King County Council District 8 Candidates Exchange Views at B-Town Blog Forum

By Ralph Nichols

The three candidates for King County Council from District 8, which includes Burien and White Center, faced off in a forum sponsored by BTB Tuesday evening (Aug 2).

Next up for Joe McDermott, the current councilman from District 8, Diana Toledo and Goodspaceguy is the Aug. 16 primary election.

It is an all mail-in election. Ballots have been mailed to registered voters, and must be postmarked no later than Aug. 16.

McDermott, a former state senator, was elected last fall to fill the remaining year of the unexpired term of former King County Councilman Dow Constantine.

Constantine resigned as councilman when he became King County Executive in last 2009. Toledo and McDermott ran for the vacant seat last year, and now are in a rerun of that contest.

The candidates’ responses to questions asked during the forum appear below. Their answers are grouped together, candidate by candidate, in alphabetical order, and some answers are paraphrased for accuracy.

Goodspaceguy

Goodspaceguy

Should King County Councilmembers, who make well over $100,000 a year, give back their cost-of-living allowances?

The reason there is so much unemployment is the average wage is so high. If one highly paid person is laid off, 10 lower-wage people could be hired. This would bring down the average wage.

How would you work with suburban cities as well as Seattle?

We need to think of ourselves as passengers on Spaceship Earth. By increasing our knowledge of economics we can increase our standard of living.

Is there any real value in keeping Metro Transit if it can’t provide a service people can use?

“I like Metro a lot better than Sound Transit … bus service is needed.” But instead of cutting service by 17 percent, “cut compensation by 17 percent or 18 percent or whatever it costs to make it profitable.”

Joe and his challengers rate his performance as King County Councilman:

“I would really hope for a lot more from Joe … but a ‘sunshine type’ of person doesn’t create jobs.” He doesn’t understand economics and supports the minimum wage.

Should there be special criteria to determine which King County social services are smart economic investments and yield a return?

“We are fortunate to be in King County and not in Seattle” where services like city library hours are being cut. “I would bring in ‘helpers’ for all government functions to employ more people.”

Should county arts funding for 4Culture program be dissolved?

“I sort of agree … in a competitive free market that works for you, the consumer, I want for-profit entertainment and culture.”

Joe McDermott

Joe McDermott

“I returned by COLA this year as a number of my colleagues have done.” This is important because hundreds of jobs in King County government have been saved because 90 percent of county employees agreed wage and benefit reductions.

How would you work with suburban cities as well as Seattle?

“I have been getting around [the 8th District] to build relationships with the cities.” This includes securing funding for the new South Park Bridge and making sure the county council held a public hearing in Burien on Metro Transit service.

“Metro bus service is a public good. Yes, there’s a place for Metro Transit.” Already over 100 Metro Transit positions have been eliminated, resulting in $143 million in savings over two years, and fares have bone up by 80 percent. “I support the $20 license tab fee” to close the remaining financial gap and avoid service cuts that would affect 80 percent of riders over the next two years.

Joe and his challengers rate his performance as King County Councilman:

“I am proud of my work in just over eight months [on the county council] … I’m crafting solutions to problems that maybe you didn’t think of yourself.” Deflecting criticism that the $20 license tab fee is a regressive tax, “unfortunately it is the only solution the Legislature gave us.” Support for economic development includes the North Lot project that will bring up to 2,700 construction jobs and generate more than $700 million in economic activity” in District 8.

[Note: Recently the county council approved the “North Lot” project near Century Link Field, which will include housing, offices and a hotel in Pioneer Square area.]

We need to make sure we serve the people who have the needs and reach people across the county. We need to build oversight into our social programs.

Should county arts funding for 4Culture program be dissolved?

Investments in the arts are very important. 4Culture supports arts in communities around the county and “not just downtown elitist” arts programs. Funneling 4Culture money into the schools is a “misguided effort.”

Diana Toledo

Diana Toledo

“Joe and I agree but I don’t think it should go back to the general fund. It should go to programs for people who need it … if elected I will donate a large part of my salary” to these programs.

How would you work with suburban cities as well as Seattle?

Having worked on licensing with 15 contract cities while employed by King County, “I would want to work closely with the suburban cities … I have heard from other bureaucrats that I was a ‘breath of fresh air’ … because I actually listened” and built strong relationships.

“Metro Transit is a critical element … we have to provide a service. But we can do better than in the past decade … I know there is lots of waste.” We need to make Metro run more efficiently through better management, not with scare tactics. We need to implement Metro audit recommendations like cutting empty buses, not by cutting routes that are needed.

Joe and his challengers rate his performance as King County Councilman:

“Basically Joe says the same thing and takes credit for other people’s hard work,” including funding for the South Park Bridge and the Maury Island county park. “His support of the $20 temporary tax [for bus service] is laughable … and a regressive tax on the poor.”

Budget priorities are set by the county council and basically we need to stick to those priorities. “We need to cut management to keep what’s needed in our communities for the most needy. This includes giving top priority to public health and health education.

Should county arts funding for 4Culture program be dissolved?

In an economic downturn, we need to look at every single dollar. Many artists complain that arts funding goes to overhead and to artists with connections to directors of arts programs, “while ‘starving artists’ don’t get funded.” But “I support the arts. I love the arts.”

Audio Recording

This is the audio recording from the candidates forum. Some introductory material has been removed for time and portions of the audio have been made louder to aid in listening due to issues with the sound system at the venue. No other content edits have been made.

