UPDATE: Tuesday Fire Displaces Six; Red Cross Providing Assistance
UPDATE 7/12/11 1:30 p.m.: We just received word that six people have been displaced by a residential fire, which occurred at 13049 First Ave South on Tuesday afternoon around Noon (we first learned of it thanks to BTB Reader Desiree Gonzalez).
“The Red Cross will be providing assistance which could include shelter, food, clothing and other immediate needs,” according to an email from Katherine Boury, Seattle Red Cross Media Relations Officer.
“It was a minor fire caused by bedding and mattress against a baseboard heater,” said Doug Luedeman of the Burien/Normandy Park Fire Department. “The fire was contained in the bedroom and quickly extinguished by the fire department. There were no working smoke detectors in the home at the time. There was nobody home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries to fire personnel.”
“On average, the American Red Cross Serving King & Kitsap Counties responds to an emergency like this every other day. All Red Cross assistance is free. For more information about the Red Cross please go to www.seattleredcross.org.”
PREVIOUSLY: We encourage all our Readers to participate in our community news gathering efforts (you can email us tips & photos here), and here’s an example of one such submission from BTB Reader Desiree Gonzalez – a photo of a residential fire in a complex just north of SW 132nd and First Ave South in Burien at around Noon on Tuesday, July 12th:
We’ve inquired about this incident with the Burien/Normandy Park Fire Department, and once we gather more info, we’ll update this post.
If you happen upon something newsworthy in the Burien area, please take a photo and email it to us: [email protected].
Please include your name, location of the event and any other info you can find, and pending review, we’ll likely post it.