B-TOWN BIZ: Prepare To Stretch & Sweat Burien – Bikram Yoga Is About To Open
If you’ve ever fantasized about stretching and sweating with your hot B-Town neighbors, you’re in luck – new business Bikram Yoga Burien will be opening at 636 SW 152nd soon, possibly as early as this coming Thursday, Sept. 8th.
This new biz has taken over (and completely remodeled) the space formerly occupied by the Sylvan Learning Center in downtown Burien.
If you don’t know what Bikram Yoga is, here’s a video explanation:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEzznV7LlyA
And more info:
- It’s HOT Yoga, where the room temp is set at 105 degrees, with 40% humidity. According to the business’ website, there are several reasons for the heat:
- This heat is helpful in allowing the body to go deeper into postures safely, minimizing risk of injury by increasing elasticity of the muscles, ligaments and tendons, allowing greater flexibility with a lower risk of injury.
- The heat also facilitates sweating, detoxifying through the pores and skin – the body’s largest eliminating organ.
- Heat increases cardiovascular workout.
- The intensity of the heat deepens the need for concentration and focus, strengthening willpower and self-control.
- A typical 90-minute class burns between 650 – 1200 calories, depending on your weight and fitness level.
- There are 26 Postures and two Breathing Exercises used in Bikram Yoga.
- You don’t have to be a Yoga expert to take classes – just be sure to drink plenty of water though!
The ‘Bikram’ in Bikram Yoga refers to founder Bikram Choudhury, who, according to the company’s website:
Born in Calcutta in 1946, Bikram Choudhury is the founder of the Yoga College of India and creator of his unique sequence of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises known as Bikram Yoga. Bikram began practicing yoga at the age of four under the tutelage of India’s most renowned physical culturist of the time, Bishnu Gosh (younger brother of Paramahansa Yogananda, author of Autobiography of a Yogi, founder of the self-Realization Fellowship, and the yogi recognized with first bringing yoga to the West).
Practicing yoga four to six hours a day under Bishnu Gosh’s guidance, Bikram became National Yoga Champion of India at the age of thirteen, “retiring” from yoga competition three years later as the undefeated four time All-India Yoga Champion.
One thing that will set this yoga shop apart from others is that they’ve installed brand new showers for both men (4) and women (6) – and we think a lot of their hot, sweaty customers will appreciate this.
“We hope to open as early as this coming Thursday (Sept. 8),” said Co-Owner Nina Granatir. “We get inspected on Tuesday.”
Scott Schaefer was out and about (and not sweating…yet), and he stopped by to take these pics:
To learn more about Bikram Yoga Burien, check out their website here: http://bikramburien.com, or call (206) 992-4341.