[display_podcast]

Comments

10 Responses to “King County Council District 8 Candidates Exchange Views at B-Town Blog Forum”
  1. BTowner says:

There are video clips of the B-Town Forum on Youtube. See first hand why we’re voting for Diana Toledo!

Saving Small Businesses-

Closing Statments-

Routing funding from 4Culture Offices into Public School Arts programs-

2. Matt says:

Toledo is bureaucrat who has a few ideas but clearly lacks a firm grasp of how government actually works. You can bet that the links in the above comment are directly from her campaign as well. Somebody from Diana’s campaign, likely her brother David, has been waging an astroturf campaign in comments on this blog and elsewhere (links to follow) based on distortion and misinformation.

Her 4Culture talking points are laughably absurd and demonstrably false, but she just keeps repeating them. If Diana Toledo is so concerned about 4Culture and its alleged inefficiency, where was she this spring when the state legislature was debating whether to extend 4Culture’s expiring funding? Why wasn’t she testifying in Olympia, where she might have actually made a difference? Where were these “many” artists who have supposedly contacted her, and why weren’t any of them making noise about this alleged corruption? They were nowhere to be found. Probably because they don’t actually exist. Or perhaps they’re just as reality-challenged as the candidate.

Instead, the very week the actual arts community (1,000+ people who actually do exist) gathered at the Paramount to celebrate the successful grassroots push to save 4Culture, Toledo sent a lame letter to the county executive calling for him to dissolve it and redirect that money to the schools, apparently blithely ignorant to the reality that neither the executive nor the council even has the legal authority to do so. It’s a lazy and cynical political maneuver to stir up some sort of culture war against imaginary “elites”. As if there aren’t enough real problems to worry about.

White Center Blog: http://bit.ly/ktodz4
    B-Town Blog: http://bit.ly/nghyPU
    The Stranger: http://bit.ly/iNF3AD

3. BTowner says:

Matt is a well known McDermott plant (ps- He’s also a Seattle Arts Commissioner using an alias, afraid he’ll lose his “consultant” funding).

It doesn’t matter who posted the videos from the forum, they speak for themselves. Diana Toledo is the most intelligent, experienced, and qualified candidate…

Watch this video and you’ll agree, Diana Toledo is the only one fighting for us!

• Matt says:

David, I presume? Matt is in fact my real name, not an alias. I live in King County and I vote but I am not associated with the McDermott campaign or any other. I am not a “Seattle Arts Commissioner”, whatever that is. I do not work for 4Culture, nor have I ever received any funding from 4Culture. I don’t consider myself an artist, but I am a part of the arts community, and I am proud to say that I fought alongside hundreds of others to save 4Culture this year. My only motivation is to protect that hard-earned victory from this kind of misinformation.

I post all my comments under my own name. Can you say the same? Are you willing to acknowledge which of the comments on these blog posts are directly from the campaign? Or are you just going to keep anonymously spreading falsehoods?

• BTowner says:

Lol! Come on “Matt” – readers aren’t going to fall for it. You’re doing everything you can to keep voters from watching any videos from the debates/forums and/or listening to the audio. Your misdirection won’t work. It’s obvious that “thou dost protest too much”.

You are using Nazi tactics of misdirection and accusing others of what you are engaged in. You attacked my post out of the blue. All I did was post some videos of the forum in order to educate voters.

Avid readers of local blogs know who you are. Now you’re being decietful in saying you’re not on the Arts Commission. Shame on you and your puppetmaster! Lies and Deceit!

• Matt says:

All I did to “attack” your post was to say that it likely came from the Toledo campaign. Is that not the truth? Are you not David Toledo? Do you have anything to say about the facts or are you going to make it personal? I invited you to identify yourself and to acknowledge which of the comments on other posts are yours. I don’t care whether people watch your videos or not, but I do care that the misinformation being put forth by your campaign is countered.

I will say again, Matt is my real name and I have no idea where you’re coming up with this arts commissioner nonsense. Anyway, anybody who takes ten seconds to Google the Seattle Arts Commission, (as I just did,) can tell you that Seattle Arts Commissioners are VOLUNTEERS. http://www.seattle.gov/arts/aboutus/commission.asp

As for this Nazi business, well… you ought to be ashamed of yourself. That is completely uncalled for in this context and setting. Intelligent people don’t resort to that in respectful discourse. Is that the kind of campaign you run? Is that the kind of person you are? Grow up.

• BTowner says:

“Matt”, is that the McDermott hatchet-man plan? To now start attacking Diana Toledo’s family? This will be my last response as it is obvious you are trying to draw attention away from the facts with your little side-show. You are part of the Arts Commission, and you know darn well that although you hold a volunteer position you are milking the system with your “consultant” side-job. I hope McDermott is paying you well as he has obviously bought your integrity.

• Matt says:

Where’s the attack? All I’m asking is whether you are or are not David Toledo, a representative of the campaign. All I’m asking is for you to be up front about who you are. Your delusional theories that I’m a part of somebody’s campaign or the city’s commission are complete fabrications. You can’t produce a shred of evidence to support those allegations because they are lies. I have genuine disagreements with your positions but you can’t rebut them with anything resembling a fact because you have none. You have a lot of nerve, trotting out the Nazi comparison and then accusing me of having no integrity. (Godwin’s Law. Look it up.) That’s pathetic and amateur, whoever you are.

4. Alkiak says:

Thank you B-Towner for the video links. I watched them and I like what I see. Toledo has my vote!

5. GSG says: