John Nelson, Scott Schaefer Elected To Board Of Discover Burien
Discover Burien elected two new members to its Board of Directors last week – local community Organizer and Adobe Senior Scientist John Nelson, and B-Town Blog Founder/Publisher/Editor Scott Schaefer.
The two will fill board seats vacated by local attorney and longtime board member Doug Moreland, as well as Sue Bean of the Highline Medical Center Foundation. Moreland stepped down in June due to a conflict with the City of Burien (read our coverage here), and Bean couldn’t commit the time required to fulfill her duties on the board.
DB’s board is comprised of 16 members, most of whom are local business leaders. In addition to newcomers Nelson and Schaefer, the current board includes:
- Brian Frederick, CFP – President, Cox Financial, LLC
- Lori Alden, VP, Prudential NW Realty
- Joseph A. Breidenbach, Attorney at Law
- Lynn Coleman, Jim Coleman DDS
- Erin Collins, Collins Chiropractic
- David Elliott, DG Elliott Financial Services
- Lynn Wallace, SWKCC
- Diane Summerhays, Port of Seattle
- Lynda Isernio, Sterling Savings Bank
- Bill Reid, Tellit Productions
- Jim Hughes, Sal’s Deli
- Juan Barron, CSL Electronics
“I hope to help usher in a few changes to allow Discover Burien to maximize its positive impact on our city’s image,” said new member John Nelson. “I’m excited to work with others on the board to take on the challenges our city faces as it grows.”
Nelson and Schaefer’s terms will last until 2014.
“I’m honored to have been elected,” Schaefer said to himself as he wrote this post. “Mr. Moreland leaves some pretty big shoes to fill, and John and I will do out best to fill them. My initial goal will be to help boost Discover Burien members through innovative marketing ideas, especially online via The B-Town Blog and various social media outlets.”
Some of the benefits of membership in this non-profit local business organization include:
A small fee gets you the numerous benefits of being a member and the knowledge that you are supporting the many things we do to make Burien a terrific community. We are constantly thinking about new ways to enhance the benefits of your membership. Here are a few benefits that you can currently enjoy: monthly newsletter, low cost copy machine service and bimonthly networking meetings with other business owners of Burien.
To help all new and existing Burien businesses succeed, we:
- Work with them to problem solve and provide education on available resources.
- Offer guidance on marketing and promoting business plans and assist with personnel.
- Serve as a liaison between businesses and city hall; along with economic development, restructuring and revitalization, signage and zoning issues.
- In the near future: list available commercial properties to match businesses with properties to fit their needs.
- Provide networking events aimed at recruiting of new clients and new businesses.
- Provide website designed to list members and provide links to their individual websites.
- Monthly Newsletter
- Weekly update listing the events & happenings.
- Member advertising discounts with local media outlets.
EDITOR’S NOTE: We’re posting the following picture only because we think it illustrates new DB board member John Nelson’s unwavering commitment to Burien (oh, and sorry John…we just couldn’t resist!):