HELP NEEDED: Here’s How YOU Can Help Lighthouse Apartment Fire Victims
On Sunday, July 24th, the Union Gospel Mission’s Lighthouse Apartment building, located at 9820 Des Moines Memorial Way, burned down in a huge three-alarm fire, leaving 41 low-income residents homeless.
Everyone was able to get out, but two people were sent to Harborview Medical Center with injuries. Both are said to be recovering well.
“We lost everything…” said one former resident.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP
We’ve done this a couple times before (read about our fundraising for the victims of the 2008 Tara Apartment fire here, and the Buckley Family here), and we’d like to ask our Readers to do what they can to help these poor folks, many of whom have lost everything.
According to the Union Gospel Mission website, of the 41 displaced residents who watched all of their belongings go up in flames, only one had renters insurance. Most didn’t have car insurance beyond liability – 9 cars were damaged and 5 completely destroyed.
These people no longer have transportation to commute to their jobs.
Also, Becci Surgz Harrison is pitching in – here’s a message she sent us through Facebook:
I just feel it necessary to try to help if I can I am coordinating donations.
Here is a list of immediate needs but obviously they need much more:
- Tube Socks
- Household items
- Non-perishable food
- Mattresses/box springs (twin, full, queen): gently used, no rips or stains
- Gift cards (grocery, Target, Fred Meyer, shoe stores)
- Razors & shaving cream
- Bottled water (individual size)
- Men’s clothing (jeans and khakis particularly needed)
- Full size toiletry items
- Bath linens
Please email me [email protected] for more info.
Here are other ways to help:
- Shelter. Everyone was set up with emergency shelter just hours after the blaze started, but more permanent housing is needed. Please contact Gary if you can help provide shelter for displaced residents.
- Donate Now. Funds raised will help those impacted by the fire.
- Gift Cards for Target, Fred Meyer, grocery and shoe stores. Mail to:
- P.O. Box 202
Attention: “Lighthouse Apartment Fire”
- Gifts in Kind. Drop-off clothing, house wares, toiletries, etc. See complete list of needs or contact Linda at 206.723.0767 x405.
To learn more, please contact Gary at 206.723.0767 x441.