Longtime Burien Business Danish Bakery Sold, New Owners Take Over Oct. 15

As we first reported in late July, longtime Burien business the Danish Bakery was put up for sale recently, and according to Owner Lola Pitzner, it’s been sold.

The new owners will take over Oct. 15, and residents can expect some sort of “going away party” for the current iteration in early October. Lola said Thursday (Sept. 8th) that the new owners will keep it as a bakery, although not necessarily a Danish one.

Lola added that upon retirement, she will spend more time traveling.

“This has been a good business for us,” she said. “We were able to live a good life in a nice home, but now it’s time to retire.”

The Danish Bakery was opened in Burien in about 1930 by a Danish baker named Oskar Christensen. Christensen sold it in 1944 to Willy Andersen, another Dane. Andersen sold it to Johannes Pitzner in 1967. Mark Pitzner continued the family tradition starting in 1977.

According to their website:

The Bakery specializes in carefully-baked Scandinavian products including Danish pastry, pumpernickel, and various other breads, cookies, and decorated cakes. They serve coffee, espresso drinks, and cold beverages in our small cafe. We also have a fine assortment of hard to find imported Scandinavian goods such as imported jams, cheeses, chocolates, lefse, etc.

We encourage all of our Readers to try to stop by, buy some of the Pitzner’s great bakery items and bid them a fond adieu. Once we learn more about the new owners, we’ll post another followup story.

Comments

7 Responses to “Longtime Burien Business Danish Bakery Sold, New Owners Take Over Oct. 15”
  1. Carrie says:

Lola will be missed and I seriously hope that they keep much of it the same including the name and sign, it is a B-Town Icon. There is something special about getting the same frog cupcake I had as a kid growing up.

• Shari says:

What a great idea, Carrie. That sign *is* iconic. While I don’t have lifelong memories of this bakery, I know how horrible it was in the late 80’s when Woerne’s in the U District sold and, although much stayed nominally the same, so much changed that it never felt the same again. And so many of us grieved the loss of that community gathering place. So I hope the specialness of the current bakery and its place in the community is preserved…or ,at least , that the signage is.

2. Rob says:

They will be missed. This is one of the few establishments that has been around since I was a kid. I hope the new owners respect some of the traditions that made this place great!

3. stacy colombel says:

It was a wonderful bakery and I will really miss them- and wish them well.

4. Lisa B. says:

🙁 Please don’t stop making kringles.

5. Chris says:

Wow, can’t believe it won’t be the Danish Bakery any longer! As some else mentioned, this is one of the few establishments that has been open since I was a kid. When my parents started letting me ride my bike into town, this was one of the places on my “route.”

First the Danish Bakery and now Sal’s Deli. I hope whoever it taking over the bakery will do it justice. They have stiff competition down the street, but if they put together a good product and a good scheme–it’ll work.

As far as Sal’s goes, I hope someone buys it and continues on with the “Sal’s Deli” name.

• Shari says:

Totally agree. This is a big double whammy. I honestly can’t imagine life without regular Sal’s visits. It’s a really special place also.