City Seeking Economic Development Manager Following Dick Loman’s Retirement
The City of Burien is seeking to hire a “new, top-notch Economic Development Manager,” following Dick Loman’s retirement.
Pay is $6,798 – $8,263 per month depending on experience, with a “first review” of applicants scheduled for Aug. 30th.
According to the job application (download PDF file here) this position’s responsibilities include:
Plans, organizes and directs activities to enhance economic development in Burien. The Manager is responsible for the development, recommendation and implementation of policies, programs and procedures that accomplish the City Council’s goals and objectives to ensure the economic health and vitality of the City.
- Supports and models the identified vision, values and behaviors of the organization.
- Develops and implements short- and long-term economic development strategies, public/private partnerships for development, and business assistance programs for existing and prospective businesses. Recommends adjustments to programs, activities, policies and procedures to further economic development goals.
- Develops and implements a business recruitment and retention campaign and marketing strategy.
- Serves as a “broker” in recruiting and assisting businesses interested in locating in Burien to identify suitable properties for their enterprises.
- Negotiates the acquisition/disposition or lease of properties needed for economic development projects.
- Meets with affected property owners in potential economic development areas to assess and coordinate the City’s economic development efforts.
- Participates in special business community events to promote business development and vitality.
- Serves as the City liaison to the business community, chamber of commerce, economic development planning advisory boards, economic development agencies, and governmental agencies in furthering the City’s economic development policies. Presents proposed programs and projects to business community groups, agencies and the City Council.
- Prepares, administers, and monitors division budget. Oversees and monitors contracts related to Economic Development.
- Prepares and analyzes technical and administrative reports and documents.
- Researches, analyzes and reports on economic and market trends.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with the business community, advisory groups, other governmental agencies, citizen groups and citizens.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
“Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of education and work experience,” reads the app. “Highly qualified candidates may be invited to participate in interviews. Candidates may be asked to respond to supplemental questions in writing and may be asked to supply illustrative examples of work. A test may also be administered to assess relevant skills. Additional references may be requested of finalists.”
Applications are available online here. Candidates must submit a City of Burien employment application form, resume and cover letter online or to City of Burien, Attn: Human Resources, 400 SW 152nd Street, Suite 300, Burien, WA 98166. If you need special accommodation in the application or examination process, please contact Human Resources at (206) 248-5504.