Results from the 2011 Brat Trot, Which Had 2x As Many Runners As Last Year
The third annual Burien Brat Trot 5K Fundraiser Run was a huge, crowded success in Olde Burien Sunday afternoon, with hundreds of runners and residents crowding the streets.
A total of 677 runners finished the main race, and we were told by Organizers that “over 900” registered, more than twice last year’s event.
The overall #1 finisher was Angelo Baca, 31. Baca works for the Highline School District as a Teacher in the Native Student and Family Wellness Initiative at Burien’s Big Picture High School.
When asked his secret for winning by 1:18 over last year’s champ Matt Parker, Baca said he has been training for “bigger races,” including upcoming Nationals in November and December (scroll down to see a video of him crossing the finish line).
Local Humorist and Author Shawn Underwood actually predicted Baca would win before the race even started, based on how he looked while waiting to start the run.
“He was totally in the zone,” Underwood said. “He appeared to be meditating, and he just had that look in his eyes.”
The top female finisher was Tori Zellerhoff, 17, a student at Decatur High School in Federal Way.
“I’ve been running track since first grade,” she said after the race, “so I’m used to running.”
The youngest top finisher was Aiden Basco, 12, of Burien, who came in 7th overall. Basco is a rising local runner who’s done well in previous races, including last March’s Cove to Clover.
Here are the Top 10 Finishers – to download a PDF of the Race Results, click here:
Burien Brat Trot 2011 Overall Finish List
- Angelo Baca, Seattle, 31 M 16:23.4
- Matt Parker*, Burien, 32 M 17:41.6
- Josh Nord, 16 M 17:45.8
- Jadon Nester, 14 M 18:08.2
- Sam Gustafsson, 16 M 18:09.8
- Joe Baisch, Burien 28 M 18:44.3
- Aiden Basco, Burien, 12 M 18:53.9
- Carl Rossi, Burien, 48 M 19:06.3
- Jason Cummings, 40 M 19:24.4
- Michael Davolt, Burien 27 M, 19:31.2
- The top Female finisher was Tori Zellerhoff, 17, with a time of 19:46.7.
*Last year’s Brat Trot winner, with a 2010 time of 18:00.4.
Here’s a video of Baca crossing the finish line in slow-motion:
The older runners to finish were:
- Ulla Neilsen, 77
- Robert Shirley, 71
- Gerry Delich, 71
The youngest runners (or were they simply ‘sitters’ in strollers?) were:
- Chanda Cincoha, 0
- Joanna Chow, 0
- Delilah Al Kaddah, 3
Some local celebs we recognized at the race include (we’re sure there were others, these are just some that we saw):
- Dan Satterberg, King County Prosecutor
- Mick Purdy, Co-Owner, Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub
- John Nelson, Race Organizer/Adobe
- Sherrill Miller, former Owner of E.B. Foote Winery
- Kevin Foxen of Kevin & Sean’s Pets
- Ashley Fosberg, Executive Director of the Highline Schools Foundation
- Catherine Carbone Rogers of the Highline School District
- Alan Spicciati, Interim Superintendent for Highline School District
Be sure to check back to The B-Town Blog for more info, including photos and a exclusive point-of-view HD video!