July 4. No sales can occur after July 4.
  • To purchase fireworks you must be at least 16 years of age with picture identification.

Comments

20 Responses to “REMINDER: Fireworks Illegal In The City Of Burien, But Not Normandy Park”
  1. K says:

It still amazes everyone that I know, that all the surounding cities ban fireworks, but Normandy Park still allowes them!!!
    I guess it will take a few fireworks fires (roof, trees, etc…) or hopefully noise complaints, to get the city to change its ordinances.
    All of us (and our dogs) living around the Normandy Park area, are really getting tired of the noise, smell, etc, from the fireworks that people can easily buy in Normandy Park !!!!!

2. napavine says:

Having fun prohibited. Come on Burien. How are boys going to get cat like reflexes and scars without fireworks. The reason we have so many fingers, FIREWORKS. What fun is the night shift at Highline going to be with a fireworks ban. The firemen are getting paid Holiday wages on July 4th, let them work for it. Please B-Towners set off lots of fireworks, make lots of noise and have fun. Keep the law busy and away from my house. Happy Independence Day.

• Jennifer says:

I can assure that that the Burien Firefighters are very busy on the 4th of July. My brother is one of them. In fact you should know that Burien is actually one of the bussiest stations outside of the city of Seattle. So they definitly earn their income. I encourage people to please be responsible and safe on the 4th!

• Burienite says:

Nice try, but I’m fairly certain the firefighters DON’T get holiday pay when they work the 4th.

3. Rainycity says:

Another stick in the mud huh K.
    Amazing how quickly people forget what it was like to be a kid.
    Once a year. sheesh.
    Maybe you should move. I`m so tired of folks like you. What was fun for you can`t be fun for the next generation?

• K says:

Yes I do remember when I was a kid and what it was like, and fireworks were not outlawed in our community!!
      My comment was a reflection of how the neighborhoods have changed, and that Normandy Park still allows fireworks, but every community/city around it does not.
      So with that in mind, yes the polcie and fire dept. are all very busy trying to enforce the local laws since fireworks are so available to the public, and you don’t need to go to the reservation to buy them !!!

4. kaleb says:

It would be one thing if people used fireworks on 4th of July only. That’s not what happens. They start lighting the M80’s off two weeks before the 4th and weeks afterwards. On the 4th it goes until about 3am. I’m all for having fun. Fireworks can be fun and a great way to celebrate. But people get so stupid about it. If you call the police they aren’t going to do anything so what is the point of notifying people that’s it’s illegal. It’s not about being a stick in the mud. It’s about dealing with idiots.

• Shari says:

Hey, Scott…. maybe it’s time for a poll and you could invite Kaleb to write the question and response choices. (The M80s are already going off in my neighborhood and I”m stocking up on pet sedatives, as usual).

5. CoverOfLight says:

If folks want to burn down their own homes or damage themselves, well, whatever. That’s what Darwin awards are for.

However, launching flaming objects into the air with no regard for where they might land or what damage they might cause is the very definition of irresponsible. If some folks are not capable of coming to that conclusion on their own, then that’s their explanation as to why fireworks have been declared illegal.

Let’s see some enforcement, please. It’s time for the city to demonstrate that our tax dollars are paying for more than just reactionary policing.

6. nartweag says:

My husband and I have started staying home on fourth of July and New Years just to make sure our neighbors don’t burn our house down (in Burien).
    How is that fun for everyone?
    I am getting really tired of cleaning up dead firework bits off my roof, deck and yard after these holidays. I don’t see them as fun at all. Maybe if they were shot off over a lake or the sound, but in a neighborhood?

Frankly I would love to know my neighbors are getting cited/fined each holiday. But I also think the fine should go up and up each time, otherwise they would just see it as part of the cost of the parties they throw.

When I was a kid we never did our own fireworks, we went and saw the professional shows. I didn’t know anyone who did their own fireworks. But the again I grew up in southern California during drought years, so even the profession ones caused fires.

• Dlk says:

No disrespect but it sounds to me like you need to get a life. I can imagine you waiting to have any reason to call the law. Wet down your roof and property and enjoy the show. Maybe hold your husbands hand on the porch with a cup of coffee and thank the lord your able to do that. Loosen up and enjoy its only once a year.
      I understand being worried and pissed off but seriously life is to short.
      Happy fourth to you. Try and take my advise.

7. Lisa B. says:

Those signs would work if people like some of my neighbors could actually read. The city needs to co-opt the real estate “talking signs” apparently, because year after year my neighbors are blowing stuff up until 4am for several days before and after, and year after year I’m hosing the house down and calling the cops. And no, I’m not a stick in the mud. Is one a stick in the mud if they don’t want to be awakened by loud noises? I think not.

8. Dlk says:

I think we are all missing the point here. The city will have areas for us all to go to with their rules. Rounded up like cattle. Everything is illegal now. Are we still able to breath without being taxed or illegal. Just wondering.
    The 4th is INDEPENDENCE DAY. Our four fathers would roll over in their graves. Every other country is able and proud to celebrate when it’s time. We are ALLOWED TO WITH STIPULATIONS.
    The kids are who really suffer here. What memories will our kids have to share and or uphold if we have none to make. What’s next. Stay tuned.
    Happy Independence day. You will see safe fireworks from my place. Come and get me.

• Keith says:

Whoever said that blowing stuff up, risking others lives and property is required to celebrate our nations birth?

Please, tell me where you live. I will gladly come and watch your fireworks and laugh greatly when I call the police on your arrogant ass.

• Dlk says:

Arrogance and good safe family fun are way different Mr. Poopy pants.
        Have a seat and let the rest of us enjoy our freedom. In my day we called people like you whiney baby tattle tells. Oh wait that hasn’t changed it’s still called the same thing.
        Happy fourth Mr. Grumpy pants. Better have the phone by you there might be some fireworks tonite I’m told.

9. Hotrodgal says:

Please everyone…don’t call the fire and police departments out just because your neighbor’s noise annoys you.
    If you do make them come out, remember to tell the folks who just got hurt in a
    car wreck or the guy having a heart attack that someone will get to them July 5th.

I too don’t like the noise but please don’t over tax our emergency personel
    with non-emergencies.

• Tonya says:

So who are we supposed to call for illegal activity if not the police or fire department if it involves fire? It’s not just ‘noise’ it’s explosives. Many times pointed at passing cars or people by reckless morons, irresponsible drunks, or ignorant kids. Our property is being damaged, our pets terrorized, my children cannot even sleep this week because of the KABOOMS that keep going on till the wee hours of the morning. And yet, there is no response because because it is not ‘real crime’ or an ’emergency.’

• Dlk says:

Call Phoenix Jones. The cops seem to let him run the city. His response time I hear is days quicker and he comes for all kinds of calls.

10. jimmy says:

dam i just spilled some milk is this where i post my complaint it seems to fit in with the comments